Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 06:56PM

--Mormons Boasteth About Giving The Mosteth--

Mormons brag that they are the most charitable people on the planet, based, they say, on their self-administered back-patting payment of tithes.

Head PR flack for LDS, Inc., Michael Otterson, declares:

“ . . . [S]elf-identified members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints [in a study by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life] . . . give generously to their church--79% of the sample said they pay tithing, the charitable contribution that is generally taken to be 10% of a person’s income.”

(Michael Otterson, “Mormons in the Mainstream,” under “On Faith: A Conversation on Religion and Politics,” in “Washingont Post,” 12 January 2012, at: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/post/mormons-in-the-mainstream/2012/01/12/gIQANtFGtP_blog.html)

But is Mormon tithe-"giving" a genuinely-offered “charitable donation”--or the coughing up of money under pressure from the LDS Cult, exacted via warnings that if Mormons do not tithe, they will not thrive?
_____

--Mormons Are Married to Their Money (Literally)--

A recent article in the "New York Times" notes that Mormon tithing is a requirment of Mormon canonical law, the payment of which has central bearing on whether Latter-day Saints receive temple blessings of forever marriage:

“Tithing is an ancient practice with roots in the Hebrew Bible but is rarely observed now. Mormons are an exception, because their church strongly emphasizes tithing, and considers it among the requirements for entering temples, where the church’s highest sacraments, including marriage, are observed."

(Michael Paulson,“To Tithe or Not to Tithe …,” in "New York Times," 28 January 2012, at: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/sunday-review/religions-inspire-charity.html)
_____

--Mormon Tithing Is Not a Reflection of a Genuine Charitable Offering--

As one skeptic of Mormonism's tithe-driven “charitable” impulse observed:

“He's [Mitt Romney's] one of the richest presidential candidates in history, and he is obliged by the Mormon church to tithe, i.e., give 10% of his income back to the [Mormon] church.

“. . . [G]iving to the church is not quite the same as giving to charity . . . . ”

{“God Bless,” on “Comic: Politics,” 14 January 2012, at: http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/opinion/report/011412_mormontithing/god-bless/)
_____

--Mormon Tithing Is Not Gifted by the Generous but Grabbed by the Greedy--

In reality, Mormons do not give over tithing as a generously-offered personal gift, but instead fork it over as a "divinely-ordered" requirement, relinquished out of guilt-based fear that they will be judged as unfaithful and ultimately punished by God if they don't “contribute."

As critics of Mormon's compulsory "tithe-and-be-saved" savings program note:

“Tithing . . . should be a gift, but the LDS Church makes it an obligation.  Fear is often used as a motivator to get people to pay a full tithing.  How many times ha[s] [one] heard the term 'fire insurance' associated with tithing?  He who is tithed shall not be burned at Christ's' Second coming.  Malachi 8:10 is often quoted: 'Will a man rob God, yet ye have robbed me.'

“The guilt placed upon Latter-day Saints can be considerable.  [Mormns] are not considered members in 'good standing' if [they're] not paying tithing.  [Mormons] cannot attend the temple if [they] don't pay [their] tithing.  [They] cannot have temple-related callings or any high-profile positions if [they're] not full tithe-payers.  And if [Mormons] are full tithe-payers, [they're] often counseled to then start paying generous fast offerings, contributing to the missionary fund, etc.

“Why is tithing so emphasized in the LDS Church along with the companion statement that 'The Lord Does Not Need Your Money'?  [Mormons] are sure that the Lord does not need the money, but why does "His True Church" put so much of an emphasis on it to make it a frequent topic of sacramenteeting talks, to put it in the Sunday School, Priesthood and Relief Society lessons, to create a novel way of teaching tithing to Primary children (i.e. the teacher gives the child 10 pennies and she is asked to put one penny in the tithing envelope and give it to the bishop)?

“Why are members called to tithing settlement once a year and reminded to settle their unpaid tithes? Why are ward audits held? Why do Bishops receive letters from church headquarters warning them that their wards have given out more fast offering funds to members than was collected from their wards, and that they need to exhort their members to contribute more fast offerings? . . .

"The yearly tithing settlement [is] . . . very corporate and controlling. It reminds [one] more of the IRS than Christ. Somehow [one] can never imagine Christ's apostles having yearly tithing settlements and demanding that repentant people pay 10% of their income before being allowed to worship in the temples.

"Why is a tithing settlement necessary anyway? God knows what [one] paid and to whom. Perhaps [one would] have an easier time believing in the church if they didn't harp on money so much. With $ involved, it's obvious they have something to gain by [people's] continued membership in the [Mormon] church, so how can [one] ever trust them to be totally honest on issues that would affect [one's] membership and thereby their income? . . .

"[A former Mormon bishop noted]:

"Regarding tithing, . . . I have been a member of a major denomination--Protestant. I was never pressured to pay tithing like I was in the Mormon Church. There is a distinct and unmistakable preoccupation with money/tithing, that I never experienced in my previous denomination. In that church, you paid what you felt that God had asked you to pay. It was your decision. Furthermore, you were never questioned as to whether or not you had paid a 'full' tithe. I was never, ever interviewed by the minister about how much I gave."

(“Tithing," under “Motivation to Pay Tithing,” at: http://mormonthink.com/tithing.htm#definition)
_____

--Building the Mormon Moola Machine: Your Money or Your Eternal Life--

In fact, Mormon tithing is not a charitable contribution, in any true sense of the word:

"The LDS Church holds such power and sway over its members that it demands absolute trust, and gets it, even though the church does not trust them back enough to let them know where donated tithing money is being spent or invested.

"LDS tithes are not used for charity, but are used to build the kingdom. Sure, the LDS Church does some good with their money, like helping out with the earthquake in Haiti, but they could really do so much more with their enormous financial empire that's been built from the generous donations of its members over the last century.

"The church gives so little to the poor and needy in comparison to what it takes in every year. Why not just give the money to the needy yourself (via Red Cross or other established charities or even to people you know directly that are in need) and know with some surety that your money is actually going to help people and not be used to buy malls or even to build more unnecessary temples?"
_____

--Consider Other Options: The Gift That Keeps On Giving Is Not the Tithing That LDS, Inc. Keeps On Stealing--

"The modern LDS Church in the 21st century simply no longer needs additional tithing dollars. If [one] feel[s] [they] need to still pay tithing, then [can] pay [their] tithing to reputable charities that distribute their money to the poor and needy or look for cures to diseases and the like. God knows [one has] paid money to these organizations - even without a tithing settlement.

"So, [one] can donate [their] charitable dollars to organizations . . . or [they] can help the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Corporation grow from $100 billion to $200 billion.

"'You go back and tell Brigham Young that I'll give up the Lord's money when he sends me a receipt signed by the Lord, and no sooner.' (Sam Brannan, as quoted in 'California Saints,' p. 153)"

("Tithing," under "Our Thoughts," at: http://mormonthink.com/tithing.htm#definition)

Edited 35 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2012 10:04AM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sayhitokolob4me ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 07:01PM

Agree, this is why when the media talks about Mitt Romney being so charitable, they don't understand that his 'charity' for the most part is tithing, which really is not charity at all. It is not voluntary, it is a regular payment in order to receive something in return, and should not be tax-deductible.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 07:39PM

If you don't pay tithing, none of the rest of it matters. You can be the most righteous person in the room. If you gave your 10% to the red cross, you're going to hell.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 07:49PM

I'd like to see how much mormons would give to LD$ Inc. if it was not a tax deduction.

How come their so called "charity" is ultimately paid for by the taxpayers ?

Posted by: jessica ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 07:51PM

The sad thing is, no one knows where all this damn money is going..if I paid tithing and knew it was actually helping the poor I'd be ok with it..but the LDS church is not financially transparent in the U.S. Which means even Mitt doesn't know where that money went. How is that charity at all?

Posted by: pamarnold ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 08:20PM

I have felt so much happier giving my money to worthwhile organizations since leaving the Church. It brings so much MORE joy.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 08:25PM

Tithing required to gain access to the Temple and the CK = EXTORTION.

Date: January 29, 2012 08:40PM

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 12:53AM

Date: January 30, 2012 11:14AM

TSCC says tithing is required to obtain all the "blessings of the Temple".

This is no different than the Catholic church selling "indulgences" in the Middle Ages.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 08:58PM

Ummm, Mr.Otters son, how come I can't write off membership dues as a charitable donation?

And further, how come the church says we have to give to them before paying bills and taxes? Is that a donation?

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 09:08PM

I paid tithing for over a year after I lost my belief, merely so that my wife could keep her temple recommend. I kept telling myself every month, "Its cheaper than a divorce lawyer." What kind of church uses someone's marriage as leverage to extort tithing money from them?

Excellent post, Steve.

Posted by: Mormonisn't ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 09:45PM

THE BOOK OF MORMON
CHAPTER 8
32 Yea, it shall come in a day when there shall be churches built up that shall say: Come unto me, and for your money you shall be forgiven of your sins.

37 For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted.

Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 11:01PM

I was just thinking of all the tithing settlements I sat through during the years. The church I attend now has a deal where people put a commitment on a slip and turn it it so the church can budget appropriately. Here is a great difference that struck me though. I never fill out the paper and NEVER am I approached about it. I give what I give and that's it. Our pastor has even had a sermon or two on tithing but no "strong arm" speeches have ever been uttered. He did say it would be great if everyone was a full tithe payer but he understands and says 'give what you feel comfortable with and then see if you can work your way up." I also know our church gives generously to many local charities.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 29, 2012 11:41PM

Why have exmormons never organized to inform legislators that Mormon donations are not voluntary, but required under pain of punishment and withholding of access to the places of worship for which they receive tax-exempt status?????

This can't be legal, is it?

Anagrammy

Date: January 29, 2012 11:44PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 11:48PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Exmogal ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 10:12AM

That's what my Nevermo Aunt in Europe said. "How can that be legal?"

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 12:45AM

Any contract, whether written or implied, that requires the signer to perform under duress is null and void.

I will not be extorted by men or gods.

Thanks, Steve.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 12:46AM

And if you don't have a temple recommend, will your Dad's wealthy friends give you and your friends at Bain some of their money to invest on their behalf (and let you keep 20% of the gains)?

It's the price of admission here and hereafter.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 05:49AM

the MORmON incineration threat repeated by Gordon BS Hinckley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xaYMdHNILw

what is the business secret for Utah's largest corporation ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Z3YSRogyo

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 05:51AM

you mean like EXTORTION .... Like CRIMINAL activity .... like TERRORISM ?

Posted by: Sarony ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 08:03AM

I don't think tithing should be tax deductable unless the books are opened. Since the taxpayer is subsidizing the tithepayer's tax burden, the taxpayer should be allowed to know how "charitable" the spending is.

Date: January 30, 2012 11:19AM

Exactly. Also, how many people would want to give money to a charity that refuses to open its books?

There are charity watchdog groups that rate charities A-F based on how efficient they are with the money that is donated. They publish the % of money spent on admin expenses. There are a few groups, especially one that uses a lot of TV advertising, that has been rated F for many years - Feed The Children. Story after story of goods "lost" from the warehouses, money lost from bank accounts, poor recordkeeping, large loans given to family members, etc.

Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: January 30, 2012 10:11AM

Not to mention that tithing doesn't actually go towards the poor among the membership. I didn't actually know this until I was almost 40,and the Bishop explained that only fast offering goes towards the poor of the ward.

So then I thought to myself, what does all the tithing money go to, because I can imagine that many members only pay tithing, and only some of them give the FO.

Why, towards the "business" of the church itself - likelyy salaries of the leaders in SLC, the buildings they work in, BYU, maybe the ward buildings but other investments as well. The "Business" arm of the Corp.

How misleading, when all those years I was led to believe our hard earned tithing donations went towards helping the poor and needy!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.