Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 06:53PM

I've had some fucking shitty ass days. With last night taking the cake. Last night was bad.

And I swear if I hear one more person tell me, How they don't 'agree' with my veganism when they have no fucking clue. I'm going to drop kick someone. It's not easy and I don't do it for fun.

So I've been cheering myself up with watching this video. Some of you have seen it before, when I've shared it. It's not for those who don't like swearing.

theoatmeal.com/pterodactyl_video

What else you got RfM? What cheers you the fuck up?

Sorry for the excessive swearing. I really am struggling to keep my cool right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 07:29PM

Watch Monty Python's movie, "The Life of Brian." It skewers religious dogma and myth with a thousand punch lines. Also, their "Search for the Holy Grail."

People who criticize vegans are just upset because they can't ply you with milk or meat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2014 07:30PM by donbagley.

Date: June 23, 2014 09:54PM

I love the holy grail one :)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 07:40PM

Who cares what you eat? Have they invited you over for dinner? I think not. Case closed.

Date: June 23, 2014 09:53PM

Thanks summer :)

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 08:27PM

Yes. My wise grandmother taught us good manners, from Emily Post's old school or etiquette. One rule for the dinner table was: "It is rude to comment on what is on anyone else's plate. What they are eating is none of your business!"

I especially follow that rule. I have celiac disease, and the reactions to gluten can be life-threatening. With me, if something I eat even touches gluten (contamination) I start feeling very groggy, and a few hours later I get a severe pain in my upper abdomen, which can last for 6-8 hours. When that subsides, I can't eat for about four days. I can't absorb vitamins or nutrients for several weeks after than, and my immune system is compromised. Then, the autoimmune stuff starts to happen, which can be bad. I have learned the hard way what I can and can not eat. I don't want to talk about this, or explain it to people, other than my immediate family, because we cook and eat together. At a restaurant, I'm careful about what I order, and sometimes can't order anything at all. Most ladies are polite and don't comment on what I'm eating. I enjoy going to nice places, and chatting with friends over a cup of tea or a bowl of ice cream. One TBM friend says that she refuses to eat out with me anymore, because she looks like a pig eating a big meal, when I order hardly anything. No one is looking! Besides, she is much thinner than I am.

It is not their place to agree or disagree with what you eat or don't eat and why. If your friends and family can't deal with it, I say be done with them. They can stuff themselves at some dark, stinky steak house, and allow you to enjoy your lovely meal out on a patio. I'd rather eat alone than eat with food monitors.

Do you mention to them that when 99% of human beings see a cute little lamb or fawn or calf, that they would NOT want to bite into it and eat it? Does cooking it first make any difference? Sometimes you can argue religious issues on a practical, and not emotional level.

Most likely, you would get very sick if you ate meat, and I would get very sick if I ate wheat--don't we have a right to have good health? This makes me mad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2014 08:28PM by forestpal.

Date: June 23, 2014 08:30PM

Right?! No matter the reasons, it is not their business.

For the record, I am allergic to meat, dairy, and a shit ton of other things.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 09:29AM

I've known one other celiac's sufferer like you. I've seen mormons attack celiac sufferers with the whole 89th section thing about 'wheat is for man,' thereby proving that celiac's is not real. Then they say soemthing like "The scriptures tell us that you'll be blessed. you need to trust the scriptures!!' Mormons can be such twits.

Posted by: no mo lurker ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 10:45AM

OMG, as a Celiac if someone tried to tell me that Celiac is not real, I would rip them a new one. Seriously. Like Forestpal, I suffer for weeks after I get glutened. The smallest amount can make me sick. The intestinal symptoms aren't even the worst for me, it's the fatigue, apathy and depression that accompany them.

It's none of anyone's business what you eat. I am so sorry you had to go through this. It is really hard in this culture for people who have diet restrictions. Others don't understand.

A family member died recently and we had a typical small town southern funeral, with the large meal afterwards. I sat there not eating and about 10 different people were trying to get me to eat. They were nice about it, but it got annoying after a while. I finally had to tell them, "I'm on a medically restricted diet."

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 08:34PM

I find that the older I get, the less I put up with people telling me that I should be what they want me to be. More and more I have the attitude of, "This is me. You can either deal with that, or you can't, but it's not my problem."

Date: June 23, 2014 09:53PM

Normally I can do that. The vegan thing was just the icing on the cake of a shitty weekend.

I can usually brush off or diffuse with humor.

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 09:57PM

You're a vegan? Yea for you! Welcome to the team!

It's been nine years for me. Don't worry, they'll lose interest soon enough.

If you're sick of the arguing, just come up with a mantra either "it's for ethical reasons" or "it's for health reasons" and then smile wanly and don't engage. If they persist in picking, picking, picking, refer them to nutritionfacts.org or adapt.org.

Good luck! And congrats!

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 09:59PM

Date: June 24, 2014 08:40AM

I've been vegan for almost two years now.

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 10:52PM

My 39 year old daughter is a vegan, a raw vegan. As a child she suffered from juvenile arthritis so badly that she was expected to be in a wheelchair permanently by the age of 21. After fifteen years of veganism she no longer suffers from arthritis and runs half marathons. She has a lovely figure and the best looking skin in the whole family.

So next time some ignorant arsehole comments on what you are eating, put your fork down, look them in the eye and say quietly, "I am a vegan, you really should try it yourself, less body odour, less wrinkles, better skin, more energy and the health benefits are amazing."

Date: June 24, 2014 08:41AM

Hahaha I love your suggested response. Thank you :)

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 10:59PM

Tell them it is best for YOU! I have enough food allergies to fill a book. Nuts,eggs, wheat, dairy, chocolate, seafood and on....people need to get over themselves.

Been dealing with idiots my whole life. Until someone slipped me something, must have been lying about the allergy, and ended up in the ER on two bites. Yep all in my head.

Date: June 24, 2014 08:40AM

Don't you love hearing about how your food allergies are all in your head? *snort*

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 09:22AM

To red meat, chicken of even fish....
80% or more what we eat is redundant, does not contribute to our survival, besides making us Faat.

Date: June 24, 2014 08:07PM

Come join us. It's fun over here ;)

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 10:13AM

You are such a ray of sunshine around here, Fidge. Sorry to hear you are having a bad week.

It's easy for some to give glib advice on topics about which they know nothing and that don't impact their lives or well-being. They need a clue-by-4 to the part of their brains where empathy would be in use if it wasn't in hibernation due to terminal lack of activity.

Keep standing up for yourself, setting those boundaries and reinforcing that spine of steel.

p.s. IMO, you don't need to apologize for swearing.

Date: June 24, 2014 08:08PM

Surrender Dorothy, you Never fail to make me feel better. You are one of the people that first reached out to me here and I will forever thank you and love you for it.

If you'd like to exchange emails, I would love that. Please let me know.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: June 25, 2014 12:31AM

I would love that, Fidget. I think Susan I/S still does e-addy exchanges.

I admire the hell out of your natural gift for exuding kindness and warmth while kicking a$$. ;-) It is a rare ability.

Posted by: postpostmormon ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 11:04AM

Don't you love fat, smug mormons thinking they have the final pronouncement on health laws with the WOW? Most of which has been scientifically proven to be false. Contrary to what Mormons think, Seventh Day Adventists are actually the healthier and longer living religious denomination, which is attributed to the fact that they are vegetarian, and many are vegan.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 11:24AM

Fidget,
1) Holy Grail is easily in the top 5 of my favorite all time movies. I have used it several times to cheer me up.
2) Like yourself, I too have close family members who are still in. Because I can relate, some of your posts have been very helpful to me. I bet there are tons of people on here that can say the same thing. I hope this fact cheers you up.
3) You are passionate about your beliefs. I can feel the passion in a lot of your posts. If we ever meet in real life, remind me not to piss you off. :-)
4) I have a niece who is vegan. When she first started, I was skeptical, thinking this is another one of her "fads". But it has been >5 years and she is still with it. She leads a very healthy lifestyle.
5) Sending positive energy your way. Remember, you are well liked many. :-)

Date: June 24, 2014 08:09PM

Misterzelph, you make me blush. ;)

Oh and yes, if you ever meet me it would be wise to wear a cup as The oncoming storm-Bc will joke with you about. I am passionate about my beliefs, but also willing to change them :D

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 11:30AM

I'm vegetarian and I've never been harassed for it for some reason.

Lately I've been cheering myself up with this: http://youtu.be/bLBSoC_2IY8?t=5m53s

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: June 25, 2014 12:41AM

Not a Vegan here..but Veganism rocks!

Many friends and people I work with are Vegan (including Doctors!) and we all support each other for what keeps us healthy!

Rock on,
RMM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.