Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DENNISsystem ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 05:14PM

Hey all...mainly a lurker on this sight.

I have a job offer to move to Portland - From SLC. I don't know much about the city/suburban areas.

What areas should I consider moving to? Office would be downtown - I'm OK with a bit of a commute. 3 kids (14, 12, 10). Schools are important along with community envolvement, kids finding friends, etc.

I guess I would be looking for areas/neighborhoods with similar demographic to Riverton, South Jordan, Herriman.

The wife and are are going to scount things out in a couple of weeks.

Any suggestions or input is appreciated. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dr Mantis Toboggan MD ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 05:32PM

Cedar Mill (Forest Park is awesome!)

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 05:53PM

Do a search here on this topic. It comes up with some frequency and you might find good suggestions.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 05:54PM

And if so do you know what area the office is in in round terms? Don't want you to give out too much info but there are many neighborhoods so if you give us a general idea we can point you that direction.

Posted by: DENNISsystem ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 06:01PM

SW Skyline BLVD and Sunset HWY...Sylvan Highlands I believe it is called...not quite "downtown?"

Posted by: jellobeltnevermo ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 06:51PM

Check out City Data for Portland and surrounding areas. Lots of good info there. Welcome to Oregon.

Posted by: ultra ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 07:04PM

If I was going to move there I would probably pick Tigard or Tualitan areas to go to as far as suburbs. Portland is an awesome city. Oh yeah, and if you have the dough...Skyline blvd as mentioned above.

Posted by: me2 ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 07:24PM

The Orenco/Hillsboro area is a fantastic place to live. Very family friendly and lots to do within a short drive. The Beaverton school district is very good with many great neighborhoods to search.

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 07:27PM

Portland exmo meet up August 10, 3PM,at the Buffalo Gap on SW Macadam.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 07:49PM

I'm jealous. It's my home town, and I love Portland.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 04, 2014 08:37PM

Portland is nice, nuts and neat; BIKES - watch & ride: STP, WNBR, commuters & exercise-recreation/ outdoor enthusiasts, to make little mention of armchair and beer-cyclists. Best wishes. What a change. What a blessing- hopefully it is. Enjoy your plans.

Posted by: Elwood ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 01:17AM

Congratulations! We made the same move many years ago. Best thing we have ever done.

Research the schools. Lake Oswego and West Linn have very good schools - very well funded. But as it was described to us, Lake Oswego is where the beautiful people live. West Linn has neighborhoods in many price ranges from average to estates on acreage. Wilsonville is in the same school district as West Linn - good schools, newer housing and decent amenities. It is farther from downtown but doable.

The Beaverton area also has good schools - but very large if that matters to you. They also have good recreational facilities in that part of town. Portland proper has some good schools and some not-so-good ones. Beware. Another option is Vancouver, Washington just over the river. Housing is generally cheaper but I personally couldn't handle the traffic every day.

You do need to consider your commute. If you are out Beaverton way I'd seriously consider riding the light rail. Highway 26 is busy all the time it seems. I-5 north and south can be managed unless you must travel right at rush hour - but if there is an accident anywhere expect your commute time to double. In parts of Lake Oswego and West Linn you can avoid the freeway and it is 20 to 30 minutes or so to downtown.

It's a great place to live. Nobody will care if you are mormon, pastafarian, atheist or anything else. They will ask if you are a Duck or a Beaver though.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 01:55AM

I have a friend who lives in Tigard and she loves it.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: August 05, 2014 06:21AM

i have strong family connections to Portland and other parts of Oregon. It is the best Amrican city. and there's so much to see and do in the area. my screen save here at work and at home is a view of the Columbia River gorge. people walk my my desk and ask which country it's in and are suprised when I tell them it is in he USA.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.