Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: June 27, 2014 03:45PM

New season started this week, I really enjoy this show. Read all the blogs and watch every show, will also watch the feeds.

I think anyone studying Mormonism might really want to take a look at how people relate to other people in a closed environment. Paranoia starts to set in when some worry about what others might be doing. Arguments and fights happen when people don't see eye to eye, or hear things that may or may not be true. This show emphasizes power; those who win competitions win power, and with that comes the ability to dictate what the house should do. Probably not much different than a typical ward.

It's strange to note that, with this being its 16th season, there STILL has yet to be any houseguests from Utah or anyone Mormon. Strange because Survivor has had quite a few of them on its show, a TBM girl even finished second during the fourth season. Contrary to what some think, there's very little sex that ever happens in the house. I've heard that story about this YBU student kicked out because she appeared on The Real World, would that have something to do with it, and since Survivor is taped they can be easier on it?

Any fans?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: June 27, 2014 03:54PM

I used to watch, it's probably been close to ten years since I have though.

I've been in the House and to a few after parties.

Remember that year there was a Doctor? He was getting some about 5 minutes after they let him out of the house in an office right next door.

Date: June 27, 2014 03:58PM

You've actually been IN the house, on the Studio City lot? I once saw the exterior of the backyard fence from Colfax Street, that's as close as I got.

I never heard any story about Dr. Will performing "examinations" like that.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 04:13PM

Yes in the house, both in where the cast lives and in the walls where the cameras are. Not while the show was filming though, the day it ended and family and friends could go in and check it out.

Date: July 03, 2018 01:45PM

Posted by: honest1 ( )
Date: June 27, 2014 03:58PM

Yeah, I like it. Some changes this yr. Will have to see about the secret alliance of three. Could be good or one may tell. I have found that near the end someone I really wanted to stay gets booted. That part is sad. Worse than Idol when that happens. But I will watch again this summer.

Date: July 02, 2014 12:47PM

Maybe Elder Tadpole Callister should feel vindicated if he's watching this. Seems like Caleb has obsessive thoughts for Amber.

Seems like Joey's going home Thursday.

Posted by: Nevermoinoregon ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 03:34PM

I love Big Brother! I have watched every episode of every season. It is interesting that we haven't seen a mormon on the show as many other religions have been represented. This year there is Victoria, an Orthodox Jew, and she has to eat kosher and I believe cannot sleep with others. I heard something on the feeds about her requests for a partition or curtain for her bed. Kaysar from BB8 was Muslim and of course many, many Christians have appeared. I think a mormon would have a tough time unless they refrained from discussing their religion, which most have a hard time doing in my experience.

So far I really like Frankie and Christine. Devin is a meat head. and can go anytime. I wanted to dislike Zach but he is growing on me. And Caleb...my oh my his obesession with Amber is a bit off putting.

Date: July 13, 2014 03:10PM

Funny how Vic seems to act like TBMs in that regard. They've had lots of Jews on the show; never had that issue before.

BTW anyone remember Sister Cunial and her "Team Christ" alliance?
http://bigbrother.wikia.com/wiki/Team_Christ

Posted by: BB fan ( )
Date: July 02, 2014 06:34PM

There are no mormons because The show casts the same personality types over and over.

The redneck
The gay guy
The black girl
The party girl
The old guy
The nerdy girl
The meat head guy
Etc.

The show is interesting but too predictable not to mention they have to have a racist controversy to pump ratings.

Allison Grodner needs to change up the casting.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 03, 2014 03:04AM

a gay guy and his partner (mid-40's) were asked if they would consider "big brothering" a teen-age boy from another state because the kid stated he was going to kill himself if they didn't quit trying to "convert" him (a la Evergreen).

I'll call our gay member "Big John" - he is a mental health counselor, and a great guy. His partner is a wispy little fellow who does some of the coolest art pieces I have ever seen.

There was a great deal of tip-toeing around before BB/BS allowed them to meet this young man, whom I'll call Will. Will had been beaten up by classmates, dropped out of school, lived and was brutalized in the streets. . .not a great background.

So Big John and his partner offered to work with this kid, and while they did set some reasonable limits for him when he was with them, he could deal with them. He asked if he could bring his current partner over for supper - but only if Big John made his Incredible Lasagna. Of course Everyone was a little nervous at first but they all got along very well.

In a nutshell, Big John's partner was allowed to become a Big Brother for Will's partner. Both boys are in college apprenticeship programs and are doing well. They are no longer ashamed of who and what they are, and that has transformed them.

Neither boy's parents will have anything to do with ANY of them (which seems to have worked out fine) and it looks like both boys have promising careers ahead of them. They know that it is OK to be who they are, and they have grown tremendously from that.

It starts with acceptance, and grows from there.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 03:32PM

I've never really liked it. It's just a bunch of tools living in a house together.

Date: August 01, 2014 02:33PM

Anybody here think the way Caleb has treated Amber the last two weeks is not unlike what happens in some TBM marriages?

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 01, 2014 05:29PM

Nope. It's fake like most all reality shows are!! The big hint is that these shows are fake is that they have a "casting director"!

Date: September 17, 2014 06:39PM

Last week for the show.

If no TSCC members want to apply for next year's show, then how about some exmos here? Any takers?

Date: June 26, 2015 03:26PM

17 seasons down......still no current or former Morg members participating..... :(

But anyway, it will be interesting if this unfortunate recent trend towards unanimous votes to evict in the early weeks continues. This is the same problem as it is with votes to "Sustain the Prophet". It explains why those few dissenters at the last GC are going through so much criticism. You must vote to evict the person most of the house has deemed the target. Even if that person is your friend, you must go with the house; otherwise it will be YOU who gets targeted the next week.

I feel for all those who, either at GC in person or at Sunday services, feel obligated to raise their hands, even if they really don't want to.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 03:43PM

Haven't watched it in years because it's fake. Any so called "reality show" that has a casting director it's a huge sign it's fake and not real.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 04:54PM

Of course it's fake...in that it is highly edited and all on camera participants are aware that they are being scrutinized by viewers, directors and producers and that they are expected to perform like trained monkeys, yep-fake. They have all been carefully chosen to provide a mix of personalities that ensures lively interaction.

But does that mean it's not entertaining or needs to be boycotted by viewers because some smarty pants viewers have skillfully figured out that it is fake?

Nah.

It's still worth watching just to see if anything unexpected pops up (spoiler alert...yes, unexpected things do happen)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 05:24PM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 05:57PM

We are subject to 2 versions of this crap, as Canada thinks it needs it's own version. NOT! 2 more channels off our schedule. Hard to avoid this pestilence on our senses from our TV screens. Good thing there are some good British crime drama's on BBC Canada and our two provincial public broadcasters.

Ron Burr

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 06:01PM

One man's crap...

I would hope that there is room for all manner of taste in entertainment.

Watch your stuffy proper shows and I'll watch the lowbrow crap and enjoy it!

Cheers!

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 07:20PM

I just don't see the appeal. It seems so contrived and predictable. Oh, it is also uninteresting, at least it is for me.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 10:05PM

I'd rather watch paint dry...it's as boring as many of these so called "reality" shows and just as exciting!!

Posted by: cristib ( )
Date: June 26, 2015 08:08PM

Oh, you silly people!

Big Brother, Survivor, The Bachelor/ette, The Briefcase (I am just waiting for it to backfire!) and the like are shows that are meant to provide entertainment for brainless dopes like me! You aren't supposed to learn anything. You are free to express your dismay at the stupidity (I swear most of it is scripted, for all they say it isn't), and be amazed at some of the inventive/creative ways others handle themselves.

To see all that drama on TV, and have to put up with it in family circles as 'normal' (no it's not!) and can be enjoyed. To give my brain a break from over analyzing things. The opportunity to let my husband have his 'video affair' and me not feel guilty having a 'computer affair' (spending all my time on the 'puter).

So, yeah, I'm watching. I got a kick out of the 'first' transgendered person this season. I also get a kick out of both of the poker dealers lying about who they are! Yeah. This season could be an interesting one.

Date: August 10, 2015 10:40PM

Bummer that this story involved JWs and not our favorite cult.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3nghrJd5UI

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 10, 2015 11:30PM

No...never...

RB

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.