Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: July 13, 2014 10:34PM

Hey ya'll!

Just checkin' in with my fellow southerners. How's everybody doing tonight?

We caught the BOM musical a few weeks ago with Normarae. It was very good. "Did Jesus just call me a dick?" -best line ever

DH just uninvited a former bishop from visiting us anytime soon. So things are good here!

Oh yeah, we got a cat.

Any good news, bad news, other?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BoMSkeptic ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 12:19AM

Doing great :-)

Isn't it great to be free?

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 12:23AM

Does anyone know about this place? It is on our retirement short list.

http://www.guntersvilleal.org/home/index.php

Posted by: Elder Strangelove ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 12:40AM

I've heard of it. It is in my old stake boundaries. Going by the link it looks beautiful!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2014 12:41AM by Elder Strangelove.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 10:48AM

we go down there all the time for high school sporting events. One of these days I'll learn to bass fish -- it's a shame I don't. Guntersville, I'm told is the Bass fishing capital of the world.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 11:25AM

.....outside of working for my father, my older brother and I worked the summer of 1971 for the newly-formed Bass Anglers Sportsman Society in Montgomery. That was when Ray Scott was just starting the business. We spent that summer stuffing tens of thousands of envelopes with brochures inviting people to join up. We took the bags full of mail to the post office in a VW bus.

When I worked there, BASS was in an old, small office building. The "warehouse" was a storeroom maybe 20 X 30 feet, full of fishing lures etc. The Scott family owned a dry cleaners down the street from our house. Ray started BASS with the idea of making bass fishing nationally popular like hunting and NASCAR had become. He succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.

Posted by: Benvolio ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 11:19AM

Our next door neighbor retired there.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 12:48AM

I am a yankee, and I would even go so far as to be called a damn yankee. I was born in Oregon, and I'm Californian by choice. But my paternal grandmother, Vivian Smith, was from western Tennessee.
She was a barefoot hillbilly girl of sixteen years who fell for a Mormon missionary, 26-year-old John Henry Bagley.

So I've got some hillbilly blood in me. I love bluegrass music, moonshine and mountain cabins. My feet get to tapping every time I hear Rocky Top Tennessee, and I learned how to play Swanee River on the harmonica. There is beauty in the southland.

Date: July 14, 2014 02:31AM

Ben Folds says there are a hundred ways to cover your redneck past. Glad to see you embrace it a bit!

My high school art teacher once told us how lucky we were to grow up in Tennessee, with the changing palette through the seasons. She said we were in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Of course as a teen, I thought, whatever. When I got my mission call, everything I read about my destination praised the land for its natural beauty. After my two year tour of the country, it didn't seem to compare to good ol Tennessee. There is some beauty here.

Posted by: gulfcoastguy ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 01:12AM

All good down here on the Gulf. Aside from the tantrum spectacle put on by our five year old, today was rather enjoyable without the obligation of TSCC. Slept in, got some child distractions for an upcoming drive, grilled out with some brewskis, and finished at the park with a beautiful sunset over the water. And I don't miss it one bit...strange how without man's search for happiness going on, you can simply be happy most of the time.

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 02:07AM

Amen!

Posted by: I'm a Dinodsaur ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 02:12AM

One of my best friends says, "Northern by birth, Southern by the grace of god." lol

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 04:34AM

Miska was telling someone last night that she went to see The BOM Musical with someone who had ACTUALLY done a Mormon mission. Thanks for coming over and being our celebrities. It was a great time. Good to hear from you. I'm preparing to spend a few months vigorously working with a community action team to defeat TN Amendment One in November. I will re-surface on November 5th.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 05:02AM

South east TN here. I was trout fishing in the Smokies only 45 min from my home on Saturday. Good weather. Lots of Yankee transplants here, like me, and many half backs - people who moved to Florida and decided to move half-way back and settle in TN or NC.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 05:11AM

Wouldn't you like to be fishing off your own dock ;)

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 10:46AM

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Peach-Orchard-Rd-2_Andersonville_TN_37705_M79830-12836?row=14

That's just an example. I'm showing you that because the photo looks inviting. If you want water, you should check out the listings in Loudon County:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-search/Loudon_TN

Tons of lake, river, and creekfront properties there. In fact, there are about a dozen rivers and lakes within 100 miles of Knoxville, with thousands of nice, affordable places for sale.

Speaking as someone who has lived 29 years in Alabama and 30 years in Tennessee, trust me---you'll be much better off in Tennessee. The climate is better, and there are better amenities and recreation opportunities up here. Not that Guntersville is horrible; there are worse places you could live. But if I had a choice, I'd choose Tennessee or western NC. Every one of our Alabama relatives who has ever visited us has told us they wish they could live here instead of there.

Date: July 14, 2014 11:12AM

Thanks again for a great evening, Normarae. Dinner was great, and I laughed so much, I pretty much lost my voice on the way home. Slumbering M and I took a quick jaunt down Beale St. and picked up a little souvenir. Take care!

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 08:35AM

Born in Arkansas, Dad's family settled part of East Tenn, Mom from Memphis. And I grew up in Utah because some member invited my parents to church. BLAH

I LOVE the south! All my relatives live in Tennessee or Alabama! And I now live in Va! (Its Norther Va....but some things remind me of the south!)

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 10:56AM

All quiet on the Huntsville, AL front. A BYU family transplant just quit the church for good and a local teen has told his parents he won't serve a mission (much to their TBM chagrin) -- but for the most part, Alabama saints are holding to rod (UNLESS THERE ARE SOME HUNTSVILLE AL LURKERS HERE; come on out and play!).

On my side, one of my kids is an atheist and my other kid skipped youth conference because "it's boring, fur realz"; oh yeah, TBM DW likes to show off her shoulders on occassion and has skipped church for three weeks (note: thank you mormon church for excommunicating Kate Kelly; my wife finally aggreed with me that the Church was wrong).....

So all going according to plan.

Date: July 14, 2014 11:05AM

Hey Major,

Good to see you here. I remember reading your posts from my lukier days. It sounds like some slow, steady progress with DH. Hope things continue to go well fer you and yours!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.