Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 02:26PM

...and I've only infrequently been in any a VERY few times in my life (once when I was in Camp Fire Girls, when I was about eleven or twelve, and we were in our leader's Lutheran Church one weekday night for some kind of "just us" meeting, and---when Mrs. Kelly was busy elsewhere on the church grounds---we ALL made a field trip into the men's restroom of the church so we could FINALLY know what men's restrooms were like :D )...

...so I don't know about something I read about yesterday, somewhere on the web, about urinals in LDS men's restrooms.

WHAT is a "urine cake"? (Until yesterday, I had never before heard of this.)

From the description, I don't think there was such a thing in the urinals in men's restroom at St. Luke's...at least, not at that time. If there had been, we would have noticed it and had questions about it, and I can tell you that this definitely did not happen.

So...second question: does anyone know when "urine cakes" entered into mainstream American men's urinals?

Thank you very much for your kind and experienced wisdom!!!

:D

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 02:29PM

Date: July 20, 2014 02:32PM

ConcernedCitizen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...a real "urinal cake."
>
> http://cakefriday.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/urin
> al.jpg

I don't think this is what was being talked about yesterday. There was talk of Monson's picture in what I read yesterday, and I don't see any pictures of him at all on this cake. ;)

Thank you for your added insight though. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 02:33PM by tevai.

Date: July 20, 2014 02:59PM

Heresy Wrote:
> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=searc
> h-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=urinal%20cake

Okay, now I sort of understand.

But the PINK colors? What is "pink," as a color of choice, supposed to mean in the context of a men's restroom in OUR culture?

And the cherry and bubble gum fragrances? What associations are THEY supposed to evoke in the minds of the many different men using that restroom?

Seems to me that there are some things being subliminally alluded to (at the very least) within a population that is, by the nature of the product, intended for males only.

But now I do understand.

Thank you, Heresy!!!

P.S. The men's restroom at St. Luke's was TOTALLY odorless--it smelled no different than any other part of St. Luke's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 03:00PM by tevai.

Posted by: ain't got no name yet ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 03:01PM

I so there now.

Do Mormons use these anymore in the the men's room, or are they too cheap for that?

Date: July 20, 2014 03:00PM

Don't know what a urinal cake is? How would you, I guess? Anyway, it's a hard "cake" think similar to those things that hang on the rim of the toilet and put off a scent. Except that you pee onto the cakes, and in time they dissolve and degrade. They have a good scent, but thing is, other things that have the same scent remind men of urinals. DW is still angry that I pointed out that her favorite hairspray smells like urinal cake. I argued and argued that, no, not URINE!, urinal cake.

(Special note: For urine and urinal, Brits say "YOUR-eyne," and "your-EYE-nal." God, I love the UK and especially Brits, but that one's too much and it makes me laugh anytime I hear it.)

Date: July 20, 2014 03:04PM

Uh-huh...and vice versa, too, I would think. ;)

Thank you, ain't got no name yet!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 10:13PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 04:51PM

Er... We Brits DO say ur-eye-nal, but we don't say 'ureyne", we say "Ur-in"

We also say Ur-anus for the planet, however, as it should be ;-)

Tom in Paris

Date: July 20, 2014 07:07PM

Then I will leave the letter-writing to you. You need to contact those people on "Call the Midwife" and "How Clean Is Your House" to quit saying "YOUR-eyne," because Brits don't say it.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 03:05PM

When we were in school, in the men's urinals, there were spinners, and when you peed, a spinner would point to any number of spaces indicating things like "skip school" or "free lunch" or try again. I never before- nor since- knew peeing to be a game.

Date: July 20, 2014 03:16PM

That is neat!!!!!!

Not only fun, but possibly (depending on the "technique" used to work the spinner) could also be of positive "exercise" value too...the kind of exercise that is often recommended for sexually-active males to enhance--or restore--their sex lives. (The kind of thing where a male can consciously "lift," and then consciously control the relaxing of the "lift," gradually using "weights"--like a pair of shorts loosely draped over, for example--to increase the strength and amount of control.)

I have never, ever heard of this before. These spinners were in the restrooms at schools???

This is truly AMAZING...and I am, indeed, AMAZED.

Thank you, moremany!!!

A truly fascinating contribution to this thread!!! :D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 09:44PM by Susan I/S.

Date: July 20, 2014 07:28PM

Tevai: I liked your post... and thanks for the post addition, compliment.

I never asked other boys what they thought of this but school admin. must have thought it relevant to education... or aim at least.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 09:44PM by Susan I/S.

Date: July 20, 2014 07:30PM

BTW, I will never appreciate the smell of those things. P or choke!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 05:36PM

In drive in theater mens rooms there were often peeing troughs. There would be cigarette butts in there, and we would try to destroy those by peeing on them. We drank a lot of beer, so we had a lot of ammo. Nobody could conquer those True brand, plastic filtered butts, though.

I think George Carlin did a bit on this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 05:39PM by donbagley.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 05:38PM

Funny sign over a urinal:

Please don't throw cigarettes in urinal - it makes them hard to re-light.

Some joker had added the part after the hyphen.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 09:45PM

You can put a few Cheerios in there as targets. Works great :)

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 03:19PM

Oh crap. You mean those aren't complimentary mints ?!!?

Date: July 20, 2014 03:20PM

Guess not......

:D :D :D

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 04:39PM

So I'm glad you helped us become informed.

As inadequate as the ladies' facilities are, I prefer not sharing with men. As much as I love them, I don't want to share their bathroom space.

Posted by: Lilith ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 05:45PM

My husband is a truck driver and many of the warehouses and places we pick up have unisex restrooms. I hate them. I always joke that NOT passing the ERA was supposed to assure me I would never have to share a restroom LOL. They didn't get the memo. I LOVE to point this out to anti ERA conservatives.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 09:25PM

No problem in homes or places with tall good doors without view slits and where there's no peeing in a communal setting.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 06:01PM

The building I work in has a unisex bathroom with a urinal and a urinal cake! It's completely disgusting to have to share a restroom, enough that I will walk to other buildings that are far away just to pee. I had seen urinals before but never the cake until I started working here.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 06:56PM

Who ever took target practice at a blue or green spot, That's why they are pink. I see mats more lately. I don't like them they cause too much splashing.

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:10PM

tevai Wrote:
> So...second question: does anyone know when "urine
> cakes" entered into mainstream American men's
> urinals?

I see no one has answered your second question yet, so leave it to a girl to answer it in a limited fashion.

I know urinal cakes were in use by the late 1950s. Any earlier, I don't know about, as I was pre-existent. :)

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:11PM

I don't think I've seen urinal cakes in years (probably at least 20 or so). Not that I use public restrooms that much, but they usually have screens similar to this

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/756555/Continental-Deod-O-Screen-Urinal-Screens/;jsessionid=0000ly-OQbdAC93OJaxYQg-_Ypu:17h4h7ado

Date: July 20, 2014 07:14PM

Splashing is the worst!

It is our aim to please.
We wish you would aim too.

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 09:47PM

When you tinkle, if you sprinkle;
Be a sweetie and wipe the seatie!

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 07:21PM

To set the record straight, a urinal cake is a chemical disinfectant about the size as a bar of soap. It resides near the drain if a mens urinal. It's purpose is two-fold: to disinfect the bowl and to cover up odor.

In the interest of full disclosure, many of my brothers, mo and EXMO don't flush the urinal. Without urinal cakes, it's difficult to walk up without passing out. This explains why a lot of guys(myself included) flush both before and after.

The Boner!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 09:39PM

do not attempt to use a brand new urinal cake as a car air freshener !
I'm warning you !

It took a long time to get that smell out of my car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 09:41PM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 09:48PM

On an episode of Frasier, it was revealed that Niles' ex wife Maris' family had amassed their fortune in the urinal cake business.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 10:10PM

Old time (enlisted) Navy slang. Urinal cakes were "Officer Candy."

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 10:12PM

I admit I find urinal cakes to be perplexing. First world urinals = modern sewer systems. What else could possibly be needed?

I remember getting a bit of an ego boost out of being unfazed by the restroom facilities when I was so fortunate to be able to travel to Kenya and Tanzania.

Half the time one was faced with no more than a hole in the ground for men and women alike. The fancier ones had running water in the form of a spray hose to 'clean up' the area around the hole afterward. I managed pretty well with squatting and was very glad of travel skirts where all I had to worry about was getting underwear out of the way.

I tried to prepare for the prospect of needing to stand up to pee by purchasing P-Mates: http://www.amazon.com/P-Mate-Female-Disposable-Urine-Director/dp/B000R8YAH4.

However, to my dismay I found that my childhood toilet training and a lifetime of habit meant that in order for my bladder to feel safe in releasing, more often than not I needed to at least approximate a 'sit' (squat) in order to pee.

DH was a doll, spending many a minute outside a hole in the ground describing waterfalls and leaky faucets to my giggling and groaning in embarrassment self.

Funny how potty things bring out such vulnerabilities in many of us...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.