Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 02:28PM

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormonism-101#C3

I wish I had the skills! But sadly I do not... I will however promise to laugh loudly at anyone else's comic genius! ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2012 02:34PM by spaghetti oh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 02:30PM

what an immense load of crap we were about to see.

I feel like I need to take a shower now...

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 02:35PM

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 07:58PM

helamonster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what an immense load of crap we were about to
> see.
>
> I feel like I need to take a shower now...

Do you mean an ultra INTESNE cleaning shower. Or better yet, TSCC needs one helluva colonoscopy?

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 03:21PM

So much bullshit, so little time.

Let's start with the "fourth largest" claim. According to the Pew study which is referenced at the bottom of the infographic, this is true - with the caveat, of course, that the three larger groups are divided in the study as "Catholicism", "Protestantism" (which is used as an umbrella term for basically any Christian faith that isn't Catholic - Evangelicals, Methodists, Baptists, etc.), and "Other". The Pew report doesn't even acknowledge Mormonism as falling under the Protestant badge - it's completely autonomous.

How about the claim about Mormons being among the "most knowledgeable" about religion? The clue to where they got this statistic is in the graphic itself. See the religious symbols there? What groups were Mormons compared to for this? Against other Christians that use the Bible as a holy book? Or against Jews, Christians, and Hindus? Also, I loved how they used impressive percentages and numbers with their other supposed claims (77% attendance AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK? Complete bullshit), but with this claim it was just "among the most knowledgeable." Well, sure. The person with the lowest possible score is "among the most knowledgeable" if you widen the parameters enough.

Who wants to tackle the next claim?

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 03:57PM

It looks like crap, has an impossible format and it's the third of fourth "infographic" they've put out.

Reminds me of an "infographic" of the food guide pyramid from the sixties that used to adorn some forgotten corner of my grandma's attic.

Really, what a bunch of rank amateurs at the LDS PR-department.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 04:30PM

Specifically here:

"81% say being a good parent is among their top goals in life compared to 50% of the general public."

And here:

"73% list a successful marriage as a top priority, compared to 34 % of the public."

Really. REALLY?!? I don't believe this for one flippin' minute. Being a good parent and having a successful marriage (for those who have children and/or are married) is always a top goddamn priority.

Why must they always denigrate others in order to make themselves look better?

Ass clowns.

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 05:58PM

real PR companies much of the time....but sometimes they just can't help themselves.

Funny stuff. 100% of the time spent on CJ? I guess no one talks about their vacations and operations in Fast and Testimonkey meeting anymore....seems like that used to take up a fair bit of time each month.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 06:37PM

100%?

Because we say opening and closing prayers that include the words "Jesus Christ" in them? Because we have the sacrament (which also produces a couple of mentions)? Because of the sacrament hymn, which may or may not mention him directly? The three talks mention him also in closing, as do testimonies, but does that qualify for the claim that meetings are 100% focused on Jesus?

Give me a break--I've attended regional conferences (I guess that changes the specific statistic--they didn't mention those) close to Easter that didn't have a lesson on the Atonement--they focused on tithing, for Pete's sake. That was a puzzler. Most talks these days are re-hashes of General Conference talks, which certainly don't always center on Jesus Christ.

What definition do you have of 100%?

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 07:21PM

That's my big beef with Mormons: they claim they're Christian, but they're not.
If scientology can survive on their load of crap, Mormonism can too.
So, why lie about? Just say "Hey! We're the original crazy space cult!" And call it a day.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 06:02PM

I went in steeled for the worst, and I still feel ill. Gag gag gag.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 07:07PM

OMFG... :facepalm: All it is is bullshit & more bullshit. It's what LDS, Inc., wants the outside world to believe, because it's what many members think of themselves, & not the truth.

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 07:09PM

Posted by: tbrown9163 ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 07:16PM

Actually, I'm glad this is out there. I say let them fantasize. It only serves to turn everybody else off.

As a ward clerk, I know we struggled to get 40% attendance, and probably about 30% we didn't even know lived in our ward area still (or were even alive as we often discovered many were not).

As Mark Twain said, there are three types of lies: lies, damn lies and statistics.

My guess is as the hot air bag is deflating...and it is, in terms of activity certainly where I live, there will be a lot more of this sort of stuff from the most desperate.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: March 09, 2012 07:27PM

"77% of members attend church at least weekly"

Complete and utter bollocks!!!

I notice amongst the sources: "Internal statistics of TCOJCOLDS" and assume this one comes from that most reliable of sources.

Based on their own figures quoted here, each of the 28,660 congregations worldwide has a typical sacrament attendance of 380. Does that sound reasonable to anybody here?

Posted by: Isthisnameok? ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 01:00PM

Big whoop - the entire LDS Church records indicate they have 14 Million people living in 185 countries. The population of the US is 313,155,277. Even if every Mormon lived in the US they still wouldn't be that significant. Besides, as we all know, those are dunk and send numbers, and I have my doubts that the Church really takes you off of their official roles when you resign... or die

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 10, 2012 01:52PM

What a load of bulls&*t. Seriously - 100 percent of the worship service dedicated to Christ? I don't even HEAR him talked about in the average Sacrament meeting. It's all Joseph Smith, Tithing, Food Storage etc.

And why don't they realize how insulting they are with their stats about the importance of family and marriage? If I were a non-Mormon, I'd be offended reading that. How dare they say they care more about family than I do?

Finally, most of these stats only possibly apply to active members. They fail to factor in that 65-70 percent of those on their roles don't attend and don't believe AT ALL. To say 9 out of 10 families give their children religious education when only 6 out of 10 families don't even consider themselves LDS is ludicrous. If they were just factoring this on active members, that would be one thing but they wouldn't be able to claim they are the 4th largest denomination in the US. Because right off the top, their membership rolls would drop off more than half.

Their charitable giving is all about giving to the church or volunteering at the church. It's all about what the members do for Mormonism, not for their fellow man.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.