Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: stillburned ( )
Date: July 31, 2014 11:35AM

Hey, thanks for the many months of letting me, a never-Mo try to understand Mormonism...or at least the minds of Mormons. I'm going to take a break, because I only get frustrated reading here.

Suffice to say, I married a Mormon--who promised, before we married, to convert to my faith (anyone who came from another Christian faith did not need the internet--you only needed to read official Mormon material to see it was a cult). Did not seem at all serious about Mormonism. Then we got married and the cult pressure started for years. We moved a lot for my job and the cult always found us, even in places where we were only scheduled to be a few months. One of my children was even blessed behind my back. Thankfully, my in-laws died (I know, I'm a cocksucker for saying something so mean)...and my TBM SIL lives a long way away. Then my spouse let's just say, engaged in some behaviors that were very damaging to our entire family...and in "repentance," I got Mormonism thrown in my face while the family (me especially) was still reeling from bad behaviors.

I even did the good supportive spouse thing, and attended several Mormon meetings. I assured everyone I had my own religion and didn't need theirs... they would not just leave me the hell alone... "Jim" (the Bishop) would always ask when I was going to join (and he was probably the most decent guy about respecting boundaries). I got plenty of tracts and "The 17 Points" cards, too. And they get all pissed when you rebut the stuff.

Luckily, the active Mormon kick ended, but, I guess in my mind, I equate Mormonism with a lot of broken promises. Every promise my spouse made when we got married has been broken...and through it all, I stayed (yes, you can read between the lines to know what spouse did). Spouse has done much to mend the damage. Spouse doesn't believe a lot of the doctrines of Mo-ism and even attend another church. We even But she won't leave. I told her she could even join the other church, which she otherwise loves, but she won't join....just in case. What if she violates the "covenants" she made as an eight-year-old. WTF!?!

Goddammit, I could leave Mormonism alone, if they'd leave us the hell alone. I'm tired of being told I don't understand "The Church," when I have studied it more deeply than any Mormon I know...from both official and supposedly "anti" stuff...and none of the "anti" stuff I've read contradicts the "official" stuff or what you hear at a sacrament meeting...it simply comes to a different conclusion...that Mormonism is not what it claims for itself.

I've gained a lot of insight. I understand why anyone would leave Mo-ism and drop all religion or at least anything that smacks of Christianity...and I don't feel any need to criticize them. I don't judge anyone who gains any measure of comfort from being a Mormon. I don't think anyone goes to Hell for being a Mormon. If it works for TBMs, fine, but I want nothing to do with it.

This board has also helped me to be able to anticipate the latest kick in inactive member harrassment. But, I don't guess I have anything to add to the conversation...at least most of my interactions here leaving me feeling that I don't. I only leave this board pissed about what the Mormons have done to so many people, with no real hope that spouse will ever finally cut ties. So, reading here is an exercise in futility that brings me no real comfort (except, when I jealously read posts that say, "I'M OUT!" or the ones I really love, that say, "WE'RE OUT!!"

Good luck, God bless (if you still believe in that sort of thing, if not, well, good luck again), and best wishes. To past, present, and future resignees: Congrats on getting out of a mind controlling cult.

Sincerely yours,

Never Mo, but,
STILL BURNED
(by this goddamned cult)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2014 11:38AM by stillburned.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 31, 2014 11:51AM

I can understand why you feel that you've had a lifetime's worth of harassment from the Mormon church. Feel free to return here if you want to or need to. But until then, good luck to you and take care.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: July 31, 2014 12:03PM

I feel this way a lot. Some days the board just aggravates me instead of helping, others it helps me reduce my anger levels. It is no panacea, so come and go as needed :)

All the best to you on your journey!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 31, 2014 12:26PM

See you tomorrow.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: July 31, 2014 04:22PM

I think it is good to take breaks. Hey I take one every month :). As things come up remember you will always have a listening ear here.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.