Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: msp ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 03:27PM

I thought that my recovery was going fairly well in the sense that situations involving tscc-related topics were not triggering feelings of anger, anxiety, or stress. But I saw this on facebook today and had to take a minute to breathe and compose myself. Just how many completely arrogant and thought-stopping "counsels" are contained in this quote?

"Church members will live in this wheat-and-tares situation until the Millennium. Some real tares even masquerade as wheat, including the few eager individuals who lecture the rest of us about Church doctrines in which they no longer believe. They criticize the use of Church resources to which they no longer contribute. They condescendingly seek to counsel the Brethren whom they no longer sustain. Confrontive, except of themselves, of course, they leave the Church, but they cannot leave the Church alone."
-Neal Maxwell, "Becometh as A Child", Ensign, May 1996

I already have a response in mind (and maybe I'll just type it out and delete it in order to get these unpleasant thoughts and feelings out of me), but I was curious as to how, if at all, you would respond to something like this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2014 03:28PM by msp.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 03:29PM

Judgmental myopic idiot.

just my opinion though

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 03:39PM

That leave the church but can't leave it alone line akways bothered me because I did my best for 15 years to get the fuck away from them and yet they kept hunting me down, sharing my contact info and harrassing me after I told them I wasn't interested.
At this point, it is turn around is fair play time!
I won't leave them alone either. I gave them 15 hears to forget about me, but nooooo they did not.
I figure they've asked for it.

Posted by: PaintingintheWIN ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 03:57PM

Lds generated alliteration : how come when you leave the church you cant leave it alone

Is lds generated neutolinguistics with an embedded command
Leave the church alone
Leave the church leave the church alone

No communication articulation critical thinking invited fir a lifetime! Lol

Fortunately for me, I dont listen to them, lol why this command came into popular culture before amazon self publishes books!

Critical thinking about gender inequity in sn organization could be a masters degree or even a phd specialty/ with all the conventions break out sessions books professional articals online web classes (you could run them) or real time college lectures-
All based on your favorite topic critically thinking a out the lds church

It could be a career if thsts what you care about, or simply a series of books, lectures, videos and podcasts, a youtube channel

Why should anyone stop talking about their home town? Their ancestors, their narrative they report ?

Leaving the garments in the trash does not mean leaving my mind and my voice and my keyboard and my dragon writer !

Who are these people who dare suggest exmos leave off critical thinking when they leave their garments on the ground in a garbage dumpster!

Posted by: PaintingintheWIN ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 04:07PM

I didnt realize clearly until today he was stating a command or expectation, and checking in with ne to see if I had obeyed him ( not published a critical thinking narrative about tge lds church)

Next time he says - name, pause, how come when people leave the church you wont leave tge church alone (with his emotional emphasis and timing just like a missionary
Discussion point he mrmorized)

I will respond with because I threw my garments away -- (insert name here ) ( pause) not my criticsl thinking skills

Or not my intelligence
Or not my talent

Then hand him a book sales card or webinar or short stories amazon purchase link

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 04:01PM

Same here, WinksWinks. I think that part of this post was what really pushed my buttons. Although the mormons who know of my disbelief are generally respectful of my wishes, the goings-on of tscc continues to affect my family and friends. Of course I can't help but, at the very least, voice my opinion when I see ldsc actively harming my loved ones! That doesn't even go into my own identity crisis once I learned the truth and the ground shattered beneath my feet.
Without going into my own personal history, I posted a respectful and level-headed reply. I'm not looking for an argument or even expect a response, but I certainly can't stand letting this be posted without consequence. Far from supposing myself to be "good", this is in line with the idea that "evil wins when good men do nothing".

Date: June 26, 2014 04:25PM

There is nothing wrong with posting public safety messages like, "Most people are aware you should not leave your minor child alone behind a closed door with a man in a position of authority who wants to ask them questions about their sexuality or if they touch themselves."
I don't even think of that as being overly critical of the church, more of a public service announcement for the socially disadvantaged.

I save my true "tearing down of the church" for seperate websites like this one and private groups on FB, but you are so right... Good men should not stand by as terrible messages are disseminted.

Posted by: CakeOrDeath ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 04:09PM

Absolutely. I was doing fine after leaving the cult, until my spouse and I bought a house.

At that point, the Mormons found me, and we all know what happens then!

It was trying to find a way to get them to stop harassing me that led me to this site... And, Hoo boy, I sure have a lot more info now after finding RFM than I had before! All due to their stalking behavior.

I think the thing that gets me the most about this particular issue, is that they willfully disrespect me (they will not listen to me, they will not stop bothering me, they will not stop contacting me after years of repeatedly telling, asking, demanding that they STOP), and yet... They demand and expect that I give THEM absolute respect in return.

What? Yeah, that's not how it works guys. If ya wanna dish it out, better be able to take it.

Date: June 26, 2014 04:19PM

Absofuckinglutely!

I went further than most, living out of my car and camping year round for a few years.
I did not realize it was my mom siccing them on me the entire time. Somehow it's extra creepy that way.
And she's also the one who has asked me several times not to participate in "pulling the church down".
Should have thought of that before you gave my address to disabled relatives who wanted to marry me, or if I wasn't interested in marrying, to take advantage of me monetarily. Oh, AND the missionaries.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 03:56PM

What happened to "Judge not, lest ye be judged" and the second principle, Love they neighbor as thyself?"

Date: June 26, 2014 04:13PM

It's much more fun to worry about the secret combinations within your secret combination.

Posted by: PsintingintheWIN ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 04:17PM

Thats love. Loving your neighbor doesnt mesn not mentioning a new cure to the plague thst ails them. & you know mormonism or mormon evangelism is a plague, a social plague.

Being quiet wont solve snything, they plague you all slong

No you do not have to be quiet a cipher getting walked on imposed on criticized. & marginalized in the name if love.

Posted by: fearguiltpromise ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 04:31PM

Comebacks...

Why is it I can leave your church, but your church can't leave me alone?

Why does your church teach you to pester the shit out out of me?

Are you just trying to get me to react so you can say: You left the church, but you can't leave it alone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2014 04:34PM by fearguiltpromise.

Posted by: Jack Rabbit ( )
Date: June 26, 2014 04:50PM

Can't leave it alone? Can't leave it alone?!! Are you kidding me?

I've got the HTers coming by, the VTers, the ward mission leader, the missionaries, the bishop visits, the stake prez, the primary presidency calling about the activity on Saturday, some guy calling about cleaning the building during said activity, do-gooders coming by at 7:30 am and after 9 pm when the kids are asleep.

"We missed you at church!"

No, you didn't! You didn't miss me. You weren't saddened by my absence. I've got people emailing me at work, people sending letters, the underwear police patting me on the shoulder, ward members I hardly know pretending they care or calling to ask "Is there anything we can do for you? Did you know there is basketball on Wednesday nights?"

Go away! You leave ME alone!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.