Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pathway ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 05:14PM

Just received an invite to another "million mormons" facebook group. The intent is below:

"my goal is to have 1,000,000 different LDS people on August 11th 2014 post their testimony of the temples on Facebook for the world to see. I know that if we can get 1,000,000 people to do this that one soul might come closer to Jesus Christ, who this is really all about. (in your testimonies connect temples to Him!) Please include a photo of you and/or your family at the temple as well as a description of how the temple has changed your life!"

I am already dreading how annoying that day will be on facebook. I will take a FB sabbatical that day as well as the day after. But once again...I would be willing to bet that they get no where near 1 million unique people to testify on FB.

Also, it would be kind of fun to have an effort going to counter all those testimonies...like pictures of temples with their cost, or pictures of temples next to some poverty...or a picture of the city creek mall next to the temple....whatever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 05:26PM

Do they know how this is perceived by non-mos? The mention of "Temple" brings impressions of Buddhism or something related to ancient Judaism or the Masons. Next in the mind comes the association of Mormonism with polygamy. I don't think they can overcome the existing preconceptions. Give it up!

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 05:28PM

"my goal is to have 1,000,000 different LDS people on August 11th 2014 post their testimony of the temples on Facebook for the world to see."

Rather than do so, I would suffer my life to be taken:)

Posted by: Pathway ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 05:32PM

michaelm (not logged in) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "my goal is to have 1,000,000 different LDS people
> on August 11th 2014 post their testimony of the
> temples on Facebook for the world to see."
>
> Rather than do so, I would suffer my life to be
> taken:)

ROFLMAO.... +1000

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 05:39PM

My testimony of the temple: Creepy.

What if people posted what they really thought of the temple??!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2014 05:55PM by shakinthedust.

Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 10:15PM

That's what I thought of it - c r e e p y

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 10:27PM

I think my experience would be...

"The Mormon temple is the first and only place I have been required to pretend to kill myself. I would do this three times in one session. I found this neither insightful or sacred. It is during this experience that I came to realize Mormon parents are raising their children in a cult."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2014 10:28PM by gentlestrength.

Posted by: Exdrymo ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 05:45PM

But wait. I thought it was too sacred to talk about...

Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 03:06PM

Exdrymo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But wait. I thought it was too sacred to talk
> about...

It's going to be generic statements like, "The Temple is so wonderful." Or talk about saving the souls of loved ones or forever families. No one is going to say, "I love the bakers hat and green apron, they also come in handy when you bake a cake."

Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 05:51PM

Considering the flop that "Flood Facebook with your testimony of the Book of Mormon" turned out to be, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 05:52PM

I really love this! Each time LD$ inc tries to control the internet, it backfires. All someone not familiar with the MORG has to do is google Mormon temple...mormons are about the only one who do not know what goes on in the temple.

The Boner!

Posted by: Yup ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 09:07PM

Good point! Non-Mormons who are curious will easily find the "You TUBE" video of the actual thing, and die laughing.

Using the Internet to talk about the temple is a stupid idea, because it leads others to use the Internet to find out about the temple.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 06:06PM

It sounds like yet another flop in the works. Much like their so called "flood on the book of Mormon" earlier this week!

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 06:22PM

There are already some liberal Facebook pages (Being Liberal, et al) who have posted a picture of the SLC Temple next to starving kids in Africa as a . . . "you call yourselves 'Christian'" type thing. It was a meme that was copied with the Mega Churches as well.

I doubt it will go too far, either.

Date: July 29, 2014 11:20AM

I've actually seen some FB friends post pictures (both personal and "shared") with memes on it. As well as temple quotes (don't remember from whom). These friends already post a lot of LDS stuff, so nothing different from the usual.

Date: July 29, 2014 11:22AM

Here's one form BKP:
"There are many reasons one should want to come to the temple. Even it's external appearance seems to hint of it's deeply spiritual purposes. This is much more evident within it's walls. Over the door to the temple appears the tribute, "Holiness to the Lord." When you enter any dedicated temple, you are in the house of the Lord."

Posted by: holytheghost ( )
Date: July 25, 2014 07:14PM

I doubt there are even enought temple recommend holders. How many active members? 4 million? How many of those are adults? Generously, 2 million? How many active adults currently hold recommends? Generously half again? 1 million? Of those how many are on Facebook? Half again? And most of those are married to each other, so probably wouldn't't both post. That's now down to a 1/4 million people by my rough but generous calculations.
The only way to get a million people to share testimonies of the temple is if he can convince children and non-endowed adults to share, but it becomes rather empty and meaningless if the testimony sharers know nothing about the thing of which they testify.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 01:31PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1335201
Looks like another group is having trouble simply GETTING 1 million members, let alone getting them to post about something as creepy as the temple.
On another note, how many mormons are there actually? And how many of those have temple recommends? And how many of them have facebook? This isn't going to get any steam.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 06:36PM

And how many of those would post a temple testimony anyway? How many TR holders (on facebook) even give a rap?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 01:42PM

My thoughts: They can barely get a couple hundred Mormons to do things like this so there is nothing to fear. For every Mormon that posts their testimony of the temple, they probably have at least 5 friends who could bear an un-testimony, a few more who could care less and the rest of the friends list probably already agrees with them. So it's a pointless effort.

Also, with only about 4-5 million active members worldwide, a number of them being children under age 18, why do they think there are 1 million Mormons on FB that have a testimony of the temple? How many members worldwide even have temple recommends? They can't all be on FB. One family in our old ward was decidedly anti-FB and they have 4 temple recommend holders, including parents and RM children.

This will be a bust on so many levels, like all the other movements.

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 02:19PM

I think it's hilarious when TBMs post crap like this on FB. It makes them look so weird and Jesus-freaky. The outside world does not admire them for being so faithful and righteous; nonmembers just think they're a little bit nutso.

I have a very religious cousin (nomo) who posts religious sayings and scriptures regularly, and is constantly saying things like "we're so blessed because XYZ" or professing her love for her lord and savior Jesus Christ. I just roll my eyes and skip all those posts. I imagine that's what most sane, level headed people do when they see culty TBM posts.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 02:32PM

Non Mormons have no idea of the stupidity of the temple----if you tell them the purpose of the temple is to baptize and do secret handshake Masonic initiations for the dead, they think you are joking and laugh. Well first you do the secret handshake Masonic initiation for yourself, but the repeat business is for the dead.

So, explain to a non-Mormon that you spend hours and hours doing this repeatedly for random dead people and you get a wonderful expression of incomprehension followed by a look of wariness when, like a light bulb in a cartoon, the word "CULT" floats appears over the head.

Go on, you stupid mobots, tell the world how dumb you are by wasting your time in the Joe the Ho's Temple of Ridiculousness.

Mormon = irrelevant and impotent

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: July 28, 2014 10:21PM

This is why I take advantage of FB's filters. I never see these posts--I think these calls to action are more for each other.

I agree about just checking youtube. No amount of testimony is going to erase my image of mormons in bakers hats and little outfits, handshakes, chanting... all to get to a hotel lobby.

Everytime I glimpse someone's mormon underwear, I immediately imagine them in this outfit and wonder what people think as they're wearing them.

Posted by: 2+2=4 ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 02:51PM

The whole point of X'ity is you don't need a temple, don't need to pay the money changers. The point is to be inclusive of all people, not to exclude, to do personal inner reflection, inner work, and inner change as opposed to overemphasis on superstitious ritual ceremony which is superficial etc. etc.

Temples are the antithesis of X'ity IMO.

Posted by: BoMSkeptic ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 02:59PM

My testomony of the temple:

"Off with your head!"

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 06:55PM

I should post a picture of my siblings and other family members waiting outside the temple on my wedding day. And caption it with "The temple is where families can be together...oh wait."

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 07:16PM

1976?

Then the title of this talk would have been:

"To Young White Men Only."

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 01:54AM

THEY KNOW BETTER THAN TO "FLOOD" ANYTHING ON MY PAGE!!!

We respect and care about each other - so we give each other space about the religion issue. Agree to disagree, if you will.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 11:16AM

Since I saw NOTHING from the testimonies of B of M on Fb. I doubt I will see this either.

Posted by: No_Hidden_Agenda ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 11:32AM

Post an image of someone miming a throat slit.

Exmormons will know you're referencing the penalties. Your informed Mormon relatives that know you're out may know (and they may call you out in the comments, making the church look bad and accidentally informing the less educated Mormons). Your uninformed Mormon relatives will think you're suggesting they "kill" or stop the conversation because you're annoyed.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 11:37AM

I like these because, as annoying as they are, it is like having people post a message to my feed saying "unfriend me". Makes it easy to clear out the garbage.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.