Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Memes circa 2000 ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 06:16PM

I am no Einstein, but the anti-authoritarian personality type fits me to a T. On top of that, I'm a woman and that made for a wholly dysfunctional trip through Mormonism.

The link is below. Here is an excerpt.

"Anti-authoritarians question whether an authority is a legitimate one before taking that authority seriously. Evaluating the legitimacy of authorities includes assessing whether or not authorities actually know what they are talking about, are honest, and care about those people who are respecting their authority. And when anti-authoritarians assess an authority to be illegitimate, they challenge and resist that authority—sometimes aggressively and sometimes passive-aggressively, sometimes wisely and sometimes not. "

A guranteed recipe for trouble within a church hell bent on seeing members pay, pray and obey without asking any questions.

http://www.alternet.org/health/154225/would_we_have_drugged_up_einstein_how_anti-authoritarianism_is_deemed_a_mental_health_problem/?page=entire

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 06:39PM

...I was thinking the same thing. Another bad fit would be a curious personality.

Posted by: TheIrrationalShark ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 08:00PM

That's my problem. I'm extraordinarily curious about everything. If I have a question, no matter how trivial, I want an answer. For example; I was once wondering why Asians had different eyelids than most other people, so I looked it up and found out that they may have been evolved to help protect their eyes from harsh weather conditions in Asia. (in case you were wondering, lol)

Basically, I was bound to question the church at some point or another, based off curiosity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 08:04PM by theirrationalshark.

Posted by: untarded ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 07:20PM

"Obedience to Authority" by Stanley Milgram gave me an understanding of what authority is and how it's perceived.

I recommend it to everyone.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 07:38PM

anti-authoritarian, iconoclast, introvert, curious, thoughtful, reflective, comparative, creative, sensitive and interested in history.

I am the worst possible person for Mormonism, and they let me know it.

Posted by: yours_truly ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 08:03PM

We're all bad according to most authoritarian ideologies...

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 08:04PM

I couldn't agree more. It's as simple as, "Who are you to be telling me that?"

Nothing wrong with finding out what your doctor's credentials and track record are before he operates, so why not question your religious leader before he operates on your whole life--- just like you would question anyone else?

If you have nothing to back up your claims, then making questioning a sin is a very clever tactic.

Posted by: Chromesthesia ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 08:17PM

Hmmm.... I definitely have the wrong personality-
Hyper introverted
Anti-social
Not fond of cliques, packs, groups of any kind
I hate authority.
I have asperger's
I'm into heavy metal and tattoos and I won't stop getting tattoos until my arms are covered in butterflies and moths and I'll probably start getting some on my legs.
I want to know the TRUTH the whole truth. Nothing but the truth, dang it!
I'm female. Black. Yeah.... Being Seventh Day Adventist became difficult enough.
And did I mention I'm bisexual?

Posted by: I'mjustsayin ( )
Date: February 29, 2012 08:22PM

A logical one.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.