Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: braindead ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 05:11AM

Hurricane Iselle will hit us tomorrow, followed a few days later by hurricane Julio. The stores are already completely cleaned out! Thank goodness I didn't listen to all you ex-mos and throw out my food storage! lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 05:13AM by braindead.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hello ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 05:39AM

Looks like a direct hit on my neighborhood. Got food storage, water, batteries, candles, kerosine lamps, propane. Gotta take down anything that could be wind or water damage, and put away tomorrow morning. 80mph winds will rip us up, tho. A lot at stake here for us. And Julio coming after? Hmmm, funny kine weekend.

If we lose power for days, a lot of food etc. could spoil, and we will have no tv cable, internet, phone. Only shortwave. Time to read and talk story.

Sure would be nice if it just spread out and weakened real fast. Maybe the mountains will help us as usual, thanks TutuPele!

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 05:51AM

Stay safe guys! Let us know when things have calmed.

Posted by: sassypants ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 06:51AM

I chime in with stay safe too and let us know how you are doing when you're able. :-)

Posted by: Charee ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 07:19AM

I have water, flashlights, and M&Ms. If cell towers and dakine go down it's going to take forever to get them up and running again!

Students came back to school on Monday but now no school until next Monday.

Had to prepare my classroom to be used for a shelter. We were also told to get stuff off the floors because our classrooms are in a flood zone. Defiantly a mixed message!

-Allpau
On Maui

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 07:20AM by allpau.

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 10:41AM

I have water, flashlights, and M&Ms.

Glad you have your M&Ms. :) That is something I'd be worried about too. You can survive anything with chocolate - no shame.

Posted by: MauiPowie ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 11:32AM

Wow, I feel for you! I'm trusting you will be safe. And yes, emergency prep storage is something EVERYONE should have, LDS or not.

BE SAFE!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 08:07AM

Stay safe, everyone. When Hurricane Isabel struck the east coast more than a decade ago, we lost electricity for at least a week. Some people were out longer. The most valuable commodity (beyond everything you've listed, Hello,) was ice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 08:08AM by summer.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 08:16AM

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 08:20AM

My son is on Kauai for a week's vacation. He was going to be camping, but was lucky to get a hotel room. Another son's inlaws live on Maui. Good thoughts and prayers for all who are in that area are much appreciated.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 09:36AM

Why blame exmos? Some of the food storage I saw mormons have wouldn't be very practical in a disaster. Is the church offering shelter at their Polynesian resort?

Date: August 07, 2014 07:45PM

I was just being facetious, DK.... :) I agree with you that some food storage practices are not practical in a real emergency. In Hawaii, I only keep 72 hour kits, extra water, and my kitchen cupboards full of nonperishable food.

Date: August 07, 2014 07:56PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 07:56PM by braindead.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 11:40AM

Good thoughts to all of you in Hawaii. Our favorite place on earth...be safe.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Lorenzo Snowjob ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 11:43AM

I am sure that many Morgbots are thinking that the hurricanes are God's retribution to the citizens of Hawaii for allowing Same Sex Marriage to pass earlier this year.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 06:14PM

Weird how God's retribution is always the normal weather for any region. No blizzards for Hawaii.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 12:09PM

My boss is there on vacation.

He is supposed to be flying home tomorrow.

Not sure what his plan is right now.

Posted by: dalebroadhurst ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 12:21PM

Looks like we'll have winds around 40 mph here in
Hilo this afternoon. Maybe gusts up to 80 mph.

Could be worse. When I lived on Saipan, the typhoons
regularly brought 110 mph winds and rain in solid sheets
for hours.

Worst fear is the huge, decrepit old tree immediately
Next to/over our home.

Oh well...

UD

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 12:30PM

The official forecasts do not show a "direct hit"...
nhc.noaa.gov

Might get a 50 kt wind in NE Big Island.

Not the usual trade winds, granted.

Date: August 07, 2014 01:50PM

This chart shows the strongest winds, 90 mph, of Hurricane Iselle smacking right into the Big Island and Maui.

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/tc_graphics/display_probwinds.php?stormid=EP092014&latest=y#prob34

Twenty two years ago, hurricane Iniki was tracking south of the islands and was expected to pass by. Suddenly, and quite unexpectedly, Iniki took a ninety degree turn North and slammed into Kauai and Oahu as a category 4 hurricane. The WWII air raid sirens went off in the wee hours of the morning. The winds were fierce! Thousands of homes were destroyed, people and animals were killed. The whole experience was so surreal!

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 02:50PM

The thing that worries me is how many people live in areas that will be affected by a storm surge. I lived on Oahu for three and a half years and my house was in an area where flooding from the surge would be very likely. Good luck to you all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 02:51PM by michaelc1945.

Posted by: WillieBoy ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 02:58PM

God does this so a young missionary can experience the storm and later tell tales to build faith. Stuff like 'we were starving with no drinkable water after the big storm - and I was ready to meet my maker in faith - then the supply ship came and saved us all'.

Great stories that promote faith and ignore the reality that the Islanders and other missionaries ate fish and didn't lay around preparing to die as they gave up.

What's the harm in a few lies to promote faith?

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 03:06PM

This is OBVIOUSLY God's wrath directed against Hawaii for
legalizing same-sex marriage over a year and a half ago.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 06:18PM

So why was their a tornado in SLC that killed one person many years ago?

Date: August 07, 2014 07:17PM

My DH was building an addition to the Salt Palace and watched that tornado go by right in front of him. The tornado hit the *Meganacle* Conference Center that was under construction. DH, who was TBM at the time, said the tornado was a sign of God's anger that the church was like the Nephites that had become materialistic and built the Rameumptom.

(Really, DH's company had bid on the Meganacle but didn't get the job, so he was a bit pissed. lol)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 07:25PM by braindead.

Posted by: Charee ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 03:35PM

My property backs up to a golf course. They are mowing right now. In the wind and rain. When the storm calms and it is a flooded river waterside, it will be ready when the neighborhood kids slide down on the boogie boards.

It's a popular spot and I have a great view of the activities.

I grabbed 40 more pounds of ice. Thanks for the heads up Summer.

#toomanywindows

Posted by: meganmo ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 07:00PM

Where you guys at? I'm about 5 miles from where the hurricane eye is projected to first hit the island... Raining lots, not super worried but still taking precautions.

Down in Leilani Estates Pahoa

Date: August 07, 2014 07:03PM

Check in when you are able to, everyone. If it gets really bad, head to an interior hallway, away from windows, or to your bathroom (there are lots of pipes around any bathroom that will help to hold it intact.)

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 07:27PM

And a 4.5 quake on the big island? God is really pissy today.

Date: August 07, 2014 07:39PM

Dang. The weather gods are *not* in a happy-making mood.

"As two simultaneous hurricanes raced toward Hawaii, a 4.5-magnitude earthquake rocked the islands early Thursday morning. The quake, which hit the Waimea region of the Big Island, is considered light, and any damage or injuries were not immediately reported. There is no threat of a tsunami, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/hurricanes-head-hawaii-big-island-article-1.1895204?false#Me5bY61P4hi1yqTT.97

Date: August 07, 2014 07:57PM

WOW, and earthquakes! Wishing my friends here - hello, allpau, dalebroadhurst, sizterh, Jersey Girl, meganmo - and your families a safe night!

(hope I didn't miss anyone...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 08:06PM by braindead.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 08:38PM

Thanks braindead, and you and yours be safe too! I think we will see the storm spread out and weaken some, so the period of high winds may be brief, hopefully. If so, then downed trees may be minimized, and power restored quickly. Wind is the problem to me, not rain.

The earthquake woke me up at 6am this morning, after going to sleep finally at 5. I heard the island rumbling as the quake progressed. Mixed with the high surf rumble, the effect was eery. 40-50mph we can handle I think.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 08:40AM

Thanks Braindead. I talked to my son on Kauai yesterday, nothing happening there yet but they are preparing. Also talked to my other son in L.A., his wife is supposed to fly to Maui to visit her parents for a week tomorrow (Sat.) but it remains to be seen when flights will resume. Continued good thoughts for the safety of all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.