Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 03:27PM

I'm enjoying a nice cup of coffee and plate of food during fellowship this morning when a life-long, locally born member of WELS Lutheran says, "Is there a Mormon church here locally?"

Me: There is.

Him: Where is it located?

Me: It is across the street, right up the road, and around the bend. :-)

Him: Really? I didn't know there was one here.

Me: There is.

Him: They run ads on the television, also. But I don't pay attention to them either.

LOL! Mormonism . . . the faith that was supposed to roll like a stone and cover the earth. ROFL!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 04:12PM

I know it is different in areas with high concentrations of LDS, but it helps when you realize that sometimes they are so prominent because we rent them space in our heads. It was a good moment for me when I realized that I had pretty much stopped relating feelings and events in some way to Mormonism. It *wants* to be the center of our universe and it's so nice when it's not. Again, I recognize that for people with Mormon families or who live in Mormon areas that isn't easy; still, a nice little reorientation you got there! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2011 06:18PM by robertb.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 06:15PM

--> "sometimes they are so prominent because we rent them space in our heads."

May I suggest a better class of tenant? :)

Date: July 17, 2011 09:32PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 07:21PM

I've lived in my current town for two years now, and I have yet to see a Mormon meetinghouse. I have no idea where Mormon relatives would attend church if they ever visited. There's a big nondenominational Christian church within walking distance though, and they serve very good coffee after their meetings.

Date: July 17, 2011 09:35PM

within walking distance of their apartment. I may suggest that they go there for some free food as the ones I have seen at the store are getting pretty skinny.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 09:37PM

After reading some of the earlier threads, they are probably getting skinny not because they have no food but because they have stress related anxiety disorder and IBS.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 10:10PM

If it is insignificant, why are we posting about it?

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 10:22PM

that it is nice to be reminded that even tho THEY think and say they are so big and important, that most of the world doesn't care about them.

Kind of puts TSCC into perspective.

Thanks, Sandie.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 10:34PM

Well, if it looms in our minds and is a significant part of our pasts, why would we consider it insignificant?

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: July 17, 2011 11:43PM

In my town, they've started having missionaries and have rented space in a Morton building. I've seen the boys out on the street, not so much lately, but I know they've been around as they tried to convert my neighbors. They were not successful. The neighbor knew the Bible, they didn't.

What I find ironic, is this Morton building also houses a bar. I've never been in either the "branch" or the bar. I just can't think it could be very roomy in the branch. It's on the side of the building and looks like it should be referred to as a twig.

Susan

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.