Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: byu alum ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 11:59AM

My least favorite part of BYU was definitely "ward prayer" on sunday nights. I learned early on to not go to it.

All that ever happened was the bishop made some lame announcements, then some 18 year old freshman girl would announce she was engaged and everybody would be excited for her, then we would pray on our knees.

Lame.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: byu alum ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:02PM

Oops, let me correct myself.

Worse than ward prayer was the Tuesday morning devotionals in the Marriott Center. Usually a boring speaker more dry than expired bread, and you had to literally run after it was over to be able to get to your next class on time. If you elected to stay on campus and not attend the devotional, people looked at your funny like "shouldn't you be somewhere else right now?"

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:16PM

I loved having peace and quiet on campus while most everyone else was gone.

Posted by: leaker ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:05PM

Oh this is an easy one.

By far the WORST thing about BYU was that the student cafeterias (I lived at Deseret Towers) closed on fast sundays!!! We called it the "forced fast." It was horrible. And then when it opened up in the afternoon, the lines were out the door since everybody was so hungry.

Posted by: lawler ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:08PM

Thanks for brining back this horrible memory:

I hated the girl working the cafeteria counter who wouldn't let me go back for a second brownie. She said you only get one. So I would send my roommate up to get me one. Haha.

Posted by: wastedtime ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 02:46PM

I had some heavy make-outs with a girl that worked at the Cannon (Cancer) Center. That's where I met her. She said she couldn't believe how much butter they put in everything. She was from California and pretty cool, aside from being certifiable.

Posted by: Anon... ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:09PM

Forgot about that. At least their were a bunch of vending machines in the basement.

I would usually just skip ward prayer and devotionals...unless there was a girl I wanted to see at ward prayer. Ward prayer certainly wasn't about the prayer...they just wanted people to mingle and get married...

Date: August 06, 2014 12:11PM

My experience at BYU was mostly good. The worst was probably being sent home from the testing center for having not shaved for a day or two.

Posted by: sunny ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:13PM

HAHA me toooo!! Same reason!!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:18PM

embarrassing otherwise.

Date: August 06, 2014 02:49PM

A good friend worked for "Vending Services" filling the vending machines. He said in the guys dorms he only had to restock a few candy bars. In the girls dorms, the machines were EMPTY.

Date: August 06, 2014 02:52PM

Worst: Arrogant Jackass Administration and Prick RMs
Best: Extremely horny mormon girls

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:06PM

I never went there, but i'm pretty sure some of my money did.

Posted by: somnambulist ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:09PM

The terrible, terrible hypocrisy and the needs of the student to feel normal and have the appearance of doing normal things while having to maintain a lie in order to qualify for a mission or get married in the temple. and being asked by my bishop to spy on other roommates.

Posted by: jacob ( )

Mandatory religion classes that assigned more homework than my Econometrics course.

Having to shave to take a test.

Having to explain why NFL football was a good excuse to skip church.

Having to pretend to like reading the BOM on a date just to get some over the shirt action.

All of the RM douces/maladjusted men fighting for all of the naive 18 year old girls.

Oh and did I say that fucking religion teachers would assign more work than my Econ and Math classes combined.

Date: August 06, 2014 01:23PM

"Oh and did I say that fucking religion teachers would assign more work than my Econ and Math classes combined."

Agreed. D&C was the worst for me. Even for TBM's, there's very little meaningful content in the D&C, so what did the teacher do?...made us memorize every date, place, name, etc... It was the biggest waste of time.

Posted by: Leaving ( )

Having to wear socks with my Sperry Topsiders.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 02:52PM

Sounds like we were from the same era!

Posted by: not allone ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:16PM

It absolutely bugged me to see students at the cafeterias bowing their heads and blessing the food!!

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:16PM

Ugh.

I hated having to pretend I was straight 24/7.

But the other stuff people have named was all horrible too--eviction from the library and other campus services during devotionals, forced fasts at the dorms,...

I was a student instructor for several years and I also hated being forced to wear a tie to teach. Some busybody prof who taught in my classroom the period before me turned me in once for going without and caused all sorts of trouble. I am now a tenured university professor and I have never, ever worn a tie to work. Never will.

Date: August 06, 2014 12:18PM

I forgot about the forced fasts. Yea that always pissed me off.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )

Like DO NOT WALK ON THE GRASS.

I would anyway just to see how many people would yell at me. Almost every time there would be some anal sphincter that would yell out "DON"T WALK ON THE GRASS!"

I'd just smile and wave at them and continue through the grass. Such subversive behavior.

Posted by: anon now ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:22PM

LOLOL

When I was there, they had little signs on the grass that said "Cougars Don't Cut Corners"

And there were even editorials in The Daily Universe about the matter, about how if we are not obedient in the little things, then how can we be faithful in the big things? LOL

Funny thing is, there is this once area by the Kimball Tower where everybody used to cut through the grass(because it made total sense!) Well, they finally gave in and paved it!!!!! LOLOLOL

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 02:20PM

I've seen UVU do the same thing. They had "Stay off the grass" signs at one time. Now they string up yellow rope around parts of the lawn.

Posted by: leann ( )

Totally annoying that every last one of the 30,000+ students wore knee-length shorts!

Date: August 06, 2014 12:20PM

And Tee Shirts that showed off their yellow mission garments.

Posted by: calianon ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:21PM

even though I had major doubts about the church after my mission.

Religion classes were the one thing I didn't enjoy. I thought they were a waste of time, and I disliked most of the religion professors that I had (if you can call them that). They were just glorified seminary teachers who thought they were real professors.

Posted by: bezoar ( )

What I hated was the lack of individuality among the student body. Everyone was a white middle class Mormon. It was almost like if you met one you'd met everyone. There was no diversity at all! And the pressure to conform was insane! I always laughed when a professor would try to get a discussion going in class. No matter the subject, everyone knew what their opinion was supposed to be. And if someone's opinion deviated from official mormon policy they sure as hell weren't going to admit it out loud and risk getting reported to someone.

To this day I'm drawn to people who aren't afraid to be individuals. If you have purple hair, a nose ring, and your passion in life is Norse mythology - I want to be your best friend.

Posted by: ASteve ( )

Not being able to put my beer in the fridge

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:40PM

I lived in a house south of campus with 10 other guys. Most of us were pretty laid back but we had one very annoying self righteous holier than thou guy.

One day we put a bottle of wine cooler in the fridge just to freak him out and to see how long until he called us all to repentance. Instead we all got hauled into the Bishops office the next Sunday to explain why alcohol was in our house. Luckily the Bishop "got" the joke and told us just to knock it off. Holier than thou self righteous guy moved out shortly.

Posted by: tmac ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:34PM

I hated the pressure to conform and the RMs going after the young 18-19 year old girls.

I got a lot of flack from men for being a 21 year old woman who did not serve a mission and was pursuing a professional degree. It just wasn't fair that I took a coveted spot in the accounting program from a man who needs to support a family. Fortunately, I got lots of support from the faculty. Most of them were pretty supportive of women in the program. A couple of them even encouraged me to get a PhD and return to teach. Sorry, but that would never happen. Even if I wanted to get a PhD, there was no way in hell I was going to live in Utah again.

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:41PM

The thing I hated most was the arrogance and self righteousness of some of the students.

I lived my first three months of marriage with my first wife in a BYU ward where my then father-in-law owned some apartments. I had to move because I could not stand the people in the ward or the neighbors. I absolutely hated it and I was only at the time one year home from the old mish.

Effing idiots thought their crap didn't stink!!!!

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 12:47PM

That would have to be the crusty old counselor I was assigned to talk to about my lesbian "problem" who always wore one of two polyester leisure suits. He would ask me again and again to tell him in detail the minor and innocent experiences I had with my first girlfriend, then want a full body hug afterwards. This went on until I would curl up in a ball in my chair in our sessions and not speak to him at all. When I complained about his inappropriate physical contact, I was told he was just "affectionate" and did this with all his patients. But hey - at least they didn't electroshock me.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 01:08PM

The sign at the entrance that says "THE WORLD IS OUR CAMPUS" - it's really the other way around.

Posted by: null ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 01:12PM

Hated having class in the Smith Family Living Center (SFLC) (We called it the 'syphillis') What a horrible building! BYU should have lost its accreditation just based on that building alone!

Posted by: prophetless ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 01:14PM

I hated the campus newspaper. The Daily Universe i think it was called? What a lump of sh*t.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 01:37PM

I was a cleancut, Mormon Republican and I felt like a Jacobean at BYU. The university trusts its students far less than any state school, despite claiming how wonderful they are. The students really dislike political, musical, sartorial, intellectual, etc. diversity. They throw scriptures at you for simple things like wearing socks with shoes or not.

I'm pretty sedate in my style, but even I felt smothered by the conformity. I couldn't wait to leave Provo and even graduated a semester early to get out there.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 01:40PM

That the school (???) is located in Utah.

Posted by: crookedletter ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 01:56PM

I became amused that regardless of how unrelated the class was to church, before the semester ended the professor had to include a blurb to connect the material to his/her testimony.

I hated the testing center. I didn't care to take exams where the smell of fear and stress was so prevalent. Thankfully, my last year of classes had exams in the classroom.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 02:42PM

Having an opening (and sometimes closing) prayer in many of my classes.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 02:51PM

Levi 501 Jeans with the crotch worn to white from skrugging.

Posted by: Purient Interest ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:04PM

Posted by: twistedsister ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 02:55PM

Wow BYU is weird. Ward prayer meeting? Ew. So glad I didn't go there. I thought about it as a high schooler, and even flew out to visit the campus my senior year.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.