Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 01:38PM

What say ye? And it came to pass that the Mormon "faith promotion" machinery did cover their eyes with a blindness...

I'd say well under 50% of active, temple attending Mormons know enough to truly evaluate their own level of comfort in regards to the dark "less-useful" truths out there in the one hundred and something years since Joseph Smith until the darkness descended upon what is really going on behind the highest leader's magic curtain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2014 01:39PM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonnyperdition ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 01:59PM

The only way that TBMs would get the any of the nasty bits from Church history and canon is by intentionally looking for them. In the main the GAs warning regarding "doubt" has stuck--so maybe 15%? Of those the majority will leave the Church or become NOMs. All guesswork, but the TBM side of my family provides an interesting microcosm of TSCC.

Date: July 08, 2014 02:47PM

That is a good estimate.

In my microcosm I my wife and kids and neighbors know some and a couple of siblings so 15% sounds about right.

Makes me wonder if 50% knew if the "flecks" would be talked about more? No one talks about them but with me.

Date: July 08, 2014 03:43PM

I would think that the "flecks" would become a main topic at church functions--and might even be discussed in EQ and RS. The trick is how to get a TBM to even summon the courage to ask the hard questions. As my late, sainted, TBM, veterenarian uncle would say, "You can lead a horse to water..."

Date: July 08, 2014 06:14PM

sonnyperdition Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As my late, sainted, TBM, veterenarian
> uncle would say, "You can lead a horse to
> water..."

And beat it to death like all the boring crap LDS Inc. has people drone on and on about instead of letting their Nephite horse have a drink and bat some "flecks" with its tail before beating the faith into it.

Date: July 08, 2014 10:05PM

Yes, there is something coerced about faith in TSCC. Beaten in, reinforced every moment of every meeting. Leaving the morg, especially for those who are 40 and above has to be scary as hell. You literally have to be ready to throw it all away, friends, family, "support," belief system, "eternity." I'm glad I exited at the age of 19!

Date: July 09, 2014 12:22PM

sonnyperdition Wrote:
> Leaving the morg, especially for those
> who are 40 and above has to be scary as hell. You
> literally have to be ready to throw it all away,
> friends, family, "support," belief system,
> "eternity." I'm glad I exited at the age of 19!

I was 30 and I risked throwing it all away. My wife almost divorced me. I had to cut off my family because a) they are just toxic and b) nothing they talk about is not influence by their religion. It is the only tie that binds my family - the only one.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 06:13PM

History can not fully be history if individuals only know or experience the flecks - and what an odd statement by another of HF's chosen profits, the long gone... what's his name? I'd say that less than 1% know much about the actual history, about 10% know something [and still tolerate or do little about it] and nearly 100% are delusional, thinking there is something there worth investigating or investing in. The truth is that about 90% of the congregations would leave overnight if they knew what the spirit was, how it works and how little about nothing they have been taught and taught others is actually true, especially once their families learned more and left with them and accepted others as actual brothers and sisters. The other 10% would stay as a matter of statistical principle and hopeful rewards.

Date: July 08, 2014 06:16PM

mormonomore Wrote:
> The other 10% would stay as
> a matter of statistical principle and hopeful
> rewards.

These must be the really delusional. I think a lot stay because LDS Inc. defines family, comfort, and stability for them more than faith, hope, and charity.

And they get to allow themselves to think of themselves as special people even if it is just in their peculiar LDS ways.

Posted by: cynthia ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 10:26PM

My sister began reading History of The Church and stopped because she decided she didn't need to know those flecks of history she was reading about. It was obviously becoming a problem for her so she quit learning about those uncomfortable little tidbits and lives in her preferable TBM world of fantasy.

Date: July 09, 2014 12:23PM

The Glory of God is intelligence but per Packer - "useful" intelligence only.

Posted by: Ex-cultmember ( )
Date: July 08, 2014 11:00PM

Know ALL the flecks of Mormon history? I'd say maybe about 1%. On my journey out of the church in my 25 years in it, I had yet to know of ONE member who knew even a FRACTION of the stuff I knew, and that included two mission presidents and several bishops. The fact is I didn't know anyone who had actually read a book by the Tanners or had done any comprehensive study of the problems. The most anyone had were superficial understanding provided by apologists I SOME of the problems. I knew many members who were well versed in the faith promoting history but not the censored stuff.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.