Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shiningwaters ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 11:43PM

Would I feel better getting rid of all of the old Mormon books in my home? Sometimes I don't know if I should part with them, but then I think it might be a good thing to heal.

Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 11:46PM

I threw them into a dumpster and immediately felt better. Plus, it freed up space for new books.

The Boner

Posted by: Tom Padley ( )
Date: July 31, 2014 12:12AM

^^ Totally agree with The Boner. I had a set of books by McConkie's son called "Doctrinal Commentary of the Book of Mormon." He actually believes the earth is 6,000 years old, along with other hardcore TBM crap. Very cathartic when I tossed them in the trash and watched the garbage truck dump them. Why is that so cathartic? My only thought is that it's like carrying a sack of rocks and then dropping them on the side of the road because you can't figure out why you've carried them for so long. I like the word cathartic. Just saying it is cathartic.

Posted by: roslyn ( )
Date: July 29, 2014 11:46PM

I felt better after getting rid of mine. First off they were taking up valuable bookshelf space and they were also out in the open so I saw them several times a day. Going through them was a little stress inducing but after they were gone and I had more room it was a weight off my shoulders.

Date: July 29, 2014 11:55PM

I think you all are right and it would be freeing. Mine are in a box right now...

I have 4 BOMs why? I never really liked reading it. I read it once as an investigator and it still bores me to think about it

Posted by: wow ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 12:00AM

If any were published before the big changes I would like to have them.

If you could find me through admin, I'll pay for the shipping.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 12:01AM

Burning things is very satisfying. And ripping the pages out to feed the flame is therapeutic.

Date: July 30, 2014 12:07AM

All my stuff is like 2002-2005ish nothing old Sorry

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 06:50AM

Pack them in a box and put them in the garage.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 08:08AM

problem is, the church also has people throwing away older books about mormonism. You would be doing it because you no longer believe and they are doing it to destroy as much evidence as possible that this information was out there. I have held on to much of my stuff only because of this fear that in time it will be hard to have evidence of the stupidest and evil sides of mormonism.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 08:26AM

I have a few criteria for evaluating books in my home library. First, do I think I will use it as a reference? If so, I keep it. If I really, really like a book I will keep it. Finally, I look at my emotional attachment to a book. If I have a positive emotional attachment to a book but have outgrown it or don't need it, I will try to find a family member or friend who would enjoy it. I would not keep a book that I feel negatively about and/or don't need as a reference.

Posted by: Lorenzo's Ho ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 09:18AM

I donated all of my church books to the Mormon library. I wanted that crap out of my house for good, and yes it feels gr8 to have it gone.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 10:17AM

I threw a ton out during a move. I don't miss any of it.

I kept a few old books. Things like first edition Mormon doctrine, etc. They are on top of high up cabinets being used under art objects to elevate them above the moulding on the cabinet. I can't see them, but know I have them if I want to use them for reference.

Eventually i'm going to put together a letter to my grandchildren telling them of my mormon life and ancestry. I will include all of the reasons why they should never become mormons. I'm afraid that if I die and they don't know my history, they may get coerced into signing up. I may need some of those books as reference when I write that letter.

Posted by: copper ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 10:55AM

Scriptures changed last year, introduction to BoA and something else I have forgotten already, lol. So keeping for the future makes the point about how scriptures are still changing.

I threw out or redistributed 95% of stuff. Very important for me. Glad it is not there any more.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 11:00AM

I hollowed out a copy of "The Miracle of Forgiveness" and keep an alcohol flask in it. I'm hoping some mormon will pull it out of my bookcase and take a look.

Mormon doctrine and beliefs seem to be a moving target. If you've got the room, put your books in a box and hold on to them. In 10 or 20 years they'll all be in the "I don't know that we teach that" category. Or pass them along to some other ex-mo that might use them.

If not I'd recommend recycling the paper. It would be oh-so-much fun to burn them as well.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 11:06AM

How thick is your copy of Miricle of Forgiveness? Mine isn't thick enough to hold much of anything.

I agree with you on the rationale to keep them around. Otherwise, I'd dump them all.

Posted by: TheOtherHeber ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 11:09AM

The less things related to mormonism in my own home, the less I remember this stupid church ever existed, and the faster I will be recovered.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 11:09AM

It depends on where you plan to go from here. If your goal is to put Mormonism behind you and not look back, then you should get rid of all the Mormon crap.

If your goal is to spend a chunk of your life rehashing the inconsistencies and down right lies of TSCC, you might want to keep the books for reference.

I threw all of my books away. I didn't think that any of them were old enough to be useful, but it turns out that materials printed in the 90s taught things that TSCC claims not to teach. Since I'm still addicted to this subject, I wish I had kept more of my books.

Maybe you should keep the books until you stop coming to places like this.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 11:13AM

If you don't know, then box them all up and put them out of sight. You'll forget about them, you'll heal, and then the next time you move you can throw them out without any drama.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: July 31, 2014 12:09AM

That's what we did. We packed them all for our first move after we left the church but our last move we threw them all out. We must have had 100+. And we had "The Mormon and the Negro"and the BoM that said "WHITE and delightsome. Pitched them all.

Have no regrets.

Date: July 30, 2014 11:57PM

I really wish I had the 6 lessons the missionaries taught from in 1986 and 1987. I would love to read them and see what I was taught. Although they used those until the 2000s so they might not have changed much

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 31, 2014 02:23AM

I have a copy of "Mormonism and the Negro" that my father gave me in 1976. It was two years before the curse of Cain doctrine was overturned, and I was against it. The book was supposed to show me the error of my ways, but I was proven right within twenty four months.

You can bet I'm keeping that book.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.