Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JF ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 12:43AM

This story was told in General Conference:

"the General Authority felt the impression to have the members pay their tithing. The bishop, knowing their dire circumstances, was concerned about how he could carry out that counsel. He thought about it and decided he would approach some of the most faith-filled members of his ward and ask them to pay their tithing. The next Sunday he went to the Primary. He taught the children about the Lord’s law of tithing and asked if they would be willing to pay tithing on the money they earned. The children said they would. And they did. The bishop later went to the adults in the ward and shared with them that for the past six months their faithful children had been paying tithing. He asked them if they would be willing to follow the example of these children and do the same."

http://lds.org/general-conference/print/2011/04/become-as-a-little-child/?lang=eng

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 01:15AM

RPlease pardon me while I vomit. All these melodramatic stories about kids and jebus but where does it say that jebus believed rich cults should steal children's money?

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 02:55AM

There is a fundmental difference in a child tithing on his $2.00 and adults tithing instead of paying the mortgage or feeding their kids.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 09:14AM

Adults pay 10% of their gross income to the cult out of stupidity.

Children get robbed by cult leaders they've been taught to trust.

Big difference indeed.

Timothy

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 03:19AM

and I dare say it was the whole point of the talk. They got the woman to do it so it would seem all soft and less like an official demand. Con men!

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 03:36AM

I am absolutely appalled by this sick garbage. A boy with cancer who was too righteous to accept sedatives? Starving children commanded to pay a tithe?

This sick shit has got to stop. I want to use all my resources to debunk, debase, and discredit the fraud that is Mormonism. I will rail against it for the rest of my days.

Posted by: glad2bout ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 06:24AM

Don Bagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> This sick shit has got to stop. I want to use all
> my resources to debunk, debase, and discredit the
> fraud that is Mormonism. I will rail against it
> for the rest of my days.

That is good!

Glad2B Out

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 06:32AM

Tear it down bit by bit, lie by lie.

Date: April 09, 2011 06:34AM

derrida Wrote:
> Tear it down bit by bit, lie by lie.

By simply telling the truth. Amazing what the truth can do to those who choose not to be willfully ignorant or willfully blind.

Glad2B Out

Posted by: Provo 79 ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 11:40AM

Good for you Don, there are some things that are worthwhile -- such as working to loosen the stranglehold the LDS cult has on so many brain-washed people.

Balancing the universe requires many to "rail" againt this BS!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 07:36AM

Are they still doing this?

Pious little dupes all dressed in their best would stand in front of the pews with serious faces and arm folded against their chests as the crowd took their seats. The idea was to shame the adults into curbing their chatter and lightmindedness. If a kid could shut up and act holier than thou, surely, everyone else could also fall into line.

How did that plan work?

Using kids to shame other kids and adults is degrading to everyone involved.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 08:40AM

Cheryl Wrote:
> Are they still doing this?
>
> Pious little dupes all dressed in their best would
> stand in front of the pews with serious faces and
> arm folded against their chests as the crowd took
> their seats. The idea was to shame the adults
> into curbing their chatter and lightmindedness.
> If a kid could shut up and act holier than thou,
> surely, everyone else could also fall into line.
>

I've never heard of this at all! OMFG this curch is getting more and more appalling!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2011 08:41AM by imalive.

Date: April 09, 2011 08:48AM

It was pathetic. Some bishops would have a row of steadfast little kiddies in a row across the front of the pulpit every Sunday to shame everyone into submission who was chattering in the pews. The message? If mere children can keep their mouths shut and their arms folded, everyone can do it, so shut up already!

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 11:45AM

Ugh.

Posted by: sithlorddaddy ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 11:32AM

> Using kids to shame other kids and adults is
> degrading to everyone involved.

This even happened in our ward because my wife and I weren't following the WOW and we were "told" on. I hated it.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 07:40AM

I remember lessons about money when I was a primary kid. It wasn't about being responsible with money; it was about saving for a mission and giving tithing. From a young age, you are taught that your money goes to the church first.

I got a little bank that had 3 slots: tithing, mission and spending. Notice that spending came 3rd. We were even taught to tithe on birthday gift money, which is ridiculous because I never paid tithing on clothes, books or toys that I got, but if I got money to buy those things I had to give 10% to the church.

It's all about putting LDS, Inc. first in your life so that when you make real money, they get their taste first.

Date: April 09, 2011 08:03AM

A LDS three slotted bank? Wow.talk about brain washing. Since most likely the money came from a morgbot and they earned it and already paid the church, tssc is double dipping. But what else is new?

Are couples supposed to pay 10% of their wedding gift money? In which case.better to get gift cards.

I am looking forward to seeing the morgs decline in the next five years. I truly believe they are hurting for money. The God.mall was a huge mistake.

Date: April 09, 2011 08:52AM

This information gives a new meaning to suffer the children.

Glad2B Out

Posted by: JF ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 08:58AM

What if elementary school teachers asked the kids to give a portion of their lunch money to the school budget, then six months later finally told the parents about the "example" their kids were setting, and asked the parents to give money? There would be outrage, I guarantee.

Posted by: nwmcare ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 12:26PM

JF Wrote:
> What if elementary school teachers asked the kids
> to give a portion of their lunch money to the
> school budget, then six months later finally told
> the parents about the "example" their kids were
> setting, and asked the parents to give money?
> There would be outrage, I guarantee.

Guess what? The United States of America asks it's children to pay taxes. My kids do--because we save money for their college. Starting at birth, we began putting money away on a regular basis, and when they got to their teens, they were earning more than $500 in interest a year and therefore had to pay tax . . .

How much you want to bet some ward somewhere uses that as justification for asking kids to tithe . . . being a good Mormon is like being a good citizen????

Date: April 09, 2011 12:30PM

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 09:04AM

So he's equating the attributes of a loving and conscientious child with the willingness to pay tithing?

The rest of the article isn't even related to his convincing the children to pay and then using that to convince their parents.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 09:16AM

Our Heavenly Father knows children are a key to helping us become like Him.

Does God pay His tithing before spending his blessings on us?

It's time to review the Widows mite- she gave every thing because she was taught by the church to give even her very last to the church. It is just as Jesus had said in the previous verses- that that scribes rob the widows of their whole house. He does not commend her for doing it either. If you look at the next passage and the end of the story, Jesus says the whole temple will be gone one day. Thus the robbing of the widow for the sake of the temple was a waste.

If that Bishop and that Seventy were men of God instead of agents for the church, they would have worked out a plan to help the people instead of working out a plan to extract the widows mite (her whole house) from the people.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 09:22AM

It is incumbent on each parent, person, individual not to be suckered in.

Date: April 09, 2011 09:43AM

You don't blame the church? Mighty white of You. How about their greed? Guilt tripping them to pay when they can't pay their bills? Telling mothers that paying the church's graft is more important than paying the electric bill. Sucking huge amounts of money but only giving about one week's tithing to run their local programs. Never publishing what they do with the money?

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 10:49AM

It took me a long time to get here to separate chaff from the wheat, anybody with reasonable intelligence can do it.
Look, if the LDS Church gets away with this perks, I say they deserve it! If there's no tithepayer willing to ask accountability, they are free to wheel & deal.
look at this way; I pay almost fifty cents tax of each dollar I earn, If I could get away with paying less wouldn't I do it?

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 11:45AM

When I was maybe 12 or 13 and a holy little Beehive, I started paying tithing on the money my dad gave me for mowing the lawn. I gave more than 10% because I felt bad I hadn't been paying tithing up until that point. I went to tithing settlement at the end of the year (alone, my parents weren't LDS), and the bishop asked if I had really earned enough money that year to be paying that much tithing. I think I had paid about $120 in tithing, but I certainly hadn't earned $1200. I proudly told him that I paid extra because I hadn't ever paid tithing before. He said OK and sent me on my merry way. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 12:36PM

Isn't there a lesson or video somewhere that has little Timmy getting payed to mow Old Widow Jenkins lawn, and she pays him 10 silver dollars? He proudly shows his dad, and the dad says "Aren't you forgetting something?" Then little Timmy puts one silver dollar in for tithing...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.