Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 13, 2012 01:13AM

When you watch ads for Mormobism or even peruse through Mormon publications like the Ensign, you see a lot of diverse Mormons - Mormons from all races and ethnicities.

But if you only watched conference (where everyone in charge gets to talk) - you'd swear that Mormons were all white with one Japanaese dude and one black lady singer.

Why is that???

Hmmmmmmmm.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 13, 2012 01:40AM

The diversity is for the nonmormon public which does see or even know about general conference.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: April 13, 2012 02:37AM

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: April 14, 2012 12:23AM

Posted by: drjekyll ( )
Date: April 14, 2012 05:23AM

because we know they're all nuts inside! hehehe

Posted by: somewhere ( )
Date: April 13, 2012 07:26AM

The media campaign has been carefully orchestrated. They always have been. I remember watching Mr. Krueger's Christmas many years ago. When Jimmy Stewart was conducting the choir, the filmmakers methodically panned and zoomed down on the black male's hands (the only one I think) to show that they're a diverse bunch of folks. I always chuckle when I see it because it's so deliberate. When you look out and see a cross section of the choir or general conference attendees, I certainly don't see the diversity of people presented in the "I'm A Mormon" commercials. Go to any ward building on any given Sunday, and you won't see the diversity either.

Marketing is a fine art and with the right amount of funds, money can buy anything in this world. It attempts to sway perception and is often successful. The truth, however, will not be swayed and the church cannot hide or brush away their past and current policies. The LDS church is always seeking to change their image although the reality will not change.

Thanks goodness for sites like this that expose the truth.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: April 14, 2012 12:28AM

Based upon the recent Pew study that shows a dramatic drop in black membership, I calculate that every single active black member has been called upon to appear in an "I'm a Mormon" video. Going forward, they way well need to start hiring actors.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 14, 2012 01:18AM

I lived in Salt Lake when the Katrina victims were arriving. One day a black woman was in line with me at Harmons. I told her I was from Northern California and how did she like living in white bread land. She told me how she had only even SEEN a handful of black people since she has been there. She hated how everyone stared at her every where she went because she was always the only one.

It freaked out her little girl, she said, who kept wanting to go back to a "normal" place, meaning diverse-predominantly-black.

The worst part, she said, was the fake smiling by people who were obviously uncomfortable around her and her child.

I asked her if she meant Mormons. She said yes.

Anagrammy

Posted by: RG001 ( )
Date: April 14, 2012 01:23AM

As a Mormon with hair below my shoulders and fond of wearing motorcycle leathers, I doubt they'll call me to be in an ad even though I might be considered "diverse."

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 14, 2012 08:05AM

I just realized who that is that pops up in mormon media-
It's Token! You know, from SouthPark.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 14, 2012 10:32AM

Something that has always bothered me. There has been a huge Mormon Polynesian community since the days they still practiced polygamy. Mormonism is huge on some of those islands. There were a ton of poly elders and sisters on my mission in California, and you see them all the time in other missions.

Why has there never been a Poly on the Big 15? For that matter, why are they not better represented among the seventies?

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: April 14, 2012 10:43AM

They had a Polynesian man and a black women on seperate bill boards on I-15 advertising their radio station a year or so ago. That should hold them off from wanting any of the big jobs, right?

(When we first saw those signs, nevermo DH said "Hey, where'd they get those non-white people for their Mormon sign?)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2012 10:44AM by foggy.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 14, 2012 10:53AM

The "Worship with Us" page at Mormon.org is very off-putting to this nevermo. It's not the ethnic makeup of the group which is bothersome, it's how they are dressed. The six men in the photo are wearing nothing but white shirts and ties which looks strange. That photo tells a great deal about the Mormon church's lack of tolerance for differences.

http://mormon.org/worship/

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: April 14, 2012 11:41AM

Worship? When did Mormons start using that word? I never heard that when I was in the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.