Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 11:10AM

Not sure why I'm on Moroni Books mailing list, but the catalog provided DH and I some entertainment last night as we read some of the book descriptions. Here's one of my personal faves:

THE GIFT AND POWER:TRANSLATING THE BOOK OF MORMON by Brant A. Gardner, "As reported by the LDS Church News, Gardner explores the various issues and processes surrounding the translation of the Book of Mormon, asking questions such as: Did Joseph Smith or the marvelous instruments do the actual work of translation? Why are there lengthy passages of King James English? Why didn't Joseph retranslate the book of Lehi? And why couldn't Oliver Cowdery translate? By exploring the history, culture, and science surrounding the translation, Gardner offers answers to these and many other questions and gives a faithful description of how God used a hum,an prophet to translate these important scriptures." Uh...I could answer those questions for you: Neither, because he's a plagiarist, because he didn't want to be caught in a lie, and because he was to busy writing stuff down while helping Joe cook up the story. And I don't think there's any "science" to it.

Another fave:
MESOAMERICA AND THE BOOK OF MORMON, IS THIS THE PLACE? by Dr. John L. Lund, "'Don't lose faith in what you know because of what you don't know!' In this book are answers to many questions about the historicity of the Book of Mormon. Did you know: A DNA study by Emory University, accepted by the Smithsonian, acknowledges that some Native Americans have ancestry in common with peoples in modern Israel and the Mediterranean area. Joseph Smith declared that the city of Zarahemla stood upon the land of Guatamala, which was part of southern Mexico in his day. There are two hills named Cumorah. Find out why!"

Back in the day, I would have been drawn to any book that claimed evidence proving the authenticity of the BoM. Now I just thinks it's sad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nowI'mfound ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 11:18AM

WAITING IN THE WINGS: HEAVEN IS OUR REAL HOME by Sarah Hinze, Pioneer Researcher of the Prebirth Experience, "This book is a collection of true accounts that testify that we are eternal spirits who lived in a heavenly realm before we were born ('Based upon hundreds of documented spiritual experiences, WAITING IN THE WINGS radiates a wonderful flood of light upon our divine origins upon the sacredness of life.'--Paul Thomas Smith, Scholar/Author of THIS IS THE CHRIST)"

Near-death experiences I'll buy into. But pre-birth? Not feeling it.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 02:05PM

I'm not surprised about all those BOM-related books coming out right now since it'll be studied in SS next year. I'll be sure to skip that as much as I can.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 02:11PM

John lund is a motivational speaker/counselor/mediator.

His specialty is little couplets to help you remember the propaganda.

I've heard him speak several times. My impression is that he is quite adept when it comes to persuading people to believe something. Irregardless of the truth. It appears(from reviews) this book is an attempt to use his skills to mediate the cog dis so many members have when it comes to BOM historicity.

Posted by: Tedious ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 02:14PM

I shudder at the thought of all the countless wasted lives devoted to trying to find evidence for Joseph Smith's obvious hoax.

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 04:45PM

The eternal rewards awaits...

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 08:54PM

What about:

NEW EVIDENCES FOR THE EARTH'S FLATNESS by Wilber G. Voliva. Brother Voliva presents new evidence that shows the that the earth really is flat. Don't dismiss what you know for what you don't know. Did you know that the latest research, accepted by Tulaine University scientists, shows that the earth resembles a pancake more than a meatball? This book is sure to strengthen anyone's testimony.

Posted by: NoToJoe ( unregistered) ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 11:05AM

>>THE GIFT AND POWER:TRANSLATING THE BOOK OF MORMON by Brant A. Gardner, "As reported by the LDS Church News, Gardner explores the various issues and processes surrounding the translation of the Book of Mormon, asking questions such as:<<

1-Did JS have to rub the peep stone before he put it in the hat?
2-Why don't we know more about the hat? Was it sacred, secret or just second hand head gear?
3-Why did JS translate the 'reformed' Egyptian characters into 17th century English (similar to KJ Bible) when 19th English would be what he spoke day to day?
4-Why didn't JS need the peep stone / hat ensemble to translate the BoA?
5-Why don't JS's BoA translations of the Egyptian mummy's papyri jive with what Egyptians say they mean?

and last but not least:

6-Where the F**K are the golden plates?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.