Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ActiveInsideView ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 09:33PM

I know there are mixed feelings about missionaries here, but I am one of the ones who feels bad for these young men. I want to get them some things for Christmas. What are they "allowed" to have?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: theimmortalironfist ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 09:35PM

Church books, study materials, food, small knick-knacks/souvenirs reminding them of the area.

I, too, feel bad for the missionaries. Having been one, I remember what it was like to be stuck in the "You're here because of mommy and daddy" shoes.

Date: December 19, 2011 09:47PM

Thanks for the ideas :)

They told me (not sure if this is true, and don't care) they can listen to Disney songs, like from the movies.

I was also thinking about a board game or something to do in their down time. Do they get that?

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 10:30PM

I don't know why the disney song exception makes me laugh, but it does.

I don't know about board games. Don't get a deck of cards!

Maybe a pass to a local museum or tourist site might be a good gift, something they wouldn't be able to afford otherwise (or at least justify the expense)

Date: December 19, 2011 11:15PM

Do you know if they could play Uno or Phase Ten?

Date: December 20, 2011 08:17AM

Probably, it's just face cards. Some mormons have a thing about face cards (a regular deck) being of the devil.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 09:41PM

They would probably really enjoy a fifth of Johnny Walker Black (international drink of atheists, accept no substitutes) a carton of camels, and a new issue of Hustler.

Posted by: Smorg ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 09:41PM

My mishie sisters love hot cocoa, so I'm getting them a box of good hot chocolate mix each. :) I gave them a bag of practical goodies (band aids, small notebooks, pens, Tylenol, kleenex, etc) when I moved out of the old apartment last month and they really liked it... I guess they can probably make good use of the local grocery store's gift cards, too.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 09:45PM

Not sure? Give them a gift card. Get one with no other charges.

Even the 99.99 cent store has them,(9.99,19.99 on up), and they are good places to shop for small amounts of items, lots of fresh foods also. We use them regularly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2011 09:47PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: December 19, 2011 10:27PM

Candy, film, stamps, journals, food and/or grocery gift cards.

Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: December 19, 2011 10:49PM

I gave the missionary friend I wrote about in a different thread a Jerry Garcia tee shirt for christmas

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 12:04AM

How to Become a Really Good Pain in the Ass: A Critical Thinker's Guide to Asking the Right Questions by Christopher DiCarlo (Paperback - July 26, 2011)

No? Well it would be a change of pace for them.

Posted by: ipseego ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 03:41AM

A copy of the Book of Commandments.

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 10:56AM

These are all great ideas. I was thinking about gift certificates to McDonalds. They don't always have people to feed them and they are after all, just young (almost teenage) boys. McDonalds would be a treat for them.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 11:36AM

PinkPoodle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Almost all of the restaurants have gift cards now. My grand kids love them!

Posted by: fiddledizz ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 11:10AM

How about giving them some Starbucks gift cards!!!

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 01:02PM

Give 'em $80 each and give 'em a ride to the nearest strip club.

Posted by: KC ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 01:07PM

and make sure they are the nice soft type or even a silky fabric as it will give them a new feel when they use them to help release frustrations.

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 01:51PM

Food and/or gift certificates for food.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 03:05PM

Each mission is going to have different rules set by that particular mission president. Each missionary is going to have his own interpretation of how closely he follows those rules.

You can't go wrong with yummy goodies.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 04:15PM

I tried to send my nephew a birthday card when he was on a mission and it was returned as forbidden - only trifold letters open on the ends could be mailed to missionaries. I guess if it couldn't be easily read for them first it wasn't allowed

Posted by: my2cents ( )
Date: December 20, 2011 05:51PM

It was between Thanksgiving and Christmas and we stopped at a member's home that was close to where we just finished giving a discussion. I still remember their names, Bro and Sis Barraclough, a young couple without any kids at the time. We had been invited to dinner there.

When we left, they went to their pantry and emptied the entire pantry into grocery bags and gave it to us - at least 6 paper grocery bags full of canned goods, cereal, etc, even some things from the fridge were tossed in as well. I was floored, but happy as could be - we had very little in our pad to eat.

Given the pittance that missionaries are given for food, anything that resembles a good meal would be appreciated, I'm sure.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: December 21, 2011 02:37AM

Food. (not cookies and candy, real stuff to eat) All the way. Boys that age never get enough to eat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2011 02:39AM by suckafoo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.