Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 05:52PM

1. The Mormonism 24/7 (I wasn't prepared for that)
2. Talks about preparing for a mission
3. Having to take a religion class (I hated Old Testament class)
4. The Honor Nazis...I still have a hate on for the head Nazi
47 years later
5. everything else I can't think of right now

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2014 07:00PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 06:02PM

One might think that students unhappy with the university will google away.

And then they are going to be mad.

Posted by: kimnotnaomi ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 06:07PM

Praying at the beginning and end of classes
It was more like high school than college
The pressure to be Molly Mormon
The snow

When were you there Ron? I was there in '75/76

Date: August 06, 2014 06:21PM

'66-'67....and I don't remember the praying in class....just that some classes I hated. And the having to do HTing with a janitor creep whose whole life seemed to revolve around square dancing (go figure)....and the girls who were friendly until they learned I wasn't a RM or that I had no intention of wasting 2 years on a mission.

Ron Burr

Posted by: kimnotnaomi ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 10:37PM

We always started class with a prayer...if we had time, we would end it with one too. Anyone attending there now that can tell us if they still do this?

Posted by: cocoaberry ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 11:29PM

Yep, most teachers do still. Some ask for volunteers each class, some go down the roll and pick the next person in the alphabet. One I had went around the room.

Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 06:07PM

I had some of the best times ever at BYU Provo. Even as an ex-Mormon I love ging back to visit.

Posted by: johnny bugeyes ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 06:09PM

The dress code was silly
Had a hole in my jeans the size of a dime and sent home to change. Ricks was cold. There were civil defense caves that were cool to go to and drink :) My mother had a tail on me watching every move. I was able to evade...99% of the time.

Date: August 06, 2014 06:59PM

I was 500 miles from home when I was there...no cell phones or internet back then...and I knew no one when I got there...so no spies...or I'd have been in $hit with my folks....but they realized early on I was my own man...so left me alone to deal with my own decisions, and having ones parent(s) spy on you speaks volumes about how totally fucked up LDS culture is.

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2014 07:15PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 10:51AM

One shining ray of light in Rexburg in the late 70's was the Sober Society pizza joint a block or so west of campus. God how I'd love to have one of their Pizza Bombs right now.

Posted by: Jack Rabbit ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 07:32PM

No shorts.
Stupid mandatory fine arts class for zero credit.
Mandatory religion class.
Curfew.
Have to shave.
Sharing a bedroom.
Ricks-issue gym clothes and swimsuits.
Inept athletic trainers.

Posted by: notasheeple ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 07:56PM

I loved Ricks during the early 70's. I was a local bad boy. Long blond hair drove a muscle car, could not beat the Ricks girls away with a stick.Mormon girls were easy.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 10:10PM

"Living 'standards'" in the apartments in the town, even if you weren't going to YBU. Nosy landlord saying you can't have your girlfriend in there with you. It was supposed to be approved housing. Later that day I returned to find a note on the door saying move out by midnight tonight. Upon contacting standards the next day they contracted the landlord saying he couldn't do this; it wasn't approved because there was no common area, no kitchen. Roommates. Segregation. Standards. Dumb get togethers.

Posted by: Y_B_U ( )
Date: August 06, 2014 10:15PM

The focus on getting married OVER and ABOVE getting an education. That annoyed the hell out of me! How completely degrading to women!

Posted by: Platypus ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 12:49AM

I didn't go to that lame ass big churchy high school, I mean "college", but here is something I hated about it — finding out that these stupid kids that went there were getting really great Summer jobs from big companies, who would recruit on campus. Meanwhile, I was struggling to find work.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 03:08PM

The Gym would not let you put your own combination or key lock on your locker, my friend had his racket ball rackets and extra tall sweat suit (that was in stylish maroon instead of gym grey) stolen out of his locker.
Now, I'd send the college a bill, then take them to small claims court.

The womens gym swimsuits were one piece style that did not fit well. I had a nice slim figure and once while doing swim laps my boob floated out of my suit! How's that for the "Lords true church" modest swimsuit!?

I hated the pants dress code. Had a friend who was told her brown denim looking pants were "Jeans". She turned around and showed the lunch counter lady they were back zipper pants! So they were not "jeans".

My roommate wisely made out with a guy in public at in a corner at an Ensign hall dance. That way they could have fun and he wouldn't be so apt to cop a feel. She was friendly and a bit flirty. The guys she wouldn't go out with called her the 'Branch Whore'. Mainly for not wanting to make out with them or going out with them.

The guys could date a lot of different girls; there were four girls to every guy, but a girl who went out with more than two guys a month got a very bad reputation!

My boyfriend was turned in for having his mustache 1/4 inch below the corner of his mouth! It was "too long".

Another girl, a convert from Southern California was shamed for having skirts that were four inches above her knees; they were too long. The girls in her ward back home in Orange county were wearing them 10 inches above their knees, two inches higher than the non member girls, and she was shocked her skirts were considered immodest.

The LTC (Language Training Center) had young ladies from Europe teaching their native tongue that were 18 and 19 and not allowed to tell their students, the missionaries how old they were.
The TSCC couldn't get older people to teach foreign languages to the Missionaries that weren't of dating age for young men? The poor guys had a hard time concentrating in class because they were crushing on their young teachers.

They handed out badges to wear that said "Keep off the grass, I'm glad I do."

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 04:20PM

I hated "white glove" inspections on Thursdays.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.