Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 08:52PM

BOM Musical

My daughter and I went to it in Portland over the weekend.
It was fabulous! The cast never missed a beat, were high energy and very talented. Their comic timing was excellent, as soon as the audience got the joke they were moving right along to the next scene.

It was funny to see the x-ray on the wall that shows where an Elder misplaced a Book of Mormon. The crowd crowed and clapped with glee when they got it.

I didn’t warn my daughter about the ribald lyrics and enjoyed watching her jaw drop in delighted astonishment.

It was rowdy and funny. My daughter explained it was okay for me to enjoy the sexual humor because it was funny. I didn’t have to justify it to her she told me. I’d been starting to analyze why the play was funny even if a bit off color and she corrected me. If it is funny it is funny and you can give yourself permission to enjoy it and laugh.

So many years of “proper” rearing made my default mode kick in and try to be offended.
There is a time and place for raunchy humor and this play was it!

The BOM Musical takes all the ridiculous things about the TSCC religion and shakes it like a dog rips a pillow; it all goes to shreds and the feathers land where they may.

The play is worth seeing for it is very healing for a recovering Mormon. It is sure to offend if you want to be offended.

Boy could those people sing!
It was hysterical to see the dancing and body language that would put any homophobe over the roof!

The costumes of the devils with their funny shoes in “Spooky Mormon Hell Dream” added a lot of comedy.

There were a lot of take offs from other movies and pop culture; The Sound of Music, Star Wars, Star Trek, Oklahoma, Heart of Uganda, and even a reference to Mothra, Godzilla’s enemy/pal!

I’d love to see it again!

The TSCC took out three full page full color adds in the program to invite people to get a real BOM, but who would want to after seeing all the kooky Mormon doctrines displayed for all the silliness they are? Didn’t the TSCC watch the whole show????

There were Mormon Missionaries handing out BOMs outside on the street as we were coming out of the theater.
My daughter and I rushed forward for them to sign our programs when we realized they were the real deal and not the actors.

I was about to get rude and say something about been there, done that, and with a BIC Mormon, but my daughter wisely dragged me away. She told them we were ex Mormons and not interested…….ugh they were NOT what I wanted to see after coming out of a theater all happy and euphoric over a wonderful play that pins back the Mormon Doctrines only to be met with Ugh, the Missionaries from the church! They just can’t leave us alone can they????

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 08:57PM

And really, I think that and the add just reeks of desperation.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 09:07PM

No, we saw it Saturday night, last night.

and I'm remembering other things from the show: Jesus's lit up robe and the Elder saying "I can't believe Jesus called me a dick!"

LOL!

Just because Jesus could call it like ya see it! The Elder was a doc*** bag!

Posted by: Pyewacket ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 08:59PM

I've been worried about anxiety (PTSD-type) attacks during the show. Sounds like that shouldn't be a concern?

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 09:12PM

I had some PTSD moments. I cried, I was a little stressed at times, it hit too close to home but I'd see it again in a heartbeat. Just know for those of us who've been there done that it is somewhat realistic.

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 09:06PM

I'm so glad they're finally coming to AZ. Seems like they've saved many of the Mo strongholds for last.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.