Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: April 06, 2011 02:28AM

Found the talk about women working. He talked for 10 minutes. Praising and buttering up the women. And then it started.

It went something along the lines of this:

One woman, her decision betwee working or staying at home was the need for a new carpet and a second car she didn't really need. Another woman however, felt the biggest enemy of family life wasn't paid work, it was television. That the families are T.V rich, and family time poor. These are very emotional, personal decisions. But there are two principles that should always be remembered, that the woman never feels her income is insicnifacant, and should never be judged for her decision. And the couple should pray about this to see if this is the right decision.

This seems like a very different answer to the previous general conference's, are they ACTUALLY starting to begin to catch up with the times?

I feel so confused!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: April 06, 2011 08:10AM

They are on a mission to mainstream themselves as it will be to their ultimate political and monetary advantage. They also teach not to care about their past history. It is now that matters. And now that so many TBM women have to work, what are they going to do? Change some of their old fashioned ideas to be a little more pallitable and current. Ultimately the more women who work the more tithing dollars roll in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2011 08:11AM by suckafoo.

Posted by: derrida ( )
Date: April 06, 2011 08:12AM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 07:20AM

Now you see it, now you don't...

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 07:26AM

I think I've recently seen the origin of that phrase. The song "secret of survival" is amazing.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 11:30AM

Okay, I admit I should be ashamed of myself for agreeing on any point given over the mormon pulpit...

I hate my TV.
'tis true that I watch the Colbert report religiously, and I watch a good movie now and then, but my family watches the danged thing from the time they get home until they go to bed. And sometimes they will be perfectly happy sitting there the whole day. I can't do it-I'm too fidgety.

A friend of mine said he had the same trouble with his little ones. He would come home and they'd be jumping in him and they'd play and wrestle for a little while. Then the got cable and almost immediately that stopped. They were glued to TV and he actually has to turn it off to het them to notice him and that just makes them mad. So a year later he had it disconnected and by weeks end, they were back to playing and talking.

In my house when the tv is on we can't talk about school, shopping, taking a trip or anything else. Or it's like uh,huh, uh.huh with one ear trained on the tv and the other ear annoyed by the intrusion.

And I admit that sitting here typing this while ignoring my housework makes me just as guilty, but tv time is like duct-tape. Nobody can move or communicate until the commercial, and then its only for a minute.

Family time poor? You betcha.
If watching TV was what families was all about, we'd be on the cover of the Ensign already.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: April 11, 2011 12:07PM

JoD3:360 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, I admit I should be ashamed of myself for
> agreeing on any point given over the mormon
> pulpit...
>

I think lots of wise things have been said over the pulpit. The problem for me comes when Mormons think they have the corner-market on common sense... er revelation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.