Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 01:04PM

...tomorrow, Dan Ackman, major thorn in the side of Herbalife, will continue his assault agains the MLM, in a presentation before investors, attempting to prove Herbalife a "fraud."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101852868

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140718005546/en/Update-Pershing-Square-Capital-Management-Present-Investigation#.U81GCUCjvUK

http://www.herbalifepyramidscheme.com/

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 21, 2014 01:06PM

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 01:31PM

Actually, that's Bill Ackman, who has had a major short position (later reduced somewhat) in Herbal Life for 16 months, and has taken a bit of a beating over it.

If you dig around here, I think you can find discussion of his hedge-fund and its shorting of HL:

http://www.forbes.com/profile/william-ackman/

especially here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2014/03/18/bill-ackmans-herbalife-short-bet-gets-30-percent-better/

I'm wishing him every success ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2014 01:33PM by 3X.

Date: July 21, 2014 01:41PM

...I saw my screwup right after I posted. I was playing an old VHS tape of Dan Akroyd short-scenes. I was watching too closely.......word/name association, I guess........BAD! :)

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 04:31PM

Date: July 22, 2014 07:31PM

...yes, it didn't go his way, but there might be more scrutiny regarding this MLM, and many others. It's unfortunate that the Church membership is always "harvested" in frauds like this. But, they seem to be fine with it................

Posted by: 2+2=4 ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 10:22PM

I have been following the story, so I watched the entire presentation today, and have read some of the published reactions, and observed both yesterday's and today's stock market response.

One impression I came away with:

Like Mormonism, MLM fraud is unusually (and maybe counter intuitively) complicated, outrageously dishonest and obfuscated. The perpetrators lie so much, blatantly employ DARVO and other bad faith tactics against victims/critics, and the story seems so far fetched, that such a massive fraud would be allowed to go on for so long, that it is too difficult for your average Joe or Joanne to get their mind around the whole thing. Ackman is absolutely right, and was also right to compare it as he did at a couple of points to the mafia or totalist groups or the like....what I mean is, it is definitely on the cult spectrum. But to get the public to understand it.....that is soooo difficult....and getting the public/the market to see it is obviously getting crazy making for even someone with the brains and financial resources of Ackman.

He is in the same boat all of us here are, in a way.

One weird detail from today's expose on the HLF "Nutrition Clubs": Nut Club owners are taught as part of the Nut Club biz system (and don't question the system!... obey obey obey....do what you're taught by leaders, because system is "proven! No fail! This is the only way to get to Millionaire's Team!") to put their daily cash collections into a Green Envelope (the Green Envelope money is supposedly their "salary" but by the time they pay for expenses like rent, electricity, water, office supplies etc on the Nut Club, they are only at break even or in the hole financially). Anyway, once a week, the Nutrition Club owner is instructed that they must always take 10 percent of the money out of the Green Envelope and transfer it to a Red Envelope, labelled "Increase". For the Nutrition Club Owner to succeed, they are taught that the money in the Red Envelope must be used to buy more products from Herbalife....

I thought, OMG....Tithing, Herba-style!!

Posted by: Tyler Durden ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 12:49AM

Herbalife shares rally 25% - biggest single-day gain in company history. Ackman disappoints once again.

Posted by: Investor For Life ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:26AM

Ackman got his butt kicked today.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:06AM

I think shorting is illegal in Australia and many countries. Where does the money come from to pay out if a company sh!ts itself?

Doesn't it encourage sabotage?

Posted by: zaphodbeeblebrox ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:22AM

Theoretically ...

Every Share Bought Short, has to be Matched by Another Buying Long ...

But, More Often than Not, The Company itself, MUST Make Good on Losses!

Date: July 23, 2014 01:29AM

I would never sell short. I prefer to sleep at night.

Date: July 23, 2014 10:15AM

A quick answer re ethics and the role of short selling in the market:

http://www.investopedia.com/university/shortselling/shortselling4.asp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2014 10:16AM by 2+2=4.

Date: July 23, 2014 10:21AM

The Nutrition Club "Interns/Trainees" are cleaning toilets for free. Sound familiar?

I think that this post is totally on-topic, myself.

Date: July 23, 2014 01:35AM

Anybody here heard of Choffy? It's a MLM run by a bunch or Mormons. It's a ground Cacao product that you brew like coffee. Like natural hot chocolate.
My brother in law is involved with it and does really well, but I really hope he doesn't get burned in the future if the business turns out to be shady.

How does MLM differ from Pyramid?

Why are Mormons so drawn to it?

Posted by: no mo lurker ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 10:37AM

A MLM and a Pyramid Scheme are the same thing. They came up with the name MLM to make it sound less like a pyramid scheme but there really is no difference.

Date: July 23, 2014 10:43AM

...here is the Choffy deal. Don't know if it's LDS owned.

http://choffy.com/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.