Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sandie ( )
Date: June 27, 2014 10:08PM

I received a phone call from a member of the Community of Christ stating that the Community of Christ was receiving "loads and loads" of phone calls from unhappy LDS members asking questions or just showing up at the doors of Community of Christ churches asking questions and attending their meetings.

The deluge of calls and visits prompted CofC head quarters to send out a letter to the mission presidents and pastors to let them know of the deluge of LDS contacts.

Note to LDS church: It's time to progress in to the 21st century.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 10:10PM by danielle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: June 27, 2014 10:16PM

any articles on this?

Date: June 27, 2014 10:18PM

No articles, but the person whom called me was a mission president. Mission presidents are laterally equivalent to LDS stake presidents.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 10:21PM by danielle.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: June 27, 2014 10:23PM

Interesting.
Is there any way you could get copy of one of those letters?

Date: June 27, 2014 10:26PM

I will be talking to him again tomorrow. I can ask him for a copy and see if he will release it.

Oh... Happy day!

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: June 27, 2014 10:49PM

Danielle, if you weren't aware, one long-time poster here, Dale Broadhurst, was an RLDS elder until recently.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: June 27, 2014 10:25PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 10:26PM by MJ.

Date: June 27, 2014 10:28PM

Yes, but at least I would be able to hold the priesthood there!

Date: June 27, 2014 10:30PM

Date: June 27, 2014 10:31PM

Jealous? At least I'm not receiving a plate of cookies with unknown ingredients prepared by possibly unsanitary hands. Ha!

Date: June 27, 2014 10:35PM

Hardly. But hey, if having a religion suck up to you to get you to be a member makes you feel better about yourself, more power to you.

Go hold a priesthood, if that's what it takes for you.

I am not jealous, I think it sad that you seem to be getting off on it.

Date: June 27, 2014 10:42PM

"getting off?" That term sounds kind of kinky. Do I need the priesthood for this? :-)

You have the last word since I have been up since 3:30 a.m. Good night.

Date: June 27, 2014 10:48PM

Word.

If you want, I'll send the Jehovah witness, Scientology and the 7th day Adventists your way. I am sure they would suck up to you just as much to convert a disgruntled Mormon.

BTW, it was you that brought up holding the priesthood. Don't blame me for supporting what you seem to desperately crave.

Posted by: honest1 ( )
Date: June 27, 2014 10:41PM

What do they believe and what would entice a Mormon to go there. I am unfamiliar with them.

Date: June 27, 2014 10:45PM

Community of Christ was formerly known as the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_of_Christ

Date: June 27, 2014 10:48PM

They ordain women to the priesthood.
One of their apostles is a woman.
They have discounted the BofM. You don't need to believe what is written in it.
They do not have the Book of Abraham.
The have added to the D&C.
They have the Articles of Faith but do not use them. However, they have archived them as part of their religious, doctrinal past.
Men and women are not ordained at a certain age.
Their prophet does obtain revelation for the church, but the revelation is voted on by the membership and must have the membership's approval prior to adoption by the church as doctrine.

Please add to the list...

Date: June 27, 2014 10:52PM

And they demand celibacy of gays that enter the priesthood.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: June 27, 2014 11:55PM

Do you have any information on that which is more recent than this, from wikipedia?

"In 2012 Community of Christ held national conferences in Canada and Australia both of which recommended to Community of Christ leadership to change standing policies regarding ordination to include those in same sex marriage (Canada) and in same sex (marriage like) committed relationships (Australia) and in Canada to extend the sacrament of marriage to same sex couples. Official policy changes for these nations have since been released that follow the recommendations of these conferences. Community of Christ's 2013 USA National Conference like those in Canada and Australia recommended changes. Those changes were to recommended for the extension of the sacrament of marriage to same-sex couples in states where same-sex marriages are legal, the extension of covenant commitment services for same-sex couples in states where same-sex marriages are not yet legal, and extending eligibility for the priesthood call sacrament to all church members regardless of sexual orientation or open same-sex relationship. As a result of these recommendation church leadership released in March 2014 policy embracing the recommendations for the church in the United States. The British Isles held a special multi nation conference in 2013 which also recommended changes to policy similar to those of Canada, Australia, and the United States. The changes have yet to be approved by the First Presidency and Council of Twelve for the British Isles, with the likely timeframe to "develop, approve, and implement interim policies" being up to one year after the 2013 Conferences."

Date: June 28, 2014 12:07AM

https://www.cofchrist.org/policy/01-2013statement.asp

while Canada and Australia may ordain gay married priests, there is no record that I can find that the change has happened in the USA. The anti gay stuff is still listed as doctrine.

Of course this would mean an actual change in Doctrine. Around here, change in doctrine for TSCC is held up as proof TSCC is false. Some how there seems to be a double standard where churches other than TSCC get praised and held up as examples of what churches should be when they change their doctrine.

They don't strike me as a place of moral guidance, but rather just another institution that changes its moral guidance in order to stay relevant in a society that is leaving them behind.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2014 12:11AM by MJ.

Posted by: CoC Sympathizer ( )
Date: June 28, 2014 02:10PM

The USA national conference happened in April, 2013 -- they made the same decision as the Canadians and Australians before them. They now perform wedding ceremonies for same-sex couples, and also ordain openly gay people to the priesthood. Including those who are married or in a committed relationship.

Date: June 28, 2014 02:19PM

That is, to me Hypocrisy which, IMHO just as bad.

If you want to do gay marriage don't be part of an organization that from the top, disagrees gay marriage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2014 02:20PM by MJ.

Date: June 28, 2014 02:30PM

I don't know, it seems more nuanced than that to me. I think the CoC FP actually does support gay marriage, at least implicitly. But they're only willing to go wherever the people lead them, and they're also aware of cultural differences where some changes like gay marriage might not be appropriate. They have strong membership in places like Haiti, or some countries in Africa, where gay rights are really far behind where they are in North America. To support gay marriage in those places would be equivalent to abandoning their membership in those places -- or putting them at legal risk -- which is a sacrifice they're not willing to take.

That's why they decided about 4 years ago to go the way of national conferences -- so they can make the decision in the US, or Canada, or Australia, without having an equivalent negative impact in Africa.

Date: June 28, 2014 02:44PM

From CoC web page stated as doctrine:

The sacrament of marriage is for one man and one woman who become husband and wife.

Community of Christ priesthood members are not authorized by the church to perform same-sex/gender marriages even if they are legal in the civil jurisdiction where the marriage will be performed.

People of same-sex/gender orientation can be considered for priesthood calls, according to established standards and procedures, if they abstain from homosexual activity.

^^^^ That is the official teaching of CoC and to asked because slightly more than a year ago, some parts of the church started going against the hate does not reflect positively for them. That is their official stance. I will take that as their official stance event though they grant exceptions to their official stance.

They will hypocritically go against their own doctrine to make exemptions to their doctrine, but this has been slightly less than a year ago. Up till then they were part of the problem. Their official doctrine still is.

Again, CoC is showing that it does not have moral ground to claim moral leadership. They are simply changing after society has changed in order to stay relevant.

All of this should be seen as a criticism of CoC, and I do not understand why you keep telling me that a critical flaw is somehow a positive thing.

Changing doctrine is a sign of a false chruch.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2014 02:50PM by MJ.

Date: June 27, 2014 10:53PM

More additions:
They've never practiced polygamy
They don't have the weird temple ceremonies

Also, I believe they claim (or at least used to claim) that JS never practiced polygamy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 10:58PM by hangar18.

Date: June 28, 2014 02:32PM

They've become more honest in the last couple of decades about JS's participation in polygamy. But they still hold to the opinion that, even if JS practiced it, it was still wrong.

Posted by: honest1 ( )
Date: June 28, 2014 12:40AM

Do they have to wear special undies and do they have a temple?

Date: June 28, 2014 02:04AM

They have a temple. From what I understand they use it differently.

http://www.cofchrist.org/visit/images/Doty-IHQ.jpg

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: June 28, 2014 02:23AM

I've been in their temple in Independence Missouri (open to the public). It's just used as a place of reflection and meeting (there is a stage with theater style seating. Think Kirtland temple type of worship. No masonic rituals, clothing, etc.

Date: June 27, 2014 10:59PM

Wow, that looks eerily similar to something in my wife's drawer

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 28, 2014 02:37PM

And off they go -- finding something that fits their ideas more closely... church shopping. It's been done for eons!

As a convert, I saw it often. Someone doesn't like a particular minister, they change congregations or affiliations all together.

Kinda fun, actually. It's so.. well... American! :-)

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: June 28, 2014 02:45PM

Here's a Blog post from Saints Herald--a CoC blog:

Thirty Years of Lessons: Women and Gays in the Community of Christ by Rich Brown

http://saintsherald.com/2014/03/30/30-years-of-lessons-women-and-gays-in-the-community-of-christ/

It says that the C of C "is extending the sacraments of ordination to gays and lesbians in the United States." Beginning March 31 for a two year interim and then will be considered for permanent status.

Date: June 28, 2014 02:49PM

I would believe the blog would be trumped by the official stance stated on the official CoC site:

The sacrament of marriage is for one man and one woman who become husband and wife.

Community of Christ priesthood members are not authorized by the church to perform same-sex/gender marriages even if they are legal in the civil jurisdiction where the marriage will be performed.

People of same-sex/gender orientation can be considered for priesthood calls, according to established standards and procedures, if they abstain from homosexual activity.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: June 28, 2014 02:55PM

And CoC considers the Word of Wisdom to be what the revelation said (D&C 89): "NOT by way of commandment..."

So, members can drink coffee and tea if they like.

The staff at the CoC visitor center in Nauvoo has a coffee maker in the break room, and the guides can start the day with a cup.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: June 28, 2014 03:27PM

awesome.

what are their views on "medical" marijuana?

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: June 28, 2014 03:46PM

That's reallllly bright move....

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 28, 2014 05:05PM

Community of Christ is like Mormon-light.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.