Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cwm31s ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 08:16PM

And my family is going! Maybe they should add an act where an excavator digs up the hill so everyone can try to find proof of BOM times, and then when they don't see it, tears of frustration and gnashing of teeth result... Would be nice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 08:21PM

You know, I find these pageants often strangely reminiscent of the types of dramas permitted during Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution (无产阶级文化大革命) in the P.R. of China. Despite the fact that P.R. of China is supposedly atheist, Mao was worshipped like a god during that period, just as Kim Jeong-eun is in North Korea today.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 08:22PM

The Lord will prevent rain from spoiling the spectacle, unless it rains. Then denial will do.

It's an old Mormon myth that the pageant never gets rained out.

Posted by: cwm31s ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 09:08PM

You know, It has rained every time I went up there.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 09:28PM

Funny story. I was about thirteen when I went to the pageant and already disgusted with the fakery. Just before the show started, the sky was rumbling and thick with heavy clouds. A murmur went up through the crowd. Excited Mormons were bragging about how it had never rained on a pageant, and the Lord wouldn't allow it.

Right at the beginning of the show, it began to drizzle. Everyone smiled with wet faces. No one held anything over his or her head. They all agreed it wasn't really raining. Very light drops fell through about the first half of the show and then stopped. All agreed it was a miracle. I looked around me like John Waters at a Forrest Gump showing, wishing there were someway to stab everyone.

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 08:46PM

I'm thinking about going. I wonder what it's like as an exmo.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 08:56PM

I went twice. It was so corny and awful. We also went to the sacred (ugh, I hate even saying that) grove, the printer where the first edition was printed (I think) and a bunch of other Mormon historical sites.

Personally, I was more interested in the beautiful old victorian homes in Canandaigua on the way in than anything I saw at the pageant. I still have pics of my girls with some boys dressed as Lamanites. The girls were pre-teens and thought they were hot.

Posted by: dirtbikr ( )
Date: July 18, 2014 09:24PM

Cracks me up when I hear the hill was in so america or central america, comon people, make up your minds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2014 09:26PM by dirtbikr.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.