Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: B'hamster ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 06:32PM

My small local paper, The Bellingham Herald, posted the AP story about an hour ago. (Very upper NW corner of Washington state)

Others?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 06:36PM

The Salt Lake Tribune in Utah had excellent coverage. The link has already been posted on another site.

Posted by: Loins of Fire ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 06:41PM

One of the main headlines on ABC News web page.

Posted by: saved by the board ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 06:45PM

On Yahoo&Google News...and Spirit Daily....may the negative PR begin.

Posted by: Upsetrm ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 08:44PM

in england, every major news outlet is covering it:

BBC
Guardian
Sky news
Daily Mail

Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 08:45PM

CBC news (radio)

Posted by: cultivate ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 08:46PM

USA Today, BBC, NY Times, TIME, Reuters, Boston Herald, Slate, Washington Post, Huffington Post, LA Times

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 09:20PM

Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 09:29PM

Right now, it's the second story in the U.S. Section of Google News.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 10:09PM

Just on the (public) radio

Posted by: helenahandbasket ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 10:19PM

It was briefly on the CBS evening news (national network)on TV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2014 10:20PM by helenahandbasket.

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 10:53PM

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 11:42PM

Aw, heck. I didn't get this kind of coverage when I was ex'd. She's on national news and I didn't even get a tee-shirt.

*** Bright idea alert! ***

BcE

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 11:49PM

She called the church "abusive" on an article on the FRONT PAGE of the NY Times.

That is a paper that is read by way more people than are members of the cult. She just got her message out to the National News.

Score of the game (PR game)
KK = 100
LDS = 0

Posted by: Virgil ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 12:53PM

bwahahaha go kate!

Posted by: AZanon ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 12:01AM

Well, my {exmo} mom sent it to me and she's a recluse somewhere in the Montana wilderness, so that's saying A LOT!!!

Posted by: Bao ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 12:08AM

I guess. I can't help but wonder if many will see it that differently than if a woman publicly crusaded for females to be appointed bishop, cardinal, or pope in the Catholic church. I have a hard time deciding if she's even genuine, or if she only wants to hurt TSCC. If she is genuine, the whole effort seems somewhat misguided.

I don't really understand people's fervent support of her on this site, other than the embarrassment she is causing LDSCORP. There are far more damning things that could be brought to light than focusing on an all-male clergy.

Posted by: Afemale ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 12:42AM

You are obviously a man. . .says the female.

Date: June 24, 2014 12:53AM

Yes, check my privilege and all that. Seriously though, might as well be a black person trying to change the KKK from within. What's the point? When an organization has 150+ years of misogyny, practiced by its founders, codified into its holy books, pervasive throughout most of its doctrine, really what is the point? KK is obviously quite intelligent, which is why I question her end-game.

Posted by: anoninnv ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 12:47AM

The difference is that the Catholic church allows members to openly disagree with church teachings as long as they don't act on them. Real example: Plenty of members crusading for woman's ordination in Catholicism but the only ones excommunicated are ones who performed rituals they are not permitted to do by church law; whereas KK is being excommunicated simply for speaking her mind by LDS Inc.

The difference is that although both churches refuse to ordain women, one of them at least allows them to talk about it.

Date: June 24, 2014 12:58AM

Sounds nice, but doesn't appear to be true. The catholic church can, and has, exed people for voicing heretical doctrine.
http://ncronline.org/news/global/australian-priest-advocate-womens-ordination-excommunicated

Date: June 24, 2014 01:01AM

From late 2013, so it's fairly new and I missed it. Thank you for the correction.

Posted by: tmac ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 08:45AM

This was a priest publicly advocating for women ordination. A lay person or even a sister would have been left alone for doing the same thing. Also, he had done other things to get himself into trouble. He celebrated Mass after the bishop took away his faculties to licitly celebrated Mass (priests have to have permission of the local bishop to celebrate any of the sacraments in the diocese). He also presided at a Mass where a dog received communion.

Date: June 24, 2014 10:24AM

Thank Tmac. It was late and only skimmed the article, so apparently my statement still holds true: he DID something to be excommunicated, not just words. Giving Communion to a dog would definitely qualify as breaking church law.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 09:25AM

Well, that's the difference between a religion and a CULT.

Posted by: lumanwalters ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 09:19AM

Take a women's studies class. Read about women's rights. Read about the struggle of educating women in 3rd world countries. So many support her not because she's "embarrassing the church" but because she's standing up against injustice and inequality. The discussions she was trying to create would create a better environment for my nieces and all the other girls in the church. It's way more than just the religion.

Posted by: Twice Indoctrinated ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 09:39AM

Here in Eastern WA it was all over the local news, who quoted her as saying she was deeply hurt by the decision.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 10:25AM

Religious love and equality for all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 10:26AM by liminal state.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 10:38AM

The news brought me back here .....

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 01:19PM

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 10:39AM

It spread to youtube...Awesome parody of the church's methods by our dear Brother Jake. Set to Oklahoma! "And if you say, there is a better way, Just shut up and, Obey!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB0iOc7t7e4

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 10:55AM

Southpark news show one day?

Posted by: b0yd ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 11:40AM

Australia
Main news web site main story plus picture.
And newspaper the next day

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 12:22PM

I love Brother Jake. Thanks for posting this video. LOL

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 01:05PM

Remember folks, this is not a done deal.
From the LDS point of view. (Not mine!)

It's not a life-long done deal. She can, if she wants, go through the LDS Church's Repentance Process to do everything to get her full membership back; attend meetings, follow the guidelines of the LDS Church, be re-baptized and do everything to show her worthiness to get her Temple Recommend back and enjoy all of the blessings of membership. That is what is offered her. That is how they do it This is about loving someone back into fellowship in their view.

It is not some kind of final edict unless she choose it to be. It's about love and being worthy to receive all of Heavenly Father's Blessings, in their view. It's a long process. People do it. It often takes around four years, but people who want to get back in the LDS Church after being excommunicated will do all they can to follow the brethren and show they have a testimony of "the only true church" with the keys of authority to act in the name of Jesus Christ in the latter-days. The choice is hers. That is their system. And it works for many people.

The choice is hers to decide what is next. What she does next will show the LDS Church what she believes. The question is: how much does she want to follow Heavenly Father's Plan and what is she willing to do to be worthy. That is the LDS Church's plan for people who are excommunicated.

This is what they teach. This is their system.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1990/09/a-chance-to-start-over-church-disciplinary-councils-and-the-restoration-of-blessings?lang=eng

Presented for information only in an attempt at greater understanding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 01:06PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 01:16PM

Excerpt from new Salt Lake Tribune article:

Women’s ordination advocate Kate Kelly said it’s unlikely she will seek rebaptism anytime soon into the LDS Church, which excommunicated her Monday.

"I’ve done nothing wrong and have nothing to repent," Kelly said in an interview. "Once the church changes to be a more inclusive place and once women are ordained, that’s a place I’d feel welcome."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58104587-78/women-kelly-church-ordain.html.csp

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 01:22PM

This is an arrogantly worded instruction to shut up and take a back seat from Ward bishop, Mark Harrison.

"The difficulty, Sister Kelly, is not that you say you have questions or even that you believe that women should receive the priesthood. The problem is that you have persisted in an aggressive effort to persuade other church members to your point of view and that your course of action has threatened to erode the faith of others," Harrison wrote. "You are entitled to your views, but you are not entitled to promote them and proselyte others to them while remaining in full fellowship in the church."

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 01:25PM

It was on the Good Morning America newsfeed as something like "Mormon activist excommunicated for promoting equal rights for women." Sorry I can't remember it exactly but it was something like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 01:26PM by CA girl.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.