Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 09:38PM

Most days I ignore the comments on facebook but today I decided to see what all the talk was about on them. Time and time again I read "it's the fastest growing church". Do they really believe this? If so does anyone know of anyplace where I can rebut those claims? And yes I know there are no official numbers since the church hides data from it's members.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: m52345 ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 09:57PM

Can't find the link now. Do a search on exmormon.org for cumorah.com stats.

Cumorah.com shows unit growth. In the 80s, it was 3-4%. It slowed down over last few decades.

Now unit growth (past 5 years) is .2-.8%.

This is a slower growth rate than the U.S. population and much slower than the world population.

In other words, the church is totally dying. Anybody who believes it's growing (relative to the rest of the population) doesn't have their facts straight.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 10:13PM

Thank you.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 10:14PM

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 23, 2014 10:24PM

Fastest growing? Growing sheep? Sorry sheep.

My other answer 10 minutes ago?
Don Bagley beat me to it.

M@t

Posted by: iplayedjoe ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 12:21AM

Yes.

AndIPlayedJoe

Posted by: sassypants ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 04:43AM

I suspect that most rank and file TBM's do believe it. A link was provided on another site which gives a better global perspective:

http://www.pewforum.org/2012/12/18/global-religious-landscape-exec/

The link states 2.2 billion Christians worldwide and the church states that they have 15 million members which many believe only ~5 million are active. So, even if it was growing quickly, it's barely a drop in a vast ocean.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 08:19AM

Hey. Mormons believe what they are told to believe, damn it!

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 11:22AM

Yes they do believe it. Proper Mormons believe what they are told and don't care for frivolous things such as research and numbers. They take it on faith that what they're told is true - and they are told that the church is growing.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 11:30AM

Yes they do. My TBM brother likes to brag about this Washington Times article from 2012:

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/may/2/muslim-mormon-growth-spurts-found/?page=all

And he refuses to believe that the church uses shady accounting practices to artificially inflate their numbers.

Date: June 24, 2014 11:44AM

Perhaps on paper only (when numbers are inflated, exaggerated and manipulated): bodies in chapels or including DEAD bodies? Who cares who has more babies? Surely they also count children even before they are baptized, just in case someday they may become members.

In actuality- in terms of doing good in the world, lives changed and leading by example- growth is negligible.

The only way the church is growing is by lies- it's nose is getting bigger.

M@t

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2014 11:47AM by moremany.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 11:53AM

I know it seems trivial to many, but this one little thing, purporting that TSCC is 15 MILLION MEMBERS STRONG AND GROWING, tells me I can't trust what these men are saying about other important issues of the day.

They kNOW how many people attend at least Sacrament Meeting EVERY Sunday in EVERY congregation in the world.

What's that number?

I say less than 6 million. That's the so what for me. So what does it matter? It matters because I cannot trust the top leaders of TSCC.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 12:11PM

I have the number of self-identifying Mormons in the world at 3 to 5 million. For me 6 million is a reach and would require a generous label for a Mormon, perhaps the kids of Mormon parents that are under 8 counted as members and excommunicated Mormons that are trying to stay associate or return.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 12:08PM

Mormons believe what they are told by their Church.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 12:54PM

A VERY easy way to rebut those claims is to research the membership numbers for Jehovah's Witnesses and Seventh Day Adventists - the 2 other U.S. bases churches that do missionary work. Both are younger than the lds church and both have more members. Note on Jehovah's Witnesses - they often count their active missionaries - around 5 million, but if you did deeper you can find the number of people who attended at least one church service later year - about 18 million.

Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 02:17PM

Stating growth rates by percentage is kind of silly anyway. There are 1.6 billion Muslims, so just having children adds tens of millions of new Muslims every single year.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 02:31PM

The number of members and growth rates would never matter to a genuine religion which would be much more interested in the quality of those who belong.

Numbers and growth rates would matter to a CULT that is desperately trying to "sell" its bullshit. Unsubstantiated questionable claims are par for the course for CULTs.

Date: June 24, 2014 03:30PM

Mormons believe anything (ET says).
They believe "the church is true" and it all rolls downhill from there.

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 05:08PM

Didn't HQ oficially disavow this notion a while ago? I thought it was on their website somewhere.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: June 24, 2014 05:29PM

They shouldn't say that. Too easy to debunk, why display so openly the fact that they are a pack of damn liars?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.