Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kimnotnaomi ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 10:47AM

I am in the process of moving. I found my old temple clothing in my cedar chest. Wondering what is the best way to get rid of it. For some reason I feel like I can't just throw it all away in the trash can....Any suggestions.
I know this probably sounds ridiculous, but I really don't know what to do with them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 10:49AM

They don't take up much space.

They are great to pull out at a party if the conversation comes around and somebody calls BS on the bakers hat.

You keep them.

Date: July 21, 2014 11:13AM

I didn't think to keep them. But now....perhaps I will.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:44PM

If you were to open the drawer in the kitchen, the one with the OvGloves, pot holders and aprons in it, you would most definitely see green. :-)

Posted by: ain't got no name yet ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 04:51PM

Keep them. You will need them someday when the LDS church publicizes that temple clothing is all a lie made up by anti-Mormons. You could also wear them for Halloween. Or you could send them to me. I'll even pay postage.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:23PM

I've worn mine twice in public. Once at a murder mystery dinner that was greek themed and it worked perfect for my character (didn't wear the fig leaf). And started quite the interesting conversation. Another time I wore it when I took a class called Cakes For the Queen of Heaven. It explored the Goddess mythology and the ancient divine feminine traditions. At the last class we did a little ritual and were asked to wear something representative of the Goddess. Lightbulb moment! I could wear what I wore when I was anointed to become a Goddess. Again, what a conversation when I explained my outfit (fig leaf and ugly veil as well).

You never know when it might come in handy. Toga party? Perfect for the men's outfit.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 10:51AM

You have some choices:
1. throw them out
2. give them to someone in the LDS Church
3. keep them.

Others?

I have held onto the temple robes, etc. I have them in a small plastic box in a cupboard. No one in my family would use them, so I may just toss them out at some point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2014 10:54AM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 10:58AM

Put them up for auction on eBay or for sale on Craigs list.

Date: July 21, 2014 11:14AM

Willie: Do people really do that? I feel so indoctrinated still that I don't know if I could do that :)

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 11:16AM

Use the apron as an outdoor flag. Fly it the last week of every month. This will keep all home and visiting teachers away.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 12:30PM

That's too good of an answer to just pass by. Thanks for that bit of humor. Perhaps we could have Apron Sunday, kind of like Fast Sunday.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 12:32PM

Lol!

Date: July 21, 2014 01:03PM

LOL! Maybe on July 24 when my Mormon neighbors are flying the red, white, and blue, I could fly my own kind of flag. Thanks for the laugh alice :D

Posted by: evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 12:22PM

Gird up your loins and have the courage to just toss the garmies in the trash. It will be a symbol of you throwing away your indoctrination.

Posted by: braindead ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 12:29PM

It is fabric. Cheaply constructed, nothing special fabric. Throw it in the trash can. The act of throwing them out, along with all things Mormonism, is incredibly cathartic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2014 12:31PM by braindead.

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 01:11PM

You could wrap them up in tissue paper, put them in an unlabeled box and tuck it away somewhere you will rarely come across it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2014 04:00PM by Plaid n Paisley.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 01:30PM

The apron you can use on St. Patrick's day when you make cookies.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 02:37PM

My apron had been hand embroidered by a relative, so I returned it to her. I gave her the rest of the outfit to keep at her second home which is by a temple.

Mormonism is a religion that I no longer belong to. That puts it in the same class as all of the other world religions. I would not desecrate the trappings of any other religion, so I don't feel comfortable desecrating the trappings of Mormonism.

That's me, you should do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:07PM

That's a good and very accurate point, releve, and I have to say I'm jealous that you're able to have that perspective. I guess I'm still in the 'anger' phase of my recovery so I don't feel like being that fair just yet. Hopefully, I'll get there someday.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 04:01PM

They have good shock value if a kid is considering a mission or someone is thinking of being baptized.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 04:28PM

There is a lot of handwork on my green apron so I am going to make a throw pillow or a hobo style handbag out of it. That green color is quite in style these days!

Posted by: magic823 ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 04:52PM

Sold mine on ebay years ago. I got a decent amount for them.

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 10:40PM

magic823 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sold mine on ebay years ago. I got a decent amount
> for them.

What category and how much did they sell for? I have my original robes, etc. plus my white ordinance workers suit and shoes that I'd like to get rid of rather than tossing them.

Date: July 21, 2014 04:55PM

Thanks all!! So many choices....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.