Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 09:52PM

Wow, the LDS is soooooo obsessed with gays and can't let it go

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/50309838-78/lds-mcmullin-evergreen-conference.html.csp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mav ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 10:09PM

"Burden". Really. Gawd creates everyone and hands some a burden? Nice guy. Well, my Grandfather in the late '30's (a physician) told my mother gays are born that way. He told my mother to leave them alone. She must have said something.

Where is the progress since then?

Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 10:15PM

"lift your burden" ... from the same god that would turn a certain cursed group white if they became worthy.

I support you MJ.

Posted by: govinda ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 10:25PM

Hmmm.

April-Dawn, a California woman, spoke Saturday of her own “fierce” struggle to overcome her attractions to women. She asked that her last name not be used because she has not shared this part of her life with family members.

“I am very thankful for the [LDS] gospel in my life,” she said. “I am beginning to recognize the blessings that this struggle or any trial can bring. How could we ever grow or stretch if we did not have struggles?”

I don't get it. How is the LDS "gospel" a blessing in anyone's life, let alone this lady's? I guess her attraction to women is just a struggle like anything else that will go away with a little self-discipline. Sheesh.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 10:48PM

I suppose this woman views her receipt of the LDS gospel as a "blessing", because she believes it will help her to overcome her attraction to other women, something she has been trained to believe is wrong. Unfortunately, the available evidence indicates that denying your own attractions has many more disadvantages than benefits.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 11:46PM

Repressing one's own sexuality is like trying to supress the desire to eat; futile and stupid. The consequences always disastrous. It's a horrible feeling, living every waking moment in constant terror of "evil gay thoughts." I hope that the faith of those going through this dissipates before they harm themselves.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 10:33PM

What if the burden is fifteen old white men that don't understand "diddly" about the human psychic, when it comes to gender attraction? I suppose its easy to say "live your entire life alone, you will then be changed!" What a sweet promise, not!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2010 10:34PM by george.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 10:44PM

Seriously. Sometimes I don't have words. I can't even imagine what it would feel like to be that stupid.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 11:39PM

"I would remind Keith McMullin that he does not have the truth on dealing with gays or what G-D will or will not do. Allow me to quote the Bible (the real one):

"The L-rd comes close to those who call upon Him, to those who call upon Him IN TRUTH." (emphasis added)

Since Mormons believe the only way to G-D is through Joseph Smith (not even Jesus), there's no way Sirrah McMullin can speak with any authority with regards to how G-D will deal with gays.

Oh, and to quote the Kiwi teen several years back: "G-D made me. G-D made me gay. Now, are YOU going to tell G-D He made a mistake?"

One more question, Sirrah McMullin: when did YOU decide you were straight?"

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 05:31PM

I'm sure that the only burden is to be labelled as inferior by ill meaning church bigots.

And as surely as God will help all to lift all persons burdens, we must first recognize that the church is not true, and that the Priesthood leadership is not inspired, nor do they control anyones salvation on earth or in heaven.

God will help us all, but the first and hardest step may be to reject the foolish traditions of our fathers. Only then is the spirit able to more fully operate in our lives.

We must reach out and help our Gay friends to recognize that they are made that way by God, and therefore God cannot hate them. Next we must help them to loose tha bands of LDS bondage.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 05:50PM

Looking back at the works/words of Spencer Kimball and his attitude towards straight sex (a mixture, it seemed to me, of horror, disgust and fascination) how on earth could we suppose they could even make a pretence of trying to understand same sex attraction?

Posted by: aods ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 06:58PM

And if he can't, they have just the guy that shock the shit out of you or hydro therapy your brain away.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.