Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anais Nin ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 12:45AM

Why do people get so emotionally attached to cult leaders, whether they be church or political or other?

Take Hinckley for example. Members were so in love with that guy. But why? None of us knew him. He was a stranger to us. It's not like we could have called him up and said 'let's do lunch' Still, we get so attached that it is irrelevant that we don't know the leader. We come to see him as a good friend.

Is there a proper psychological term for this phenomenon of getting attached to cult figures? It is irrational, really.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 12:59AM

I've never understood it. I don't understand people going all gaga over movie stars either. I saw Tony Danza at Kids R Us the other day. I've never met him. I felt it would be rude to approach him or stare at him. I went about my business like he was anyone else in the room. In reality, that's who he is. Just another person. He happens to have a job that makes him recognizable. He's NOT the characters he plays. Neither are the cult leaders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2014 01:00AM by madalice.

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 02:31AM

I think the blind devotion to leaders is what makes a cult a cult. So, a psychological term for the phenomenon might be "cult."

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 02:36AM

Devotion/Adoration/Veneration of Leaders

Droning sermons ('talks') with mandatory, monitored attendance.

Micro-Management (garments, word of wisdom, etc) and the dependence it spawns...

those are the Corps Main Events, IMHO

Posted by: ragingphoenix ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 02:45AM

This is along similar lines.

When I was younger, the Smashing Pumpkins was my favorite band. The music moved me deeply and I could relate to it. I collected bootlegs and drove to different states to see some shows.

I hung out with the band on a few occasions and had a sushi lunch with Billy Corgan.

I discovered that Billy was just an intelligent and talented asshole. James and Jimmy were just nice and normal people.

After those experiences, I realized that fame is bullshit and that we have unrealistic expectations of people. I applied that knowledge to church leadership as well, and stopped putting them on a pedestal.

Posted by: Tal Bachman ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 03:56AM

People yearn for leadership because we are pack animals.

Posted by: NoMoBlues ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 09:04AM

We want approval from those perceived to be most powerful and admirable in our culture. The mind naturally is always looking for role models from birth. Someone without a strong idea of who they look up to and want to be like is more vulnerable to be wowed by cults of personality.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 10:00AM

Humans evolved in tribes. We are capable of having relationships with a few hundred people, but we are now members of institutions with thousands or millions of people.

Institutions and nations try to change that by personalizing our relationship with them. They put up photos of leaders to make them seem more like tribal chiefs or parental figures to make the institution look more personable. Instead of betraying LDS, Inc, you are betraying Uncle Tommy.

Advertisers do this when they hire celebrity endorsements. Here is your favorite baseball player using this shampoo. Here is your favorite movie star eating this brand of cereal. You don't know these people, but you feel like they are part of your tribe and know things you should know.

Posted by: slipperyslope ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 10:20AM

Great comment!

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 10:11AM

From earliest childhood mormons are taught such concepts as the Bishop is the father of our ward.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 10:15AM

I never was attached to any leader. I feared the bishop. Well, I was taught to by the pervert who was my bishop when I was a teenager.

I was taught to respect the GAs. I was rather shocked by the disrespect shown to them when I first came to this board and then I realized I DIDN'T HAVE TO respect them! It was then I finally realized I had a right to be angry at them for what they had done to my life.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 10:28AM

I think Tommy is not doing them any favors by continuing to breathe.

One reason to have really old guys up top is that when you get a clunker, he generally doesn't last too long. Think how they would suffer if TSM had been in office for decades.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 10:35AM

People attach to Jeysus, Putin, Stalin, Shah Ali Baba all the time...
Perfectly normal.
We are Sheep.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 11:08AM

quinlansolo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We are Sheep.

Reminds me of a line in a Carol Lynn Pearson poem, The Sheep .. Can't remember the exact line but something like:-

"Secure in following whose wool happens to be up front with blissful Baa and unsuspicious sniff dives off the cliff".

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 10:42AM

The strong inclination to trust and/or admire those who convincingly display confidence (regardless of actual expertise), who exert authority or give the appearance of having it, and who also appear to have impressive material wealth or success appears to be a very common human bias.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 11:28AM

In very simple terms, you adore a cult leader because the cult *tells* you adore the cult leader.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 14, 2014 12:01PM

They think they are rock stars...and expect to be treated as such. I've never been a fan of such people and have zero respect for those with that attitude.

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.