Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nicole s ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:46AM

I just read Heaven Is For Real on the recommendation of a friend. What a load of horse manure!!!!! Have any of you read this? Total B.S. What did you all think of it? Is this another one of those Oprah books? I'm starting to feel like if she recommends a book I need to run the other direction fast.

Anyways, the only reason I finished this tripe was out of kindness to my friend. When she asked how I liked it I lied and said, Oh it was good. Didn't want to hurt her feelings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nolongersearching27 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:52AM

I would have let my friend know how I felt. Because friends should be open with each other about those things. It fosters good conversation. And maybe she can see something from your POV. Maybe not.

I was asked to read the book and invited to see the movie. I refused. I've heard plenty about it and seen the interviews this family did... didn't need to hear anymore about it.

Posted by: nicole s ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 11:57AM

you're probably right about the honesty. I just can't ever bring myself to do it in a situation like that, to say what I really thought. It's like getting sweater from your grandma for christmas. Despite what you really think, you say THanks! and make her feel good and then you don't have to worry about it til next year when she gives you another one. lol

Date: July 27, 2014 12:00PM

I totally get it. I haven't always had the bravery to speak my mind. I think there are situations that are appropriate to not say anything, and then there are situations when it is necessary.

I got tired of my friends and family always thinking I agreed with their (homophobic, racist, so many other things in this blank) opinions because I didn't say anything. And I didn't want to be misrepresented. So with butterflies in my stomach, I open my mouth now in those situations.

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:11PM

If there is nothing after this existence, what happens to our energy? Heaven us simply a different state than we exist in now, of course it is real, our energy doesn't cease after our life ends, science taught us that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 12:11PM by almost.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:15PM

almost Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If there is nothing after this existence, what
> happens to our energy? Heaven us simply a
> different state than we exist in now, of course it
> is real, our energy doesn't cease after our life
> ends, science taught us that.

Good question. Aren't we all energy? Does energy die?

I have had experiences I cannot explain. There is some kind of energy that exists that is undefinable.

Date: July 27, 2014 12:19PM

No question about it. I don't think it's as some claim it is, but our energy does continue beyond this life, no doubt about it. You can't create something from nothing, and you can't destroy energy, it just moves on in different form.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 04:22PM

Your energy will definitely continue on after you die. But according to Einstein, matter and energy can be converted from one form (matter to energy or energy to matter) quite easily in nature. So theoretically, your energy could end up as a grain of sand on the beach. Our bodies are bar rowed from materials that existed prior to our birth. Who's to say the same isn't true of your energy?

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 04:25PM

When you die your body "energy" will continue as a rotting corpse.

Posted by: GenY ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 01:05PM

It's absurd to think that the energy stored in our corpses as chemical energy will somehow still exist in an organized form after death because energy flows from one state to another.

Date: July 27, 2014 12:16PM

Please provide peer reviewed, scientific studies and articles that show that science has proven this.........

Is energy the same thing as consciousness? Does that mean there is a heaven with a god? No. Yes we are made of star stuff and the universe and when we die our bodies go back to that.

Date: July 27, 2014 12:23PM

Man you crack me up, energy can't be killed, it continues on. News flash for you, the world is not flat either. Sounds like you need to spend more time studying science and energy my friend, you'll learn more as you research on your own.

Date: July 27, 2014 12:25PM

A) I'm not your friend
B) I am a woman
C) I know energy can't be killed or destroyed and I SAID THAT.
D) I said provide evidence that energy is the same thing as consciousness. And to experience heaven, you would think logically, that you need some consciousness to experience that.
E)Equating what I said and assuming I think the earth is flat is ignorant and an assumption you shouldn't be making.
F)You have no clue of my educational level.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 12:26PM by nolongersearching27.

Date: July 27, 2014 12:39PM

Where did I say anything about conscious? I am talking about energy, way to put words in my mouth. And what the hell does you being a woman have to do with anything, man? Reading comprehension goes out the window when you don't fit the mold in here I guess. You guys are so "original" in your group think. Read before you defend, old mormon habits die hard I guess.

Date: July 27, 2014 12:39PM

Eh

Date: July 27, 2014 12:26PM

Energy is not the same thing as consciousness.

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:33PM

Please provide peer reviewed, scientific studies and articles that show that science has proven that:

1. Water is wet.
2. The sky is blue.
3. Sh!t stinks.

Date: July 27, 2014 12:35PM

"Bradley" and "almost" apparently studied science at the same university...

Date: July 27, 2014 12:35PM

Date: July 27, 2014 12:44PM

No kidding, funny how many "intellectuals" on here throw out peer review requirement for something they don't agree with, yet spew their opinions as fact and accept no alternative that isn't a peer review. Makes you wonder if they even know what peer review means and how many peer review sources have later been proven false over the years. The world is flat was peer reviewed as were many other embarrassing scientific facts over the years. Thinking for yourself is not a bad thing but some just need to follow a crowd I guess. Peer review is the new standard unless it opposes what they already believe. Mormon group think at it's best.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 01:39PM

I hear ya. I hate how Mormons throw around peer reviewed articles about seer stones. What if they're wrong? Or as Bradley says, prove rocks are hard.

Date: July 27, 2014 01:45PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:16PM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 12:21PM

You could just say, "Well, it wasn't my cup of tea, but I'm glad it made you feel good."

Date: July 27, 2014 12:21PM

Date: July 27, 2014 12:22PM

Energy goes on after you die, but I'm pretty sure that it's not a conscious energy. It's the energy of your composing body going into the soil and nourishing other living things.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 01:02PM

I have a deep interest in all things paranormal/NDE, etc. and even I think it bunk. I do think it's entirely possible that the child had some sort of NDE experience, but that his parents blew it up and over-interpreted it to fit their religious point of view. They're acting like he's the only person who's ever had such an experience, when there is a wealth of NDE literature that is more complete and better written.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 01:09PM

I too am very interested in the dying process and the near dying process and what happens when the heart stops and starts again, and all of those kinds of experiences.
The religious views color the interpretation of these experiences that have been programmed into the consciousness.

What are the facts? There are things that happen, that I have experienced that defy physics as we know it. I have concluded there is another dimension or reality.

The story/movie is only one of thousands of experiences of NDE's that have a great appeal to our human experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2014 01:10PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: July 27, 2014 01:19PM

We weren't conscious before our births. We weren't looking forward to coming here. We didn't know we didn't exist yet because, well, we didn't exist yet.

My answer is always that wherever I was before I was born, I will someday return to that state. I won't know that I'm not here at that time either.

Posted by: Gettinreal ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:04PM

My question. Has a Hindu ever had a NDE that was Christian in its form? Or has a Christian ever had one that took on Hindu characteristics? I'm not aware of any. As such, it would seem that such experiences are the product of our own minds and are conditioned by our expectations.

Date: July 27, 2014 03:10PM

Mellen-Thomas Benedict had one where "the Light" kept changing into Jesus and then Buddha and then Krishna. Mellen figured it was because he had no preconceived notions where religion was concerned.

He finally asked it to clarify what it really was and it turned into his own higher self. I guess that's supposed to be a part of you that remains in the Light when a part of you comes to earth to inhabit a body for a time.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 03:13PM

We'll know if we get there, or not.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 27, 2014 04:38PM

"You" go the same place when you die that Lego buildings go when you dump the Legos back into the box.

Lego Building Heaven.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.