Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: I'm a Dinosuar ( )
Date: July 12, 2014 10:22PM

Greetings,

I don't know about the rest of you, but definitely could not do this only day's after what happened. Then again, who knows.

R,
I'm a Dinosaur

http://news.yahoo.com/teen-survivor-texas-shootings-says-slain-family-members-012500643.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: July 12, 2014 10:36PM

I love that she quotes Harry Potter as her source of hope.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: July 12, 2014 10:42PM

It's encouraging that she quoted Harry Potter as her source of comfort and strength. It would have been very empty had she quoted some mormon translated (or not) scripture as a source of optimism, strength, or comfort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2014 01:51PM by templeendumbed.

Posted by: Jilly ( )
Date: July 12, 2014 10:46PM

I think she's going to need a TON of counseling. It breaks my heart.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: July 12, 2014 11:04PM

not my comments some got access to my computer

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2014 11:53PM by Demon of Kolob.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: July 12, 2014 11:11PM

That was low.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: July 12, 2014 11:40PM

Totally uncalled for.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 12:40AM

She is an amazing, wise young woman -- well trained in how to handle difficult situations, thanks to her parents, family, grandparents. They taught her well and she was a good student.
I don't know why people think everyone needs counseling. They don't. They are able to handle their lives quite well with their support system. She has a belief system that gives her hope.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 01:17PM

you really don't think she may need help or to talk to someone after watching her entire family be blown away? I have strong beliefs too, but counseling certainly didn't hurt after my mom died.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 01:07AM

I hope that Cassidy gets a lot of love. She will need it.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 01:02PM

SusieQ, I don't know of many Americans that are "trained" by their parents and grandparents to deal with being inches away as their family is slaughtered execution style and knowing she is next.

Counseling can come in many different forms. Yes, family support is imperative. She will obviously have that, her faith, but there will most likely be some effects of PTSD that my not rear their ugly head till later in life. Right now she is a hero, she is alive, and that is enough for her.

But I think that most Americans will need some form of counseling to deal with this. Talking about what happened will be so important in the coming months and years.

I wish her well, and have found myself thinking about what happened and how that family must have felt.

Date: July 13, 2014 01:10PM

My father died when I was about Cassidy's age, and I just went numb. Outwardly I was functioning quite well, but inwardly...nothing. I think I bit off the 5% of the pain that I could deal with and walled off the other 95%. Of course that other 95% comes back to haunt you later on.

I don't know why counseling has such a stigma. An empathetic, trained counselor can speed up the healing process. I don't see how you can lose your entire family and *not* need counseling. At a minimum, she has school counselors who will be more than willing to help her. I am sure that her teachers will work to get her in the pipeline if her family doesn't want to make other arrangements. I know that I would.

When I lost my father I had faith that I would see him again in the afterlife -- I still do. But even a strong faith only takes you so far. There are so many milestones that her parents and siblings will never see on this Earth -- prom, graduations, her first job, a wedding, her first child. In a way the loss gets harder as you get older. It hits you harder what was taken from you.

It wasn't the same with my mom, who lived a full life. I got a chance to fully know her as an adult, and we had a good relationship. I miss her, but I did have my time with her. But the loss of my dad has been for almost the entirety of my life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2014 01:15PM by summer.

Date: July 13, 2014 01:24PM

I'm quite confident, from what I have observed and read, that this young woman's extended family will be able to help and support her in processing what happened, just as they do, and direct her to any help she needs, if and when she needs it. Her core belief system will also sustain her. She has an incredible outlook that will help her also.

What her needs and choices are will be up to her and her support system. She is showing she is a survivor and will, in my view, continue to do so.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2014 01:25PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: July 13, 2014 01:25PM

She is doing quite well under the circumstances. Many would not be doing as well as she is.

Date: July 13, 2014 02:33PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She is doing quite well under the circumstances.
> Many would not be doing as well as she is.

That's my observation. Some people are inherently, strong survivors and do very well.
We have no idea what she will need in the future and I for one wouldn't begin to suggest what she needs. It's her life, her family, her support system.
Children can be amazingly resilient.

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 02:27PM

I suspect she is numb.

Of course, her supportive family will be immeasurably helpful.

She is NOT doing as well as she appears to be doing.

She is going to need a lot of counseling. There is no way she can have had the experience she has had and not have been deeply traumatized, the results of which can take years to manifest fully.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 02:36PM

There is no way she has dealt with the loss YET. When my parents died, I didn't deal with it for a long time and they died of old age and I had the rest of my family with me. They told me the second year would be worse than the first and it was, because then you realize they really aren't coming back.

It doesn't matter what faith I had, the reality that they AREN'T COMING BACK TO THIS LIFE is pretty difficult.

She has a long road ahead of her. She has only just begun that road.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 05:05PM

To OP: your subject line is confusing - I thought it was about a girl who survived after she had shot a trooper...

Date: July 13, 2014 05:23PM

RPackham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To OP: your subject line is confusing - I thought
> it was about a girl who survived after she had
> shot a trooper...

Yes, I noticed that also. I figured it was an error and read it like it was supposed to read. :-) Like putting in the verb!
It's a kind of super editing! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2014 05:23PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: I'm a Dinosaur ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 06:15PM

Haha. It always better in my head sometimes.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 06:10PM

what a strong girl!!! Amazing she looks like nothing ever happened to her.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 06:12PM

I think that the community support displayed for her will be an important part of her mental recovery. I can't begin to imagine the pain and emotional burden of losing one's entire family. People are different in their abilities to handle catastrophes like this. It appears that she's one of the strong ones. I just hope there are resources for her to make the long haul. Her extended family will hopefully support her.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.