Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shiningwaters ( )
Date: July 22, 2014 10:59PM

I always wanted to know. After you left Mormonism did a lot of people you know follow and resign also?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azisbest ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 12:36AM

I am new here so please forgive a couple of, probably idiotic, questions. Is the Steve Benson in the title the political cartoonist for the Arizona Republic? And can anyone ask him a question?

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 12:39AM

Yes, Steve Benson is the cartoonist.
You can ask him a question. It is up to him whether or not he answers.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 12:43AM

You can ask Steve anything you want but he may choose not to answer. Steve has posted on a lot of topics, you might try a search and see if he has already posted on your topic.

I don't believe people left the church simply because Steve did. Steve has written why he left. I think Steve and others have encouraged others to read what the truth really is and to follow what is right. TSCC preaches faith promoting stories not truthful stories.

Date: July 23, 2014 12:59AM

Great! I have a question for Steve. Was the Evan Mecham administration your favorite era in your political cartooning career? Wow, you had some great ones! One in particular was a favorite. It had Evan holding a raygun after having shot a hole in the hairdo of Rose Mofford while referencing Star Wars. Anyway this has nothing to do with Mormonism but Steve is a talent with integrity. Kudos.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 02:42PM

In fact, Mecham was such a buffoon that doing cartoons on him was an exercise in redundancy.

Date: August 10, 2014 10:44PM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In fact, Mecham was such a buffoon that doing
> cartoons on him was an exercise in redundancy.

You were an important part of a wild era in Arizona history Steve. I think your work helped to galvanize those against the idiocy that was the Mecham administration. As a fourth generation Arizonan (Mormon pioneer stock here) I thank you.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 01:30AM

I loved the Mecham cartoons, too. Back then, I was still in middle school. I developed a love for following politics that still has not left me. I'm not sure where Mr Benson was vis à vis his relationship to the church then, but I remember one highly memorable one. It had Mecham holding the 'Book of Moron'. He had rats for angels. Out of his mouth, Mecham was saying 'I told you sinners I'd be back'.

Arizona politics remains something of a joke. Arizona politicians have provided ample fodder for Mr Benson and not just Ev Mecham. Mecham was pure comedy gold.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 04:52AM

Steve, do you take one, two or no sugars in your Barely Cup?

Date: August 04, 2014 02:49PM

I know the whipped cream basically negates the sugar-free thing, but it makes me feel better. :)

Posted by: shiningwaters ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 02:47PM

I have a hard time figuring out how to search for the stories people have after leaving the church. I wish there was a search button.

Thanks for those who answered :)

Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 05:06PM

At the top and bottom of the RfM forum screen are buttons. Choose the Forum List one, then when that loads, choose the Exmo Bios forum for exit stories.

Date: August 04, 2014 02:39PM

I suspect that some may have been encouraged to leave after becoming aware of the detailed reasons for my own departure, but I don't have specific numbers on that. If some did leave LDS Inc. because of my insider accounts, experiences and observations, I tend to think that that may have been because my personal experiences simply reinforced their own growing doubts about the lack of veracity concerning Mormonism's ever-changing and forever-tainted versions of doctrine, history and moral legitimacy.

When people are ready to leave the Mormon Cult, any number of influences may help spur them forward to effectuate their escape.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2014 02:54PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Reality Check ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 10:39AM

Steve,

Your analysis makes an awful lot of sense. People who leave TSCC may be partly influenced by others, but the more likely reason is that they already have serious issues with LDS Inc. that they are struggling with. Your departure is just one more item on their shelf that they have to consider.

BTW, I was a student at BYU at the same time as you and Pat Bagley in the late 1970s. I still have my copy of your collection of cartoons, "I Am Appalled." I still enjoy looking at it! Good stuff!

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: August 11, 2014 09:21AM

We in Toronto need your cartoons as we hope to unseat Rob Ford.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.