Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Matthew ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 05:59PM

So I was a long time lurker for years, very rarely posted but did post an exit story. So convert, 3 years in the church, lived in Orem for a year, went on mission, left mission after a month or so, left church, did official resignation.

So I've been living in Denver for 11 years and recently been itching to move, so looked within my company for a job elsewhere. Things were kind of frozen but then the opportunity for Utah popped up. Career wise it's a good choice, great money, etc.

I'm not overly terrified to go back, I plan on living in the SLC area but was wondering if people had any advice for areas less mormony than others? I was thinking downtownish as I like the lifestyle but the burbs do somewhat scare me. From google I can tell there appear to be more bars downtown which I would think means less Mormons living? I know they visit Temple Square and all that but I want to be living around nons. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dressclothes ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 06:08PM

That's kind of like asking how to avoid Catholics in Rome... they're everywhere, no matter where you go. I don't think it will be any better if you go downtown, either. They seem to leave me alone, but that's probably because I don't answer my door when they make their monthly "outreach" attempt.

You can't escape it. Sorry, but it's true...

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 06:24PM

I'd only go to either SLC or St. George.

St. George for different reasons, but SLC because the influence is drastically different then outside of SLC.

Of course, it will never be non-existent, but there are quite a few posters here who live there and enjoy it.

Good luck with your decision.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 06:50PM

SLC isn't bad, except for the lake-effect snow, air pollution in winter, and the potential earthquake danger. I would still take SLC over Denver any day (used to live in Boulder).

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 07:01PM

with varying price ranges.

The Avenues is the neighborhood northeal east of downtown. Mixed rentals and single family homes, but spendy.

The Marmalade district is just west of that, in the Capitol Hill neighborhood.

Central City, south of downtown, is an up and coming neighborhood. Some areas are really nice, so not so much, but convenient to downtown.

I am in Sugar House, which is south and a bit further east. If I have Mormon neighbors, I really don't know who they are. SH is maybe ten minutes from downtown.

Some 'burbs are more LDS than others. I wouldn't move to Sandy, South Jordan, West Jordan or Draper. But I wouldn't have a problem living in Murray, Midvale, Holliday, Taylorsville or Rose Park (also close to downtown, lies to the west).

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 07:23PM

Don't move to Herriman either, which is 95% LDS. How my nonmember sibling lives there with their family is amazing.

Posted by: anonforthis ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 09:25PM

I'm in the Midvale, Murray, Cottonwood Heights area. About 1/3 to 1/2 Mormon, but many of those seem like they are not real TBM. Mormon men with facial hair. Mormon single females in their 20s wearing short dresses that are definitely not Morg standards when they go out on Friday and Saturday nights. Also their boy friends stay over and leave in the mornings. Not that I'm spying, but when your blinds are open eating breakfast in the morning, you can't help but see people get in their cars.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: June 29, 2011 12:53AM

and it was very Mormony. But that was 10 years ago and I was a real TBM at the time so I may have just ran with a bad crowd. Nevertheless, I wouldn't live there again.

My sister lived in Sugar House for a while and really liked it. But she also lived in Bountiful for about a year and would never live in Davis County again. She said it was too hard-core Mormon for her liking. Again though, this was about 10 years ago because she lived there while she was going to the U about the same time I lived in Taylorsville.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2011 12:54AM by CA girl.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 07:03PM

You're better off living in Salt Lake City itself - the city has one of the lowest Mormon populations in the state. Downtown is nice, and you'd probably love the Sugar House area or the Avenues. Park City would be a great place to live, but it's a fairly expensive area. There tend to be more Mormons in the suburbs. Typically if an area attracts a lot of young families there are going to be a lot of Mormons.

That being said, I don't think living in the suburbs would be a horrible thing. I'm gay, and my boyfriend and I own a home in South Ogden. We've never had a problem with neighbors, Mormon or otherwise. I love living in Utah. The politics are wacky, but the outdoors can't be beat!

If you feel like you need to make a statement to the neighborhood when you move in, go out and mow the lawn on Sunday with a beer in your hand and your shirt off.

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 07:06PM

what about Provo?? Is Mormonism as prominant as in SLC? Got to go there in August.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 07:24PM

I went to YBU for my last two years of college. Provo is the ultimate in conservatism and more croweded since I lived at the Y.

Posted by: Socrates2 ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 11:13PM

this past Sunday and it was packed. Had a great time. Lot's to do and see. Lot's of diversity. And I have a non-mo friend who lives in SL and loves it.

Posted by: Rose Park Ranger ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 11:16PM

Lots of Catholics in Rose Park and West Valley City.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: June 28, 2011 11:24PM

I'm in Taylorsville and there are lot of inactives and non Mos in the neighborhood.There are a number of other churches in the neighborhood-Lutheran, Catholic, Methodist and Episcopal for starts.Also a couple of non denominational. We even have a Sikh temple

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 29, 2011 12:17AM

Posted by: chic in the heart of Moville ( )
Date: June 29, 2011 12:29AM

Ogden valley is amazing, not as populated as Park City with quite a few no mo's and best of all 3 ski resorts. Also has a small town in the mountain feel.

Posted by: Matthew ( )
Date: June 29, 2011 06:28PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.