Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 02:56PM

While ignoring the dates, or by changing the dates the BoM was supposed to have taken place, because past LDS leaders didn't really know what they were talking about.

<<Archaeologists piece together evidence of bloody apocalypse in 12th century America>>

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/08/05/archaeologists-piece-together-evidence-of-bloody-apocalypse-in-12th-century-america/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anonow ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:00PM

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:12PM

Those archaeologists were probably carbon dating the remains, and even though I don't know squat about how carbon dating works, somebody once said that it isn't accurate. So we can assume that archeaologists have the dates wrong, not the B of M.

Why depend on scientific dating, anyway? Scientists say the earth is billions of years old, when we know it's only 6,000.

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:25PM

Also missing the swords, horses, etc...

"the rapid depopulation of the Pueblo region from about “40,000 people in the mid-1200s to none 30 years later.”

I'm sure they meant "2 million" when they said "40,000".

Posted by: Chump ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:29PM

Wonder what the original comment was:

- This comment was deleted

-..........The only people who believe there were Jews in North America at this point in time are the Mormons.

-..........Stop. Just stop !
You're making a fool of yourself and not winning any converts

Posted by: TooLazy ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:11PM

Fuck it. I'm convinced. "The Church" is twoooo! I'm calling the missionaries and see if I can get baptized soonest.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 03:57PM

Maybe it says more about me than about how everything else has changed, but this crap doesn't get me angry like it used to, now it is just pathetic. Like watching a four year old try and fix the DVD player, but without the cute.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 05:00PM

Some will probably try to mention it. Careless Mormons cherry picking for "evidence" do that on a news story without bothering to look at the published research. Here is a link to the journal article:

The Better Angels of Their Nature: Declining Violence through Time among Prehispanic Farmers of the Pueblo Southwest
http://www.metapress.com/content/m78474620h8h2683/

Notice how this statement from the abstract does not sound like wicked Lamanites waiting for the arrival of "gentiles" to fix all their problems?

"Violence generally declined through time in the northern Rio Grande until the arrival of the Spanish, even as populations increased. We propose that this decline was due to the combination of increased social span of polities, the importance of inter-Pueblo sodalities, the nature of religious practice, “gentle commerce,” and increased adherence to a set of nonviolent norms."

The "nature of religious practice" contributing to a decline in violence doesn't fit the Book of Mormon theme at all. I guess Moroni failed to tell Joe Smith about the "nonviolent norms":)

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 07:09PM

The temples back then were running short of candidates for proxy baptisms, so Jesus came down and killed a bunch of people to refill the list.

It's true.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.