Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 02:23PM

A while ago I posted that our stake had a great idea to hold a priesthood meeting at 7.15am on a Sunday, meaning that many would have to leave their homes by 6.15am to get there on time.

Well, I chose to sleep so I can't personally 'return & report', but talking to a TBM that did attend, it was clear that my expectations were predictably completely correct:

1) Despite the ridiculous start time, there would be a lot of sheeple that would blindly obey and turn up out of duty - Car park was full and no doubt people were looking around feeling smug with their overt badge of righteousness.
2) There would be no new revelations or anything that could really be considered important - there wasn't, despite repeated announcements in advance that this would be a really important meeting and that ALL should attend.
3) Dull topics and boring talks - TBM I asked struggled to even recall what was said but moaned that two of the speakers really droned on and on. When he did finally remember, he said they basically just picked a couple of the most recent general conference talks and repeated them almost word for word.

So, looks like I didn't miss anything. Church is soooooo boring these days. Just look around the congregation on a Sunday and it's clear that at least 80% of the TBMs are not being inspired and are just there out of habit and duty without ever thinking or questioning what return they get for their investment of time and money.

While I work my way out, slowly negotiating a difficult family situation, the only fun I now have is picking up on all the crazy oddball comments that are made in talks and lessons... more on this later perhaps

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 02:44PM

Gees that is so ridiculous to have the men meet at 7:15 in the morning!!!!!! I'm out in the mission field and that wouldn't be a possible feat to be done. LOL

Posted by: Regulargal ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 02:48PM

In the Mission field? You're not on a mission are you?

Date: November 15, 2011 02:53PM

No that means I live outside the MorCor. :-D

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 09:49AM

I know, isn't that the weirdest Mormon phrase? And the funniest part is that it's usually only Mormons who are originally from Utah who talk about "the mission field".

Date: November 16, 2011 09:54AM

I'm actually from the East coast area and only encountered the mission field phrase when I attended YBU for my last two years of college.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 12:24PM

Hey me too, born on the East Coast and never heard the "mission field" thing until I went to BYU. It's one of those quirky things that bugged me every time I heard it. Just like hearing people talk about "the Church" as if there weren't any other churches in existence always bugged me, even as a TBM.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 02:51PM

At least if they served coffee and doughnuts it would be worth it.

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 07:02AM

The few times I've tAlked with TBM mom about the boring, recycled talks, her response was, "well, we must still need to hear and work on those things." Blah...

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 08:24AM

Oooo, if we call a SPECIAL meeting, they'll think we have something SPECIAL to say. Yeah, THAT'S the ticket!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 09:27AM

It was supposed to "unite" us brethren, make us all closer. I was the high priests' group leader at the time, and I went to 7-11 afterward and got a big coffee and then drove the interstate to work. I must have been on my way out.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 01:01PM

That was not a typo???

Egads.

Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 09:35AM

I do not know (being female) about "special" PriestHood Meetings, but I remember when a meeting was called for all the unmarried women of The Church (teenage and up). We were told that the Prophet had a special message for us. So here I am a divorced with children mother going to hear this special message for me from the Prophet telecast from Salt Lake City. This is a big deal for a Mormon woman in the Booneville, Mississippi ward!

What was his message? That if I were not actively looking for a mate in The Church then I was not living right! That the women in The Church were doing wrong if they were holding out for romantic love, or for a man who was rich, etc.

In other words, just grab any old PriestHood holder and get married. How special is that?

At that point, every word out of his mouth became "blah, blah, blah" to me.

I picked up my purse and walked out of the door of the church building never to return.

While that was not the only problem that I had with Mormonism, it was the last and final straw!

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 11:16AM

Wow. That is a dangerous message. Aren't you glad you left the kids alone at home home for that!

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 09:32PM

Booneville? I was a missionary stationed in Corinth in '84 (for two months). We were in that ward :-). Great folks.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 11:30AM

The morg takes away members' Saturdays, occupies all of their Sundays, and most people have to be at work again Monday mornings.

When are members supposed to take care of their own needs?

Oh wait, I forgot, personal wants and needs do not matter in a cult.

Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 11:35AM

At least it was over before the NFL started playing on Sunday ... I would rather go early than late.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: November 16, 2011 11:38AM

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: November 17, 2011 01:01PM

Posted by: NakedMormon ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 05:20PM

7:15 is nothing. our stake president makes the high council meet as a standard every week at 6am. Additionally when I was on the bishopric in my ward we met each sunday from 6am onwards.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 19, 2011 06:22PM

In many wards in Australia early morning seminary starts at 6.00am. This is to allow kids time to catch trains or buses to school in time for 8.30 starts. It was not uncommon for kids to travel half an hour to get to seminary meaning that they had to wake up at about 5.00am 5 days a week for most of the school term.

This frequently caused considerable anger and frustration with parents concerned about their children not getting enough sleep during the critical years of their high school education. The arrogant CES brown shirts dismissed these concerns because they knew what was best for other people's children.

Posted by: the god of thunder ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 12:53AM

Yeah I had that but for some reason it was hard to be me pick up (to far away I was told) so i used to ride my bike. In winter it used to be a lot of fun.

Posted by: NEJulie ( )
Date: November 20, 2011 08:52AM

Yep - I did the 5am wake up for seminary all through high school Torture. I'd be up studying etc until 11 or 12 and then up at 5 for indoctrination.

I wish I could sue to get my sleep back.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.