Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 08:24AM

I know it's painful to think about, but if you calculate all the money you paid in tithing, what could you have done with all that tithing money if you had spent it elsewhere?

We could have paid a sizeable chunk of our son's college education....sigh.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 08:34AM

Well since I wont be paying tithing this month, I can buy half a transmission for my car! Yay.....

All told though, I honestly don't want to think about it.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 08:35AM

notsurewhattothink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can buy half a transmission for my car!

Which half?

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 08:58AM

Park, Reverse and Neutral! :)

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 08:35AM

I'd have probably just spent 10% more each paycheck and I'd be pretty much where I am now anyway.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 10:13AM

Only with more stuff. Unless you had a garage sale, then you would have ten percent more garage sale money.

Posted by: ghost buster ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 08:38AM

I'd have no debt.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 08:51AM

I'd have a lot more money in my 401K, and, I'd be driving a nicer car.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 09:12AM

I don't like to think about that. I'd like to have that money back again.

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 09:35AM

Don't get me started. That topic gets me feeling more angry than probably anything else. That, and how I thoughtlessly left my parents standing outside at my wedding.

Posted by: Anubis ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 09:36AM

I'm a BIC who paid since day one. I think my wife and I averaged between the two of us around 70K.

So now I drive a nicer car and I shove 10% into my 401K

I want my 70K back but for now I'll just have to be happy knowing my sister and moronic husband are getting their rent, food and bills paid by the church (or technically my 70K). they have done this for the last 5 years and lightly using church welfair since they got married 20 years ago....

Anubis

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 09:37AM

Self respect?

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 09:51AM

I would now be in a modest house without a mortgage. I'm a huge saver and would have squirreled that money away relentlessly. It was always my goal to own my house outright so as to have absolutely no debt. Odd, isn't it, that TSCC instilled that desire to be debt free and yet their doctrine prevented me from getting there.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 10:14AM

I could have moved out of my parents house five years earlier. You can't put a price on that.

Posted by: glibberish ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 02:14AM

I basically stopped paying when I was fourteen ... so I doubt I'd get more than a really nice dinner out, haha.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 02:18AM

House, life, Freedom.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 12:59PM

I never paid a cent, but I'm sure Dad could have used the $100K plus he gave over the years after a TBM shyster a$$hole took him to the cleaners in a business deal and put him into bankruptcy.

Ron Burr

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 01:17PM

Less debt. I went back to Mormonism for a very, very brief time while I was a college freshman, and my bishop told me student loans were considered a source of income and that I should pay tithing on it.

Posted by: matilda ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 01:31PM

I would own my house. Instead my husband cant work any more and i am also in hoep8tal now. The .5 million over 40 years would give me a house. Any other older people in same boat? I am scared of homelessness.

Posted by: CSU Provo Student ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 01:34PM

Maybe coulda took a trip to Hawaii and paid for the grand super duper deluxe version of the PCC fun day at the lord's theme park...

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 02:19PM

My house would have been paid for.
I would have had a car.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 04:32PM

Would have twice as much in savings. Well, that's wishful thinking, probably a few more tech toys... Haha.
I probably would have spent it as I went. I only paid on minimum wage jobs, anyway, no big loss. And my psycho mom would have made me spend my pre-mish earnings on something like a mission or some other thing she would have arbitrarily require me to pay for out of the blue...

Posted by: wanderingsheep ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 04:36PM

I would have a house.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 05:47PM

Let's not forget how much money we'd have if we hadn't gone on missions. Not only did many of us spend thousands on our missions but we had forgone 2 years working in our early adult life for money that could have paid of school debt and been invested in long term growth in a 401k.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 07:07PM

My son is going on a trip to a certain Latin American country with his Spanish class this summer. The monthly payments for the next few months are about what we were paying in tithing and about a third of what we would have needed to save for a mission for him. This will be much more fun, actually benefit not only my son and his learning Spanish, but the people he'll spend part of the time volunteering with. And, it's going to be lots more fun.

Posted by: dirtynose ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 07:24PM

six figs into tithing. put my kids through college. or buy a lot of hookers. Lol

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 07:35PM

Probably a few large soft pretzels. I was a little scam artist.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 08:06PM

Glad to see you around!

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: October 15, 2012 11:31AM

flyboy21 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Probably a few large soft pretzels. I was a
> little scam artist.

Please elaborate lol.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 07:39PM

An in-ground pool in the backyard (and that's just with the very last check I wrote). My husband inherited a boatload of money from his estranged, never-mo, bio dad. It was a random windfall out of the blue.

I was struggling with my testimony and commitment to the church that year. To "prove" to the Lord that I still believed, I tithed on that inheritance. When the bishop saw the amount I had written for tithing, he literally choked and sputtered, "Sister Shannon, that's a LOT of money!"

Yeah, it was. Somebody just shoot me now.

For months, I lived in fear that the the LDS church-hating ghost of my late FIL would come back to haunt me (for being such a dumb@ss and wasting his hard-earned money).

;o)

Posted by: adamisfree2006 ( )
Date: October 15, 2012 10:48AM

when i was in the early stages of my questioning but hadn't told my wife, she once handed me the tithing check to turn in during church. I remember thinking (for the first time EVER) to myself that I wasn't sure I wanted to turn the check in. It was a couple of months worth of tithing so a fair amount and I struggled. I wasn't ready to come out to my TBM wife then. Note: We all (her, myself & our 4 kids) resigned in 2006.

My wife and I did the calculation and figure we paid ~$150,000 in tithing during our married life. Yuck... It really sucks to think about it. I would probably have a few more toys since that is what I tended to give up during tithe paying days. I always maxed out 401K and we managed to pay upfront for our purchases. We had/have no debt.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 08:05PM

I know exactly how much I would have, as I tithed on the gross from ages 8 to 42. Since I'm frugal/cheap and like to invest, I might have been able to retire young. Makes me feel like a first class rube.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 15, 2012 06:09AM

The satisfaction of knowing you didn't pay for the mall...?

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: October 15, 2012 09:19AM

If I had invested that money and been lucky I would have a few thousand dollars today.

IF ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we would all have a Merry Christmas.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: October 15, 2012 09:47AM

Financial security in insecure times.

Priceless.

Posted by: taketheredpill ( )
Date: October 15, 2012 10:53AM

I would have 10% more of my own money, which I worked hard for and earned myself.

I wouldn't have financially supported an organization that is based on deception.

I would have been more of an individual and probably have seen through the deception sooner.

But, 10% of all my income should have been a bigger indication.

Sigh.. . . .

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 15, 2012 11:42AM

I stopped going to church soon after grad school, so I quit paying tithing by the time I really started making money. I put that money into my IRA, so know I have a good some of money that I would not have had I paid tithing.

I plan to retire on my tithing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.