Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: oneflewwest ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 04:05PM

So last week at dinner FIL says the architect who designed the latest Ogden temple is in their stake so they set up a fireside for him to come share that "spiritual experience", of designing and building the temple, with all the youth in the stake.

Turns out fireside is cancelled because the Big 15 gave specific instructions when Mr Architect was first hired that he is not allowed to give any firesides regarding his experience. He thought he could get special permission to do just one for his home stake, but nope. This raises 2 issues for me.

1) Why would it be such a spiritual experience to design a temple that looks exactly like every other temple built in the past 15 years?

2) The Big 15 really are a bunch of killjoys! This finally they have something that might actually be interesting to talk about and they put a gag order on it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ferdchet ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 04:24PM

What's worse is that he gave in. That is ridiculous.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:52PM

Emil B. Fetzer would be far more interesting.

He was the dick who designed the first one. Also did every ugly fug pug building in TSCC.

COB
Seattle temple
Jordan river
Provo
Ogden
Sydney
Chile
Atlanta

He did do Washington, D.C. Which I have always liked, a fluke IMO.

Posted by: sunshine ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:09PM

Nobody gets idol worshipped unless its the Q15. Got that Mr architect?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:22PM

How odd. I have to wonder about their reasoning. I would think that it would interest the youth in the temple. He could talk about materials, design choices, building challenges, or any number of things.

My brother, during the course of his career, was a builder of large, public projects. I always enjoyed hearing his stories and anecdotes.

Posted by: Dawkins ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:30PM

In most services agreements there is a section regarding confidentiality of information. Standard corporate practice.

The section likely covered the fireside.

The TSCC likely didn't want to give an exception or approval because:

1) It wants to set a precedence of no exceptions to avoid the hassles of future approvals.
2) It doesn't want business practices revealed that might and usually are disclosed. These usually look uninspired.

Either way, TSCC is showing its corporate nature. TSCC always makes more sense when viewed through this lens.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:43PM

Okay, that makes sense...for a corporation. ;)

Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:38PM

Funny, I always sort of liked the original Ogden and Provo designs in a George Jetson eats a bunch of magical mushrooms sort of way. The new Ogden design is yet another uninteresting soulless mausoleum.

Posted by: Loins of Fire ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:58PM

It's secret, not sacred, err....wait a minute.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.