Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cwm31s ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 12:51PM

Yes.. Being in a YSA ward we always have different bishops that lead us, but this semester I have a bishop who is so soft spoken and yet glares at the congregation during the Sacrament meetings all to often. Yesterday I was told to give the opening prayer by our sacrament meeting coordinator and lo and behold, I saw the said coordinator relate the fact that I would give it only to see the bishop shake his head at the guy and presumably choose someone else for the opening prayer.

So during the introductory remarks I could barely hear the man say who was going to give the prayer, so I gave it assuming that the bishop had decided to let me do it, only to find out as I was sitting down that someone else was supposed to give it. I essentially goofed, or it could have been the bishop suspects my apostate ways and didn't want me to say anything against the church in prayer.

I can't stand bishops sometimes, they are so demanding and crude. I'm only playing like I am a good person for now just because I like the atmosphere here, then again none of the other ward members really notice me much. I am resigning when I graduate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 12:58PM

If the coordinator didn't let you know you weren't giving the prayer then it's his error.

It's kind of a funny story.

I hate going to church and usually only go to Sacrament when my husband is performing, otherwise bleah.

I'm pretty sure they'd never let me say a prayer though.

Posted by: cwm31s ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 01:05PM

It very well might have been his error, but I strongly suspect the Bishop had something to do with it.

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 01:21PM

Undoubtedly, the Bishop did have something to do with the change. But really that's their problem, you did what any normal person who's been asked to give the prayer would do.

The weird thing was for the Bish to change it and not have the coordinator let you know ahead of time.

Don't worry about it though. If the Bishop is glaring at you it's because he has his own insecurities. That's his issue.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 01:11PM

getting someone else to pray without telling you sounds like typical mormon passive aggressive behaviour.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 07, 2014 01:20PM

Thanks for the story. Watching them from the audience, you can often witness this interplay. It is sick and most certainly not of God. Saints?! It is a football team. Mormon? There was only one and he is long since dead. Glad you did what you did. I would have done the exact same thing. They goof, I don't. Sick men many of them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.