Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lorenzo's Ho ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 03:49PM

We made the mistake of telling family we had our names removed. I recently posted about my Dad hearing word that we left tscc. He had written me a long letter about how wrong and delusional we are to leave, and he hopes it's not true. (Your'e going to Hell, you'll have a miserable life, blah blah blah!)

I am holding strong and not responding. He lives in a different state, putting distance between us making it easier to not have to respond.

Today, I open a pkg from him and 'lo and behold is the book "Why would anyone join the Mormon Church" church literature.

So I'm thinking, just lie and say we haven't actually removed our names. This would probably work because my family is gullible and will believe what they want to believe. Then they will shut up about it all. But would they be able to find out the truth by calling records? Or whoever it is they call for that info.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lurker From Beyond ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 03:55PM

If it were me, I'd decline to live a lie just to please my parents.

Not responding is the better course of action, I'd say.

Date: July 24, 2014 04:01PM

I agree.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 04:02PM

Let us know how this goes.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 04:16PM

Post back the ces letter with a note saying ill read yours once you've read this.

Date: July 24, 2014 05:57PM

I've posted CES to other family members heckling us but seems like they always have a response. They haven't challenged it but they defer from it in their response, grasping onto some other point that is useless. They just don't seem to want to accept even the possibility of truth in that evidence or they defend it still beyond all reasonable doubt. :(

Posted by: onlinemoniker ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 04:50PM

Just ignore it. He doesn't even ask you a question, just sends the book.

You can ignore EVERYTHING when they don't ask a question and much when they do.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 24, 2014 04:56PM

I didn't think of this when I read your post the other day. My therapist told me to ignore my family member's tantrums. That at first they would escalate and then they would die down. He was correct. He said if you respond to your parent's tantrums, you are being a bad child. I had never thought of it that way.

Your dad is throwing a tantrum.

I found the more I ignored the tantrums, the stronger I became. And I actually ended up having a better relationship with the family member that I had before.

Date: July 24, 2014 05:49PM

Thx for sharing. That makes sense. I do feel stronger when I ignore their tantrums.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.