Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 11:19PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 11:20PM

I can't wait for this. I took a trip to France once, ate two baquettes a day, drank lots of wine, ate lots of buttery sauces and ham, and came home lighter than I left.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 12:28AM

It only works in France. I did the same thing. Croissants, baguettes, pastries, cheese, pate, butter, cream, wine, wine, and more wine for a month -- lost five pounds.

Here, I probably gained weight just writing this list.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 12:36AM

Damn!

Posted by: Platypus ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 12:50AM

I ate that heavy whole rye bread (I still buy this bread here in the States) & whole grain rolls every day in Germany with cheese & meat & butter for breakfast, & I lost weight too.

Posted by: Lorraine aka síóg ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 04:40AM

Same thing happened when I moved to Austria: Ate a full luxury breakfast with cheeses, white rolls, salmon, cold meats and butter every morning and immediately started losing weight. Back in Ireland now, and I'm working hard to maintain my present weight on a boiled egg and brown bread instead. (No Ulster fries for me!) It must be the mountains in Central Europe.

Posted by: Platypus ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 11:25PM

I prefer whole grain breads, but only because I prefer the taste. Especially if it's sourdough. Same with brown rice.n

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 11:26PM

the whiter the bread
the quicker you're dead.

Posted by: ok ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 11:43PM

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 07, 2014 11:28PM

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 12:24AM

GOOD whole grain breads are best for you, even over the breads that have had their nutrients removed then artificially added back in a process called fortifying.

Some cheap whole grain breads have been known to contain saw dust.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 12:26AM

I have even known people that buy saw dust bread because it has high fiber and they think that will make them lose weight!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 12:27AM

I love whole grain bread....It tastes so good.

Ron Burr

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 12:45AM

I call white bread the pre-digested kind. It's so processed that it bears almost no resemblance to the wheat it came from.

And sometimes store-bought wheat bread is pretty much just white bread with brown color added to it. Like a couple of other people said, you have to read labels. Actual whole grains are always better for you than the stuff that's processed, bleached, and processed some more.

Also, I love the flavor of really good, whole grain bread. The nutritional value is just a bonus.

Posted by: AZanon ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 02:05AM

Neither.

I have Celiac and have to deal with cardboard bread. (Even the best brands -- Udi's, for example -- eventually just turn to crumbs and sucks your mouth dry).

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 02:37AM

Because of food allergies/sensitivities I've found this wonderful bakery here in Colorado. Their vegan oat bread is the best gluten-free bread I've found. They will also ship their items :)

http://www.outsidethebreadbox.com/vegan-oat-bread

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 03:03AM

My breads are typically 2 cups bread (high-gluten) bread flour, 1-2 cups some mix of whole grains, plus whatever dairy, sugars, salt, oil, seeds, etc. the recipe calls for.

I was thinking of going to the LDS dispensary for wheat berries, but I discovered that a local food coop, and even Whole Foods, can sell me a wider variety of wheats (red, winter, etc.) at a very competitive price. So why patronize tscc?

Most of the time I use a Cusinart bread machine, which does a very good job. Sometimes I just like to get my hands all gooey and I knead it myself.

Oh--I never touched the question of whether whole wheat is better for you. It's "settled science," isn't it?

Posted by: Craig ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 11:43AM

If its made with genetically modified wheat both will kill you, and it is hard to find bread made with anything but GMO wheat. Best to avoid all wheat products completely. Corn is getting to the same point too just fyi.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.