Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sue ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 06:21PM

The Foundation is excited about the program for our October Conference! It's a strong program, with something for everyone. Our speakers are: David Twede - of MT fame and for sending in his resignation letter while at the Conference in 2012, Janet Heimlich - an expert in the field of religious maltreatment of children, Richard Menzies -- award winning writer and the Easy Rider of Ex-Mormondon!, RuthAnn and Ken Sullivan -- recent members of our Exmormon community, who have taken a proactive approach in figuring out this new life with their five children, and last but not least, Dana Dahl -- the infamous Insana Dee in the Exmormon blog world (she has promised to tone down her language for this auspicious occasion!). :-)

The dates this year are October 10th - 12th, at The Doubletree Suites in Salt Lake City. We have the same time frame every year, beginning with our first gathering on Friday night - which is informal and fun, presentations and dinner banquet on Saturday, and a wrap-up Q&A session on Sunday morning. On our Conference page, you will find the fee schedule, instructions about registering and/or reserving a room at the Doubletree Suites, and a complete program for the weekend. Find that at http://exmormonfoundation.org/conference2014.html

As per other years, registration and payment of fees can be done online using PayPal or credit card, or by sending a personal check to the Treasurer (info on site). It's time to start thinking about getting the registration part done, as it will avoid our Treasurer and Registration person getting overloaded towards the end. As to the hotel rooms, you will not be charged until the end of your stay.

Hope you can join us this year!

Sue Emmett
Conference Chair
The Exmormon Foundation

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 08:20PM

Sue, my wife and I are coming. It's a first for us. It'll be good to meet some kindred spirits who understand what it is like leaving the church.

Date: August 08, 2014 08:43PM

Great! I especially get excited about people being there for the first time. You will meet many new friends.

Sue

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 10:33PM

Do they have some kind of reverse-testimony-meeting there, where people stand up and tell their stories about how the church is a cult and how they're happy to be out now? Just curious... that's something I'ld like to see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2014 10:34PM by azsteve.

Date: August 08, 2014 11:47PM

Absolutely we do -- that's what Friday night is all about. We call it "Mic Time", and people have a 5 min. limit to introduce themselves and tell whatever they want to. It's an amazing way to put out connections with the other people in the room, and by the time we've heard from a lot of people, it's kind of like we're one big family. I think it's a big part of what people get from the Conference, especially if they don't have much opportunity to meet with other exmo's. After the Mic Time, we have drinks and munchies in our Hospitality Room, and have a great time!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 08, 2014 10:50PM

person who I spoke to doesn't know. The person who does know won't be in until Monday.

1. Does anyone know if there's a locked rate and what it is?

2. Does anyone want to bunk with me? I snore like a lumberjack.

I have to check flights and all that jazz, but I think I might make it.

(Wish it were Las Vegas. Ahem.) ;-)

Date: August 09, 2014 12:09AM

I get so tired of this hotel room problem. I do NOT know why their reservation clerks don't have the info on the block of rooms we have. Did you ask for "reservations"? If you were talking to just the desk clerks, they don't know much about the contract we have. They are REALLY good to us, and this is the worst of any problems we have, but it seems to happen every year. I will alert the Conf. person on Monday. The rate we have is $115 per night, with a choice of a King room, or two doubles.

Re: Las Vegas: Do you live there? If so, I would be happy to help you organize something for down there. But, the main one will always be in SLC because we can service the biggest number of people by having it in "Happy Valley". :-)

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 09, 2014 12:20AM

Yeah - it's the yearly Vegas gripe. It's like a tradition or something. :-)

I called the number on the Exmormon Foundation registration page, and the woman who answered said that she knew about the block of rooms, but she didn't know the prices. Call Monday. At least she apologized.::shrug::

Posted by: SteelHollow ( )
Date: August 09, 2014 01:10AM

Is there a younger group that attends this? I'm a younger poster
And would love to talk with younger exmos.

Date: August 09, 2014 02:44AM

What is your age, as I'm not sure what ages you mean by "younger". Also, I believe there was a group for teenagers started several years ago, but I have no info on it. If anyone else reading this does, please post.

Date: August 12, 2014 03:06PM

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 12:49AM

I'll tip a glass of something naughty your way for the honorary Eugene contingent.

Date: August 14, 2014 01:06AM

So....I'm putting my face in my trusty hat and interpreting that to mean one of two things. 1. There ARE some people coming from Eugene, but you aren't; or 2. No one is coming from Eugene. Either way, your "tipping" will be appreciated! :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.