Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: german lurker ( )
Date: July 21, 2014 05:49PM

hikergrl wrote:
"1994 Catechism of the Catholic Church explains:

By calling God "Father," the language of faith indicates two main things: that God is the first origin of everything and transcendent authority; and that he is at the same time goodness and loving care for all his children. God's parental tenderness can also be expressed by the image of motherhood, which emphasizes God's immanence, the intimacy between Creator and creature. ... We ought therefore to recall that God transcends the human distinction between the sexes. He is neither man nor woman; he is God. He also transcends human fatherhood and motherhood, although he is their origin and standard."

and again my question: why not "She is neither woman nor man, she is God. She also transcends human motherhood and fatherhood, although she is their origin and standard."? and so on ... ;-)

i didn't talk about a neutral 'it'.

but let's find a compromise ;-) with the 'uncompromising' mary daly:

"Why indeed must "God" be a noun? Why not a verb—the most active and dynamic of all."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lilith ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 02:55PM

Yes. Love makes more sense as a verb as well. Like God we have trouble defining it, but the action of loving we understand. We might better know godding when we see it too.

The other way to change this is to use She and He interchangeably and I don't hear the Catholic Chhurch doing this.

In the catechism children still hear HE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.