Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 05:44PM

My best friend from high school is a mormon. Today I had lunch with her. I have been fairly open with her regarding my "apostasy" and she more or less knows I am done with the church. She's been fine with it.

Today at lunch she brought a friend she met. This girl was just baptized a few months ago, and is in total awe with everything mormon. She went on about how glad she was she joined.

The newcomer asked me why I don't go to the YSA ward and I replied "I don't go to church at all, I don't like it."

She seemed shocked that anyone would be a disaffected mormon. I think I might be the first "apostate" she has met. She was shocked again when I mentioned I drank coffee the other day.

There is SO much more I wanted to say to her, but I held myself back because it didn't feel like the right time. But at least she is now aware that not everyone who once was a mormon remains so and not everyone is dazzled by mormonism.

Maybe in time...

But it's just hard to not go into a rant about the church and the BS and the scams around old friends and new converts...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2014 12:00AM by nonsequiter.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: In a hurry ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 05:49PM

Has your friend ever brought anyone with her before to your lunches?

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 05:50PM

No... I did wonder for a second if it was a set up. But I highly doubt it. My friend knows me better than that.

If it was it pretty much back fired.

Posted by: exodus ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 06:18PM

Sigh. It's probably for the best. It's so hard to watch folks get sucked in, but you just become an "angry apostate" if you say anything.

Posted by: 2+2=4 ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 07:27PM

"I don't go to church at all, I don't like it."

I just want to thank you for saying that to the young woman. Even if you feel it wasn't much, it was assertive and honest and who knows, it is a seed planted might someday germinate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2014 07:27PM by 2+2=4.

Posted by: BYUboner ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 09:03PM

I had a similar situation in a restaurant, I asked the server what brought her out to Utah as I was ordering a cocktail. She told me sbout her conversion and how wonderful the church was. I wished her well--no need to be a prick around someone young and naive.

Probably in a few years she'll be asking, "just what the fuck did I get myself into?"

The Boner.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: July 30, 2014 09:49PM

The young are gullible; just ask me. I was that convert for way too long.

Posted by: demoneca ( )
Date: July 31, 2014 01:04AM

I had a very true believer BIC Mormon acquaintance who was just like the new convert in your story. Even my best friend, who's also a devoted Mormon, thought she was weird. The few times we hung out, this girl seemed keen on impressing me or something. Every little aspect of a conversation with her was centered around why being Mormon is aWeSOmE!1! and always noting how special Mormon beliefs are, especially regarding the Word of Wisdom. Somehow we started talking about tea, so I casually mentioned I liked to drink it once in awhile. Paired with a confused look, her response: "See, we Mormons don't drink tea. Joseph Smith received revelation for the Word of Wisdom. Tea is bad for the body." She talked like that a lot. Almost seemed like she gave mini lectures to strengthen her testimony, hoping she'd convert me. At this point she knew I'd been attending the church for years, but apparently not being baptized means I never learn anything in Sunday school. Her family also had self-imposed rules: They only watched G and PG movies--no PG-13. Shorts/skirts at mid-knee or barely above were unacceptable. Talk about hardcore. She lived in a bubble, then moved to Utah. She was nice and a good person, just super weird.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2014 01:06AM by demoneca.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.