Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thewhyalumnus ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:19PM

My TBM Uncle has read 'Rough Stone Rolling', so, of course, he now claims to know ALL the 'issues' and still believes. Since I am now exMo, he likes to email me things to prove I'm wrong to have left TSCC.

Here is the latest 'gem' from my Uncle, emailed to me last week:

"Look, nobody knew Joseph Smith better than Emma. She stood by his side, from the beginning. She loved him, until his death and beyond. She never left him. In spite of how polygamy would have been hard to swallow, she still supported every single thing he ever did. No one will ever be able to convince me that Joseph Smith was a fraud because Emma would have had every reason to expose him. Instead, she testified of his prophetic calling over and over again. Emma is THE solid evidence that Joseph Smith is everything he claimed to be."

Oh man! Uncle, you are right. Where can I buy the latest Mo-masonic underwear and recommit to it all? Oh wait, I need to make out a check to LD$ inc fast and back pay my tithing! I must hasten the work now....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:22PM

Creepy. It sounds more like he is trying to convince himself.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:25PM

Yes, Emma is the proof--because no woman in history has EVER stood by a cheating lying husband. It's just never happened. So Joseph had to be a prophet.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:28PM

Exactly! Especially women like Emma who had nothing to lose by getting out of said marriage...

Posted by: No_Hidden_Agenda ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:27PM

So since Emma was so good at discerning Joe and all that, I presume he's RLDS.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:28PM

I would be interested to know exactly when & where & under what circumstances Emma testified of her husband's prophetic abilities.

Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:30PM

exactly!

"she still supported every single thing he ever did"

my impression is that she tolerated every single thing he ever did - as long as it kept bringing in money

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 03:14PM

+1

Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:30PM

exactly!

"she still supported every single thing he ever did"

my impression is that she tolerated every single thing he ever did - as long as it kept bringing in money

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:29PM

Ok, fine. And she thought BY was a crook. Or was she speaking as a woman and not a prophetess then?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:29PM

Where would Emma have gone and what would she have done? It's not like women had a lot of options in those days. People tended to stay married whether it was working or not. You really did not see a lot of divorces until perhaps the 1980s and beyond. They were nearly unthinkable in my childhood and carried a great social stigma. Perhaps your uncle was not alive at that time or doesn't remember. But I remember!

And beyond that, I'm always at a loss as to why people think that others must share their religious faith. I would just keep telling him that what works for him does not necessarily work for you.

Posted by: Thomas S Monster ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:31PM

Emma and the boys didnt think much of brigham though

Posted by: whatiswanted ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:31PM

So I guess your uncle never heard of Emma poisoning Joes coffee? Joe accused her of it as well as Brigham Young.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:33PM

WAIT! If Emma is the proof...then that means the RLDS church is the true church...cause she went with them after Joes death.

Posted by: Facsimile 3 ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:34PM

That is ironic, since Emma is good counter-proof to the idea that the BoM witnesses never denied their testimony: Emma never denied her testimony that Joseph never practiced polygamy. Using your uncle's logic, the Church is false because Emma testified against Brigham Young for leading the Church astray.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2014 02:34PM by Facsimile 3.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:36PM

Is your father too young to remember when Emma was She Whose Name Must Not Be Spoken? Or is his memory just selective?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:38PM

Oh, and one word: co-conspirator.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:37PM

...OK.......ask Dad why did Emma, family, and the remaining BOM witnesses remain behind, and refuse to follow Bro. Brigham to the Utah territory, where the Brethren could practice polygamy outside of US governmental oversight? And why were the Smith children told by Emma that Joe never did practice that abomination? Why did Emma hate Brigham Young so much, and who suspected Emma of trying to poison the Prophet? Lot's of handwringing. The Church likes to ignore this particular period of Church history, for obvious reasons.

Even FAIR acknowledges the rocky relationship between them. If the Church was true and Joe was a true Prophet and if Brigham was God's #2 appointed Prophet, why the big split between them? Somethin' ain't right here.

http://en.fairmormon.org/Emma_Smith/Brigham_Young

Posted by: zenmaster ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 03:08PM

Interesting quote from the FAIR link...

"Brigham also doubtless considered Emma dishonest and a liar because she continued to insist that her husband had never taught the doctrine of plural marriage. So adamant was Emma on this point that the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints held it as an article of faith, and Emma's children never accepted the idea that Joseph had instituted plural marriage. Given that Brigham was blamed by Emma for being the inventor of plural marriage, he probably felt rather ill-used by her. Brigham, after all, saw Emma as fighting against the man Brigham revered as the Prophet, and he knew that Emma knew that Joseph taught plural marriage."

FAIR is actually admitting that Joseph taught plural marriage. So why is LDS Inc. throwing Brigham under the bus on this issue with the essay about plural marriage?

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 03:11PM

Excellent find and points!

Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:38PM

So what do we read into the marriage of Emma to Lewis C Bidamon (non Mormon) on Smith's birthdate 23rd Dec (1847)?

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:44PM

I'm sure it never occurred to him that Emma was in on the whole money making scheme. She was sick of being poor, on the run, and living in other peoples homes. She had everything to gain by staying with him. Not only that, she probably thought there was a good possibility he'd get himself killed and it would all be left to her, which is exactly what happened. She stayed put after his death and kept a church up and running.

Of course she didn't go along with BY. He wanted to take everything away from her and leave her poor and dependent on him. She had no interest in doing that.

And by the way, she didn't support js having mistresses. She was less than kind to those women when she found out they were doing her husband.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 02:55PM

Emma's matrimonial history is not good proof. Her second husband proves that her sticking by her men isn't much.

Date: July 18, 2014 03:02PM

Whoah, I posted this and did not expect to come back to so many comments. Love it!

Pretty much everything mentioned here, so far, is nearly exactly what I was thinking when he sent me that email.

(By the way, this is not my Dad. See my OP Subject line)

My uncle is the type of TBM who thinks the shady side of Joseph Smith is all part of God's Plan to test His people.

And, no, he does not have a clue that Emma clearly hated Joseph, in Nauvoo. Nor does he connect the dots that, according to his lame 'proof', the RLDS church is the true one.

Thank you all for helping me feel that I am not alone. The TBM world that surrounds me is like living in the Twilight Zone, every day. Yep, I won the family lottery.

Date: July 18, 2014 03:07PM

"My uncle is the type of TBM who thinks the shady side of Joseph Smith is all part of God's Plan to test His people."

If this is true, then I don't want to worship a god so inconsistent that the very basic 10 commandments could be broken based on the whims of a man. What about modern day so-called prophets like Warren Jeffs? How does your uncle feel about the FLDS? If he finds it disgusting, then ask him in what ways they are disgusting but not what JS did? Teenage brides and polyandry or wife-assignment happened in both cases.

Date: July 18, 2014 03:04PM

Actually, Emma always told her sons that JS did NOT participate in polygamy ("spiritual wivery" or whatever they wanted to call it). She is even on record saying this in her later years when being interviewed by her son JS III. This goes against numerous accounts of Emma freaking out each time she found out about what JS was up to. So I would suggest that your uncle reconcile Emma's inconsistency on the matter first.

On supporting JS, she wanted D&C 132 destroyed and said the revelation was "of the devil". Pretty much all of this is in RSR. Maybe your uncle selectively missed connecting those dots.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 03:21PM

This is just my opinion. I think Emma told her boys that their father was never a poligamist because she didn't want them taking it up and passing it on in the RLDS church. Also, she didn't want the boys thinking bad of their father. She had a lot of secrets to keep, that was just one of many. She kept that one for her own benefit.

Posted by: crissykays ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 03:24PM

Poor Emma is all I can say she did stay by his side but like my grandma said about by partying grandpa "you stayed with them back then" What else was Emma to do. Staying with JS doesn't make anything he did right it just means Emma was doing probably the only thing she knew to do. As soon as I found out what a Liar old joe was that was IT for me all the extras fall down. NO prophet should or would want to lie.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 03:46PM

Tell your uncle that Ron Burr from Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada says he's a delusional moron. And I'm in the phone book.

Ron Burr

Date: July 18, 2014 03:51PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tell your uncle that Ron Burr from Lethbridge,
> Alberta, Canada says he's a delusional moron. And
> I'm in the phone book.
>
> Ron Burr

This comment just made my day! Don't get me wrong, I love my uncle, but, this is perfect. ha ha.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 03:49PM

Did your uncle sleep through page 498 where it's speculated that Emma tried to poison Joseph?

Date: July 18, 2014 03:53PM

releve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did your uncle sleep through page 498 where it's
> speculated that Emma tried to poison Joseph?

Oh man, the mental gymnastics and selective nature of my uncle is off the charts. My uncle is a 'know it all' who knows very little of reality.

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 03:55PM

I have a family member or two like that - we just call if Cliff Clavinism.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 04:07PM

Hmm. It doesn't occur to him that maybe Emma was somewhat in on it, as some of her contemporaries suspected?

Posted by: revdrmichael ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 04:40PM

Actually Emma did pack her stuff and leave Joe. It was after he moved seven wives into their boarding house and Emma got pissed. She moved back to her family's place. Joe, of course, went after her telling her that it looks bad for the prophet's wife to leave him. He begged her to return.

She told Joe that he had to get those bitches out of her house or she wasn't coming back. He moved them out.

Remember Joe had over thirty wives.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.