Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 04:54PM

The one I don't like is "Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel."

Never liked it even as a tyke when I thought it was a song honoring pioneers who had to push their wagon wheels out of mud holes and ruts as they journeyed across the plains to Utah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2014 05:08PM by Cheryl.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 04:55PM

Used to be one of my favorites, but I can no longer sing "Praise to the Man" - for obvious reasons.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:41PM

Agreed. I can't stand any song about Joseph Smith. I think these songs would be detestable even if Joe WAS a prophet, but to know my family sings these songs about a proven fraud makes my blood boil.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 07:01PM

exodus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Used to be one of my favorites, but I can no
> longer sing "Praise to the Man" - for obvious
> reasons.

Yeah, that one makes me really shudder now.

Posted by: loopyloo ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 07:30PM

This was my all time favorite when I was an eager convert at 15! Then some old fart slowed it down to funeral-durge tempo. I hate Praise to the man but it's the only song in the book sung to a lively beat!

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:01PM

Oh How Lovely was the Morning. Pure bullish*t!

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:04PM

Cheryl, you beat me to it. I was going to start a thread on this myself but I'm too late.

So here is the text of I was going to going to post anyway –

*Which hymn(s) do you dislike the most?*

Any set of criteria can be used – singing it, listening to it, cheesy words, the doctrine, etc.

"I Am a Child of God" has always been the absolute worst for me. Hate everything about it. It was on my shelf before I had ever heard the word, or knew what a shelf was.

"Choose the Right" sucks too; probably no coincidence that these two began as Primary songs.

And of course, the bootlicking "We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet." Screams hero worship and cult of personality. An exmo favorite.

Missionary songs are on my list as well, like "Called to Serve" and "We Are All Enlisted."

I haven’t forgotten "Ye Elders of Israel," either. In fact, I disliked that one so much that I wrote a parody of it about a third of the way into my mission (Feb-Mar 1981). [Vowels between "/ /" symbols are carried over two notes.]

Ye /e/lders of /I/srael, you're wasting your time
By knocking on doors where you're treated like slime
You're w/or/king your t/ai/ls off in snow and in sleet
And rarely are teaching the people you meet

[Chorus]
O Montreal, O Montreal, Province of Quebec
If you reject us, then you’ll all go to heck

The h/a/rvest is sm/a/ll and the winters are cold
"Ça m'interesse pas," seems to be all you're told
You're called upon to separate the wheat from the tares
You represent Jesus, but nobody cares

[Repeat Chorus]

You're set apart to tr/a/ct and compete with the Mass
But as you have seen, it's a pain in the grass
This work is making m/y/ stomach feel like a stone
Oh please, President, would you transfer me home?

[Repeat Chorus]

Of course, if an elder does something like that today, he gets hauled into the MP's office for a good reaming. But nothing ever happened to me over this. It was no secret, either; by the time I went home in June 1982, even the AP's knew full well that I was its author.

Date: July 21, 2014 05:47PM

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 07:20PM

I agree, "We Thank Thee O God for a Prophet" makes the church sound like a cult that worships the leader and not Christ as they claim. If you've seen that Lifetime movie about Warren Jeffs, there's a scene in the beginning when the FLDS cult sings that same hymn.

Another thing I've hated was how the Morg changed some lyrics of favorite songs to suit them, such as in "Joy to the World." The original line is "and heaven and nature sing" which to me fits the music better than the Morg version. Other hymns are sung like funeral dirges, including "Battle Hymn of the Republic" which isn't always sung like a dirge, but as an uplifting piece of music.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 07:43PM

The morg even changed the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:04PM

I am a child of god.

I hated it as a kid, as a youth, as a young adult, as a mishie, as an rm, as a TBM, and I hate it as an exmo.

It's a funeral dirge.

And it always just sounds "off".

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:10PM

Shall the youth of zion falter?

Posted by: shareesus ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:12PM

"A Child's Prayer" The Primary song. Always hated that song.

It's like the girl side is all confused and looking for reassurance, then the male side comes in and comforts and soothes.

Bunch of bull. It just fuels the hopeless woman syndrome that TSCC loves to promote.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:15PM

I Am A Child Of God makes my skin crawl, or as I call it, Get'em While They're Young.

Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:25PM

Date: July 21, 2014 06:20PM

My brother, the ex-polygamous, now mainstream morgbot would love to be in this group. He did this kind of entertainment in his younger days. Perhaps he's back at it. We don't talk these days.

Posted by: whattookmesolong ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:38PM

All of them! They bring back so many negative memories that I can't stand any hymn any more.

Posted by: anonymousgirly ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:42PM

So many primary songs that sound like commercials:
Families can be together forever
Follow the prophet
And almost any new song published in the Friend.

Posted by: safetynotguaranteed ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:03PM

Welcome, welcome, Sabbath morning
I am a child of God
Families Can Be Together Forever
Called To Serve (which I used to love!)

Put Your Shoulder To The Wheel, I also hate -- though once someone I know was giving a talk and half way through she stopped and made us sing the whole thing. I think it was mostly a relevant song but I suspect her talk was running a bit short ;)

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:06PM

I despise Love at home.

There's also a sacrament song I don't recall the name, but it sounds like a funeral dirge. It's the dreariest song ever.

Just remembered, It's called something like Reverently and meekly now.

It's a gruesome song. Lyrics that talk about blood dripping like rain.....I an only imagine what would go through a young childs mind when the hear the lyrics to that song. It's horrid. It drags on and on very slow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2014 06:25PM by madalice.

Date: July 21, 2014 06:21PM

Posted by: scmdonanother computer ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:29PM

Not to be contentious, but devoting more than one note to a syllable in a hymns doesn't, in and of itself, make it bad in my opinon, although it obviously does in the opinion of others.

When Charles Wesley wrote the words to "Christ the Lord Is Risen Today" and put them to the hymn tune 'Lyrica Davidica," many of the purists of the time found the hymn almost scandalous in its number of tones devoted to syllables, particularly in the alleluias.

I, too hate "Put your Shoulder to the Wheel," but I also despise "Do what Is Right." That's probably the one I would rip out of every hymnal if I had the access.

Date: July 21, 2014 06:36PM

contentious?

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:50PM

Were you referring to my post above?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:33PM

Most of them...but I did like singing "The Spirit of God Like a Fire is Burning" when I sang in the ward choir as a teen ('cause I used to like singing)....and a few others just for the melody....the words are/were meaningless.

Ron Burr

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 06:59PM

Book of Mormon Stories

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 07:31PM

I've grown to really dislike "I Stand All Amazed."

Singing about it being wonderful that someone has suffered and died for you.

I think it even bothered me when I was still Mormon. I remember thinking in my head, "Yeah, well, who asked you to do that for me. I don't need that kind of guilt-trip, thank you very much."

Posted by: austrobrit ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 07:32PM

"Let us all press on" was always a bit too jazz hands for me.

When I had to pump out the tune on the bontempi I used to drift into "It's a small world after all" flourishes and no-one noticed.

Posted by: safetynotguaranteed ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 07:58PM

This made me laugh :)

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 07:35PM

"Follow the Prophet"
Creeps me out when I hear little kids sing it.

I was a convert and went to YSA wards up until I was married... A couple months after going to the family ward they had a "Primary Program" and it freaked me out...

Even as a TBM I told my wife at the time that I forbid any children we might have from participating in that kind of program... Even in my Mormon addled brain it seemed wrong.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 07:36PM

At the time I was active I felt strange whenever "Praise to the Man" was sung. I sang in the choir and did so at the Dallas temple dedication. There were songs that I recognized the music from when I sang in the choir in the Episcopal Church prior to converting. The LDS borrowed the music of many English hymns; the lyrics were changed to reflect Mormon propaganda.

I now sing anew in an Anglo-Catholic church. The hymns and liturgical music we sing I find to be a much sweeter sound.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 08:01PM

Praise to the Man
We Thank Thee, O God For A Prophet
Book of Mormon Stories
I Love to See the Temple
I Am A Child of God
Families Can Be Together Foever
If You Could Hie to Kolob (love the tune, hate the words)
O My Father

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.