Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 10:17AM

I quit attending TSCC when the YM president and the bishop refused to honor my demands that they do not interview my boys without me there. I realized then was my sons mental health was more important to me. About that same time I realized all of the teachings of the lds church were false and I had been lied to my whole life.

What I dislike so much about the lds religion is how BORING it is. The meetings are boring. The lifestyle is boring. Everything about it is boring. I could not stay awake during any kind of lds meeting because they are all so boring. It has to be the most boring religion on the face of the earth. I simply dislike everything about it.

I do not care that Joseph Smith had sex with teenage girls or married women. I do not care the Book of Mormon is fake. I do not care the church is/was racist. I do not care about their stupid beliefs like wearing magic underwear will protect you or olive oil will heal you. What I care about is how much I really and truly dislike their services and the way they treat each other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2014 10:17AM by themaster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 10:41AM

Well said, and I so agree about with you about disliking how the people treat each other and how boring the services are.

After I had been married in the temple, and attempted to start attending regularly, I was hit by how the whole social deal worked in the ward. I felt that cliques existed big time, that I did not possess the right last name or know the right people in the ward to mesh with these people.

It really was a rude awakening for me as I had attended the cult up until I married with my friends and never saw this side of the fence. And, I did not like it.

I noticed right away that the leadership positions were all held by people who belonged to their little group. Nursery, and scouts, and young primary classes were not positions they wanted and so they did not hold them.

I grew to realize that I had been very naive and taken by the sales pitch of the church. I had married in the temple because I thought the Mormon church could fill some of the void I had experienced growing up in an alcoholic family. The emphasis on family and love I thought was a true emphasis on the part of the cult, was one big hoax.

The LD$ Cult was a community group that existed to benefit those who "belonged" in the community....mainly by birth, but sometimes by adoption. The rest of us, well we were their peons, their servants.

My husband at this time was asking all sorts of questions, mainly about the lies and deceptions perpetuated by the cult. It did not take us too long before we were both out the mormon cult door forever.

Thank God!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 10:44AM

The way they treat each other is even worse. While at the same time that they have an "us against the world" sort of mentality, no one treats them worse than their own people.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 11:44AM

"Not only does a mass movement depict the present as mean and miserable - it deliberately makes it so. It fashions a pattern of individual existence that is dour, hard, repressive and dull. It decries pleasures and comforts and extols the rigorous life. It views ordinary enjoyment as trivial or even discreditable, and represents the pursuit of personal happiness as immoral. To enjoy oneself is to have truck with the enemy-the present."
The True Believer: Thoughts on the Nature of Mass Movements by Eric Hoffer

If you haven't read this book, I recommend it. It was recommended to me by Makurosu. :)

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: July 31, 2014 07:57PM

And it is so true when applied to the Mormons. It's all about the next life and just getting through this one. Endure to the end and all that.

And yet this life is the only one we're guaranteed and it is brief. Enjoy it while you can!

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: July 31, 2014 07:59PM

They call the world lone and dreary, and then ensure the believers lives are lone and dreary.
This is so true Itz!

This is definitely part of why I left, I found better ideals in true fiction rather than their stupid biblical fan fiction, and then determined I must get out in "the world" and find it, make it, for myself.
I didn't want what they promised!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 12:39PM

themaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do not care that Joseph Smith had sex with
> teenage girls or married women.

I do. It was the catalyst to my leaving. Their founder was a bad man and a religious con artist. I hate this fact.

> I do not care the
> Book of Mormon is fake.

I do. I loved it growing up and now when I read it I realize it is Bible fan fiction with sermons. I idealized heroes in it to make up for poor example of adult and especially adult men when I was growing up. I realize as an adult that is abusive to teach this book if historical and those characters were really human and had angels appear to them, Jesus visit them, and God super involved in their fictional lives.

> I do not care the church
> is/was racist.

I sure as F()ck care about this. It is the sure sign of the abusive and dangerous nature of LDS Inc. and how a racist corporation is masquerading as a religious non-profit.

It is like the KKK Lite but with a Fortune500 influence.

> I do not care about their stupid
> beliefs like wearing magic underwear will protect
> you or olive oil will heal you.

I do. People I love think that oil and underwear are their first line on defense on doing what they consider right-eous. It is a terrible ethic to attack the uncertainties of life with oil and underwear instead of critical understanding of what is going on in your life.

> What I care about
> is how much I really and truly dislike their
> services and the way they treat each other.

I don't like their services but many Mormons I've interacted through my wife and kids are nice people and treat my family nicely as well as me the guy who tells them that it is something he doesn't believe and will not support personally.

The asshats are there as well. They just learn quickly how I'm to be avoided if they want their testimony to stay intact and they don't want the wrath of other Mormons who like me.

This is the hardest part about my life with Mormons. The minority who are decent and fun people who are supporting a racist and hateful organization.

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 03:49PM

Fucking right on! The Boner

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: July 31, 2014 07:52PM

+1

Posted by: sassypants ( )
Date: July 31, 2014 10:57PM

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 02:42PM

You said it - BORING.
Cultish and CLICKISH.
Backstabbing and backpeddling.
US against THEM - Christlike? No!

If a bishop wants to meet with the kids alone, something is suspicious. He should be open - not afraid. He has no power. He is tripping. People can maintain power and dignity by insisting on openness.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 02:51PM

Agreed!

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 02:50PM

Amen! Couldn't of said it better! Took my thoughts and spelled it out.

Posted by: amyslittlesister ( )
Date: July 26, 2014 05:28PM

If asked, I say, "I gave up the Mormon Church because it's so hard on its members."

I like to say that to TBMs. They almost always agree . . .

But "KKK Lite with Fortune 500 Sensibilities" is my new description.

Date: July 31, 2014 05:45PM

amyslittlesister Wrote:
> But "KKK Lite with Fortune 500 Sensibilities" is
> my new description.

Mormonism - where else can founding a profitable religion consist of codifying racism into a sacred text, taking your friend's teenage daughters and their wives as polygamist wives, and land speculating for fun and profit?

Posted by: White Cliffs ( )
Date: July 31, 2014 06:19PM

I don't like boring services, and some of them were truly boring. But my greatest objection was to self-centered, self-righteous members who enjoyed attacking and demeaning other members, often face-to face. It really sickened me.

I was in a somewhat unusual ward, but that kind of thing can happen almost anywhere that Mormons get together. I hated seeing it happen, and I hated not being prepared for it. If I want to enter a battle zone, I can think of more entertaining battle zones than the Mormon church.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 31, 2014 06:29PM

There is no one true reason for leaving. Church is a voluntary association and people can leave for any number of reasons. If it doesn't suit you, your needs, or your family's needs, that is sufficient.

Date: July 31, 2014 06:48PM

summer Wrote:
> If it doesn't suit you,
> your needs, or your family's needs, that is
> sufficient.

My needs include reducing my being used by a corporation for their profit. I want to reduce that whenever I can as long as it meets my need to not be exploited as much as possible.

Being exploited by a corporation to meet my need for milk and meat I cannot easily stop in this need of mine to reduce my own exploitation.

Being exploited by a corporation to meet their need for milking me and beating my meat to stop me from doing it myself I can very easily stop in this need of mine to reduce my own exploitation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2014 06:49PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: July 31, 2014 10:55PM

Boredom puts the mind into a soporific state, so it can be more easily brainwashed. The droning and repetition is deliberate. Being brainwashed is very unpleasant. You feel used, disrespected, manipulated, and duped. You never feel enlightened, loved, or uplifted in Mormonism.

The Mormons were never really "nice." My children saw through their facade, and they made me aware of it. In many ways, little children (before the brainwashing kicks in) can see things more clearly than the fully indoctrinated adults can.

When people talk about Mormon shunning, I always say, "No matter how rude the Mormons are to us now, they were much nastier to us when we were members.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2014 10:56PM by forestpal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.