Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: boydslittlefactory ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 06:52PM

I have heard some believers say that they accept the big bang theory, but it must have been God that "lit the fuse".

Others say that the big bang likely happened, but God was killed by the explosion.

Personally I lean towards the idea that while God may have lit the fuse the resulting explosion must have scrambled his brains and he has been completely out of his mind ever since. I think this scenario best explains all the different religions and their associated crazy beliefs (especially Mormonism).

What do you guys think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: doubtnot ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 07:07PM

it's just as possible as anything else. The members of the church like to say that if the Book of Mormon is true then Joseph Smith is a prophet, then all of the presidents of the church after him were prophets, then TSM is a prophet, then whatever he says is true. But that is a lot of weight to put on each link of that chain. Suppose the Book of Mormon were proven historical (it isn't and won't be) It is still just as likely that a crazy God can't make up his mind and is creating a whole mess of different religions, as it is likely that there is a loving god who wants us all to become eternal procreators, and live in happiness with our posterity in heaven. Or maybe a clever God wants to test the strength of our moral compass by giving deceptively overwhelming evidence that a racist book is true. Maybe that is the test. Or maybe the test of life is to see if you can listen to someone tell a story and have a good feeling and then to believe it no matter what and no matter how much you or anyone suffers, because the guy who told the story says that they deserve to suffer because of what they did in the past life, and if they suffer undeservingly it will be made up to them in the next life, and it is perfectly clear that there is a next life.

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 23, 2014 07:08PM

So about 13 billion years ago (give or take a few 100 million here or there) the known universe was about the size of a golf ball. Then something happened and it EXPANDED in such a way that scientists can't really explain it with words, so it's referred to as the "Big Bang."

The Ancient Hebrews didn't have words either, so they said it in story--"In the beginning..."

An apt metaphor for "creatio ex nihio" (created out of nothing) is that God "spoke" the universe into existence.

This way of thinking means that God is not in the universe, not living near the planet Kolob, and is not a material being. And, unlike what is in the temple ceremony, the gods did not organize existing matter.

As a Christian, I believe that my Taoist sisters and brothers express this perfectly: "The Tao that can be spoken of is not the true Tao."

If there is a God, and I believe there is, I don't think we have the words, concepts, or images that capture the true
God.

Then again, I could be wrong, happens a lot!

The Boner

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.