Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: I'm not real anymore ( )
Date: July 20, 2014 11:59PM

What happened? I turned 60 and I feel like I am not real anymore!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 12:37AM

about every 10 years.

I don't know what your circumstances are, whether you just left the church, or if you just realized that some other major element of your identity isn't working for you anymore. Or maybe you are depressed and feel disconnected.

But maybe this is a wakeup call to create something new in your life.

If you give a little more information, maybe people can make suggestions about things that might help you.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 01:46AM

Sixty is a big one. I'm turning sixty next week. I'm divorced, four great kids, all grown and on their own, so no problems there. But I'm struggling to pay the bills and I've been applying for other jobs that pay more, all the while realizing that nobody wants to hire a sixty year old.

I feel like the best years of my life are over and I don't have much to look forward to, especially not retirement because I still have a mortgage that won't be paid off until I'm in my 80s. I don't date because guys my age want younger women (my ex is dating somebody 17 years younger) and I personally am not interested in older men who will probably need a nurse in a few years (ok, that's a stereotype, but yeah, that's how I feel).

I'm just doing my best to hold it together day to day. Robbing Peter to pay Paul and enjoying little things. I'm active in local politics so I do have a cause to work for and I try to get together with my friends as often as I can.

I'm having a party on August 2nd with one of my besties who is also turning 60 in a couple of weeks. If you can make it to Pennsylvania, you're invited!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 10:16AM

Easier said than done?

Perhaps.

Still, that's my best advice. Get out there and have a good time today.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 10:34AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 01:35PM

take a skydiving lesson.

Things tend to get real very fast.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 01:47PM

I think at least age 38 when I found out my husband was cheating and I started to gain weight. Go around people in their 20s and be overweight. I was invisible for a long, long time. I think I'm more visible at 57 than I was at 38 through 48. I barely existed for those 10 years.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 01:52PM

You must be "real" you're typing on a devise that is putting your ideas on this Internet forum! :-)

Live your life the way you want, be the kind of person that brings you the most peace of mind.
Live, love, laugh!
That's very real!
Enjoy it!
I'm older, and been through a lot of changes in my life. I found that I just roll with the punches and find a way to live in a peaceful existence!

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:19PM

Sixty is tough. I think that reaching sixty was when I realized that some of the things I hoped to do in my life were not going to happen. Until sixty I always felt that there was still time for circumstances to change enough for me to attain those goals. It was disappointing.

I don't want to sound like Polyanna, but to get through this, with a decent quality of life, you have to spend more time appreciating what you have than lamenting what you don't have.

I'll be sixty-seven in two weeks. There are things I can't do, things I can do more slowly and things I still have to try. Once in awhile I'll discover a new and better way to do something I've been doing for years and I always have the thought, "Well, I'm not done yet". I'm sure that you're not done yet either, so think of something you want to try and try it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.